123 posts in this topic

Looks like Reed likes the aluminum frame this time

IMG_2422.jpg

1 person likes this

He says he is riding it "today".  Not sure that means he has committed to it for the season.

1 person likes this

They don’t teach reading comprehension in the trailer park 

4 people like this

It's funny how everyone thinks the KTM is the bike to have but when riders have options to ride anything they seem to always choose a Jap bike...

10 people like this

27 minutes ago, Cigaro said:

It's funny how everyone thinks the KTM is the bike to have but when riders have options to ride anything they seem to always choose a Jap bike...

Reed and Barcia may be betting on Rozcen not showing up for A1 or at least having a very short season.

3 people like this

33 minutes ago, M1Garand said:

Reed and Barcia may be betting on Rozcen not showing up for A1 or at least having a very short season.

That's a solid bet.

2 hours ago, Cigaro said:

And it's always red 

4 people like this

Not true, Milsaps like yellow and Chad jelled with it too a few years back. Mookie also rode yellow and don't forget the King of Kings privateer Alessi rode one for a few years...

3 people like this

Not true, Milsaps like yellow and Chad jelled with it too a few years back. Mookie also rode yellow and don't forget the King of Kings privateer Alessi rode one for a few years...

And Wilson showed up on blue last year
2 people like this

He has a midlife crisis that he thinks the red plague will cure...

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Cigaro said:

He has a KTM as well.  He’s riding both, presumably because he’s trying to increase his chances of getting some sort of ride / factory support instead of just deciding that one or the other is destined to happen.

5 people like this

7 hours ago, DesertCR said:

Did anyone win on one?

8 hours ago, DesertCR said:

Those weren't privateer rides

Alessi was on a team getting paid 

3 people like this

14 hours ago, Cigaro said:

12 hours ago, meyermetal said:

And it's always red 

No denying that. Honda's 450 seem to be a favorite among the top pros.

1 person likes this

There are always few ktms in SX and local MX. Just because motocross action says they're faster doesn't mean they are. RC used the "tub of lard" and he creamed everyone he went up against. Who cares what they're riding, it doesn't effect any of us. If Honda was paying me more I'd race for them too.

4 people like this

5 hours ago, meyermetal said:

Those weren't privateer rides

Alessi was on a team getting paid 

Pretty sure Barcia is getting paid.... Ronnie Stewart and I think it was #75 last year also rode yellow as true privateers... but they do like Honda also. 

The rumors are him on a private Honda pitted out of another teams semi, not factory Honda.  

2 people like this

21 minutes ago, DesertCR said:

Pretty sure Barcia is getting paid.... Ronnie Stewart and I think it was #75 last year also rode yellow as true privateers... but they do like Honda also. 

Getting paid to wear gear or drink a companies piss water isn't the same as being paid to ride

From MXA "It will be Justin Barcia’s first time since his Professional debut in 2009 as a privateer"

https://motocrossactionmag.com/justin-barcia-his-monster-cup-honda-crf450/

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By megadillberry
      Hi all,
      This is my first post on here so hopefully I don't mess it up. Also hope I don't piss of any "purest" people out there as this is in no way a restoration and I have no interest in restoring it to original. 
      This is what I have been working on the last few weeks. I picked up an xr500 about a month ago for $300, it started but had no clutch lever so I didn't get a chance to ride it. I noticed later that it has a White Brothers aluminum swing arm and possibly upgraded shocks but I really don't know.

Its pretty rough but a running bike for $300 I wasn't going to complain.
      I decided i wanted to build it into something that was kind of a cross between a bobber and a scrambler and use it mainly for commuting across town to work, but still be able to tackle mild single track.
      I went though my garage and was able to come up with a front fender off of a newer honda 150r (i liked how small it was), and a rear fender off of an 04 crf250x so it has the licence plate holder an led brake lights. the front fender bolted directly on but he back took some modifying.
      From ebay I found a 21" wheel for the front (81-83 xr500) but the drum was a 131mm max dia while the original 23" was a 141mm max dia. this was quite a disappointment but I guess i should have done a little more research. I ended up putting the brake hub from a 83xl250r into it, its not perfect but it works for now.
      I then started to build a seat, while the original was quite comfy, it did not have the look I was after. I started with cardboard until I had a shape I liked. Then I cut, bent and welded it all together, luckily at work I have access to a nice break, shear, welders and scrap metal.

