Illinois flattrack riders

Looking for a few pointers and information regarding something I want to get started in.  I'm from central Illinois and would like to eventually participate in racing.  I've never ridden on dirt track before and have some questions regarding breaking into that style of racing without putting people in danger on the track.  If anyone in the area is interested I'll post some follow up questions if I get any responses.  

• Like 2

Looking for a few pointers and information regarding something I want to get started in.  I'm from central Illinois and would like to eventually participate in racing.  I've never ridden on dirt track before and have some questions regarding breaking into that style of racing without putting people in danger on the track.  If anyone in the area is interested I'll post some follow up questions if I get any responses.  
Our local track, Lawrenceburg Motorcycle Speedway, in SE Indy offers an open practice on Saturdays to all those that help clean up around the track. Maybe there is something similar in your area?
Also, our track has a "Mad Dog" Class where small displacement air cooled bikes (crf/xr 100's and 150's drz and ttr 125's) can race against one another.

I was in your same position years ago... I went to a flattrack race and just HAD to do it. I did it the hard way by building a bike and just showing up with no clue and lining up, but I found the other racers and people in the pits to be very encouraging and more than willing to help. I ended up loving it, made some lifetime friends, and had the most fun of my life over the next several years!!

I'd suggest going to a race and getting a pit pass so you can talk to the other racers. They usually like to get other's involved and are more than willing to help with bike advice, riding tips, maybe even a practice track.