kyle01

Fastway System 3 steering damper

23 posts in this topic

Anybody running one of these on a Beeeeta?  I'll call them tomorrow... website is confusing at best.  Lists a clamp for my 430 but doesn't list a post (under OR over bar mounting) but I ask- why would they make the clamp if they didn't make a post that worked with it?!?  I ask because I stumbled onto a brand new damper- just need the mounting... looks trick compared to the WER I ran on my GasGas.  

Anyhow, I'll call tomorrow.  But if there's a chance for instant information I'm all for not waiting!  

Kyle

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, kyle01 said:

Anybody running one of these on a Beeeeta?  I'll call them tomorrow... website is confusing at best.  Lists a clamp for my 430 but doesn't list a post (under OR over bar mounting) but I ask- why would they make the clamp if they didn't make a post that worked with it?!?  I ask because I stumbled onto a brand new damper- just need the mounting... looks trick compared to the WER I ran on my GasGas.  

Anyhow, I'll call tomorrow.  But if there's a chance for instant information I'm all for not waiting!  

Kyle

So why is this damper looking better than what’s already available ?? Just wondering.. Are you needing a damper ? Any head shake or whatever? Or does this just look like a nice and different mod? 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

No headshake,  the beta is really stable (especially at speed- and with a good set of tires) but I noticeably fight more with it than the GasGas in slippery "baby head" rock sections and through stumps/roots (especially when wet) 

The reason I've ended up with the fastway- a buddy who owes me some $$$ has one for a CR woods bike build that he abandoned.  He said if I could use it- take it.  Nice looking unit but if it doesn't fit, it's a moot point.  

1 person likes this

I have the Fastway System 3 on my 2017 300 RR RE.  You will need a new dust cap for the steering head (Fastway includes it with their full kit but if you call them they will sell it separately).  The stock dust cap binds up on the clamp.  I have both the over and under bar mount.  Went with the over bar mount as the under made my bars too tall.  The post for the over bar mount is quite long.  Fastway has great customer service just call 'em up and tell them you have the damper and just need the post, post mount and dust cap.  

The 300 is a pretty stable bike and I haven't had much of a need for a steering damper but i'm doing a pretty fast desert race with lots of sand washes and fun hidden rocks this weekend so I slapped it back on.  Steering damper is definitely helpful in those situations, don't really like it when i'm rock crawling though.

1 person likes this

I have a Scott’s damper sitting around for a couple years now that came off my cr 250 honda. I thought I might use it on my Betas but haven’t needed it either. Yea for a desert race maybe it’s good to have?? Yea Betas have all been stable for me.I thought if I had extra money for a mount I might put it on anyway .. It’s sort of a fancy hood ornament...but the money can go to more important things which could be a lot of things. 

1 person likes this

On 10/12/2017 at 0:35 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

So why is this damper looking better than what’s already available ?? Just wondering.. Are you needing a damper ? Any head shake or whatever? Or does this just look like a nice and different mod? 

The main difference of the Fastway damper is it has the normal damping for offroad for things like rocks and shit.  It also has low-speed damping kind of like on a sports bike.  I can see where the low-speed functionality would help some.  I've played with mine a bit.  If I'm hauling ass on a fire road, it does smooth things out.  Haven't had speed wobble though but it would obviously help with that.  I usually have my low-speed way down.

I think the Fastway is a good piece of kit.  My failing wrists also like it.

I like the fastway for the more control hitting roots and rocks . Most of my riding is 2-3 gear and with it the bike is far more settled ,also at 6 ft the under bar set up suits me well too 

3 hours ago, MFGamesta said:

The main difference of the Fastway damper is it has the normal damping for offroad for things like rocks and shit.  It also has low-speed damping kind of like on a sports bike.  I can see where the low-speed functionality would help some.  I've played with mine a bit.  If I'm hauling ass on a fire road, it does smooth things out.  Haven't had speed wobble though but it would obviously help with that.  I usually have my low-speed way down.

I think the Fastway is a good piece of kit.  My failing wrists also like it.

For your Beta??

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

For your Beta??

Yes.  System 3 under bar kit.  It does raise the bars a bit but my son is 6'4" and we swap bikes all the time and it doesn't really bother me.

I could do without it but I don't.

1 person likes this

Maybe it's just me being used to the damper I had on my GasGas??  Maybe I don't want to admit that the extra heft of my 430 is noticeable in the shit??  

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, kyle01 said:

Maybe it's just me being used to the damper I had on my GasGas??  Maybe I don't want to admit that the extra heft of my 430 is noticeable in the shit??  

I had a Scott’s on my 525 Beta then took it off when I changed triple clamps . I can feel a difference but it’s small. When I got my first 300 rr I thought I could put it on that but didn’t need it. And for my 350rr It felt stable too. Hey the last time I rode had a guy riding a street legal 430 RS riding with us in some gnarly trails. It’s so cool that he could ride home on the street with it. He charged a gnarly steep brand new hill just cut  too. He didn’t have a damper either.

That was my reasoning with the 430... I wanted a bike that I could connect trails on. And here I n Wisconsin there are so many opportunities for riding IF you have a plated bike so I went for it.  If I could afford a 300rr I'd have one as well, the guys I ride with are all on 300 betas, one X trainer so I've got my work cut out for me.  2t betas are getting street titles in WI for now too, I probably should have just gotten a 300!

1 person likes this

Unlike KTMs, Betas do not have the dreaded headshake. However, a damper (any manufacturer) will certainly help on rough rocky trails....I'm running a Scotts and guaranteed it's helped me out countless times.

2 people like this

My '17 500 RR-S got headshake above 60 mph until I put the Scotts stabilizer on it. I mostly ride desert but when I hit single track I just dial back the low speed damping circuit to full open so I can steer without resistance. High speed damping is still there if/when I hit rocks. If I rode single track only I could deal without it, but I see no downside to them if adjusted properly. 

1 person likes this

Low speed adjustability is key... I used to run a WER which only has one damping circuit but by design has little/no damping just off center in both directions.  It worked well for me.  

1 person likes this

Absolutely impossible to ride the terrain I ride without a Scotts damper.  You are asking for a broken collar bone if you don't......

The Fastway damper is really good for over 60mph in the desert, but it never has the feel the Scotts has with everything else.  It's too inconsistent and vauge....no matter how you adjust it.   I had one on a CRFR and a WRF, and sold them both. 

1 person likes this

Well there ya go... even for the low price of free it sounds like I'd be better served without it.  Thanks. 

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, kyle01 said:

Well there ya go... even for the low price of free it sounds like I'd be better served without it.  Thanks. 

Don't take my word for it. I'm 'Mr Stongly Opinionated' around here..... but then I've had 19 different bikes in 11 years and have ridden over 3,000 hours....so what do I know...

1 person likes this