It turned out ok I thought for my first attempt at a seat pan. Next I put some closed cell foam on it from a sleeping pad I got from the sporting goods store. I wanted a low profile for the look so the thickest part is only about an inch thick. I used a steak knife to trim the foam and it worked alright, I ended up covering all the edges with gorilla tape to smooth it out.

I then covered it with marine vinyl I found at Jo Ann fabric. Instead of cutting and sewing to get the material to fit right I used a heat gun which stretched the material enough for a "good" fit. I used 3m spray glue and a metal plate on the bottom to secure the cover, its holding so far.

Here it is with the seat all finished. I also found some horrendously cheap foot pegs for a yz bike from (99-05), I think they are a cast steel of some sort. I guess you cant complain much for $15. they required a little grinding to fit but seem to work good enough.

I was finally able to take it out this last weekend and had a blast, it runs way better than a $300 bike should. I had to remember how to engine break as I usually ride a 2t with good brakes, it turns out they went away from drums for a reason. My seat wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be out on the single and double track. We also went out to some hill climbs and the 500 impressed me with amount of torque it delivered at any rpm. This bike is much different than anything I've ridden before between its torque and having almost no weight over the back tire.
      As far as the seating position goes, I actually like how compact it feels. I also think the low profile seat goes with lines of the bike rather well so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially for being my first try at making one.

Next for this build I would like to make it street legal. I'm not looking forward to figuring out whats going on with the wiring and converting from 6v to 12 as the components I have are 12v and i would like to have the front light be a LED light bar. I have a different bike that I am thinking about adding lighting to using a rechargeable battery like a Milwaukee m12 or something, so maybe I will go that route.
      I would also like to figure out an exhaust for this at some point so i don't get kicked out of my neighborhood.
      Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear what you think and any suggestions you may have.
    • By 95s10nj
      2016 Yamaha YZ250F vet owned and is extremely clean. Perfect condition one owner bike. I challenge you to find a cleaner used bike than this one. Motor is all stock and approximately 40 hours on the bike. This bike is the best bike I've had in a long time and wouldn't be selling if I wasn't going back to kart racing.
      Cycra Plastics
      ProTaper Handlebars Reed Bend
      Protaper Twister Throttle Tube
      Cycra Skid Plate
      Protaper Sprockets w/ RKGB520MXZ4 Chain
      Dunlop MX3S Tires
      Twin Air Filter w/ NoToil Super-Flo Cage
      About 10 hours on Factory Connection Rebuilt Suspension
      Get C1 Wireless Hour Meter
      Front wheel is a DID LT-X w/ Bulldog Spokes laced to stock hub
      Blue CV4 Y-Hose Kit

• By ivengefulnicki
      I have a 2008 Honda crf 450x and when I turn to the right the clutch lets out further and when I turn to the left the clutch lets out close. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    • By xrchristopher
      Hi, 
      I have a question about my xr250.  Its having problems with the kickstarter and I came here to see if anyone had some insight.  I was riding it the other day, and I use it for a sort of long commute so i was going 65-75 for about 30 min.  The bike shut off, tires didn't lock up, but i pulled the clutch in and rolled off to the side. tried kicking it over but it was immediately locked.  You can see in the picture where the kickstarter stops at.  its completely dead locked at that point, no give at all.  rolls in neutral still.  brought it home, opened up the oil to check for anything strange but looks clean.  as far as the bikes condition previously, it has an oil leak coming from the head, i think i did it the few months i had it.  the sleeve that holds the exhaust into the head popped off, rode it like that for a few days before replacing the part.  a week before this problem.  I'm completely amateur to bikes, but i want to take a crack at it and get this thing fixed up.  the oil level in the bike may have been slightly overfilled as well.  i was topping off because of the leak.   where would be the best place to begin here?  
      Thanks for helping

• By YamaGoose
      Hey my buddy has a honda crf450r and started making noises recently, or a while ago, we thought nothing of it, thought maybe the chain or something, the bikes always coming up with problems, but they got louder, and so he stopped riding it and is gonna look into it. Does anyone have any ideas what it is? To be specific, it sounds like a clanking that sounds like if your chain is loose, but in the top end like where the cams or piston is. Any idea?