lowmass

MX Revival

50 posts in this topic

https://motocrossactionmag.com/rumors-gossip-unfounded-truths-two-gimmick-races-before-testing-season-starts/

Scroll down to MXA add of the week and you will see the basic platform that would help our sport IF it was a fare system anyway ;).

With the exception of the chain torque eliminator mechanism this is the basic platform I would like to see some rouge American company start building. Larger displacement mello tuned air cooled 2 strokes with up to date chassis and suspensions. 

ATK where are you? your time has come........

2 people like this

You'd be surprised how well the 406's still work today.  My '93 still runs like a champ, the suspension re valve I had done on it makes it a joy to ride.

2 people like this

26 minutes ago, 07ATKEnduro said:

You'd be surprised how well the 406's still work today.  My '93 still runs like a champ, the suspension re valve I had done on it makes it a joy to ride.

yes that motor was quite good. Learn to shift and I bet competative against 450 4s in many classes today.

AND what could such a bike weigh? somthing like 210 lbs??

55 minutes ago, meyermetal said:

I don't think these would be competitive

hondameetthepeoplead.jpg

My kids learned how to carry momentum into a turn ridding those old mopeds! No power meant momentum was the game. We had a blast racing those things around the yard

Edited by lowmass
4 people like this

29 minutes ago, lowmass said:

yes that motor was quite good. Learn to shift and I bet competative against 450 4s in many classes today.

221 according to MXA which is 1 pound lighter than the KTM 450

http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/4/5/4845046/dbnov90atk406mx.pdf

3 people like this

I have an XC, so its prolly a littler heavier than that, its feels like the same weight as my CR 250

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, meyermetal said:

221 according to MXA which is 1 pound lighter than the KTM 450

http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/4/5/4845046/dbnov90atk406mx.pdf

yea and that old motor probably 5 lbs or so heavyer than nessasary

15 minutes ago, 07ATKEnduro said:

I have an XC, so its prolly a littler heavier than that, its feels like the same weight as my CR 250

I believe they had a short wheelbase and steep head angle. Twitchy at speed but probly "feels" light in motion.

The Alta is interesting, I guess ;) , BUT dam I could get excited about a well balanced light weight mello tune 400 cc two with up to date suspension at about 2/3 the price of a new 4T.

Isnt there some bored rich guy that needs somthin to do ? Would be a fun enterprise even if it did fail

The old kx 500 weighs the same as a husky FC 250

1 person likes this

The 18 CRF 450 winner of 2 shootout weighs 30lb more

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, lowmass said:

My kids learned how to carry momentum into a turn ridding those old mopeds! No power meant momentum was the game. We had a blast racing those things around the yard

Get all your buds on xr100's at a tt/flat track and prepare to have more fun than you thought possible on little bikes.  

I can see how mopeds would be similar.  

Edited by KTMRider4Life
3 people like this

49 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Get all your buds on xr100's at a tt/flat track and prepare to have more fun than you thought possible on little bikes.  

That sounds like a ton of fun!

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

xr100s are a marvelous machine. Best 6hp anything ever made. You got friends who haven't ridden in 10 or 20 years? Invite em over and let em ride the xr100 for a few hours and they might consider dirtbiking again. :ride:

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

xr100s are a marvelous machine. Best 6hp anything ever made. You got friends who haven't ridden in 10 or 20 years? Invite em over and let em ride the xr100 for a few hours and they might consider dirtbiking again. :ride:

I keep getting the itch to get into the vintage thing.  Unfortunately, I think my days of riding and racing current stuff is over, but I've always had a passion for the 1982 RM250, must be when I was really getting into bikes.  Plus, the vintage guys do it more for fun and I won't be feeling like I'll have to do the quad to trophy.  :lol:  It would be more about the fun, fixing up the bike, etc.

1982_rm250_l.jpg

9 people like this

3 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

truth

1 hour ago, jcm3 said:

I keep getting the itch to get into the vintage thing.  Unfortunately, I think my days of riding and racing current stuff is over, but I've always had a passion for the 1982 RM250, must be when I was really getting into bikes.  Plus, the vintage guys do it more for fun and I won't be feeling like I'll have to do the quad to trophy.  :lol:  It would be more about the fun, fixing up the bike, etc.

1982_rm250_l.jpg

Ive never ridden any bike that would absorb sharp square edge bumps like the rear end of that bike

2 people like this

I read a funny interview with Horst Lietner.   "I use CAD to design my inventions.   Cardboard Aided Design."   He would use cardboard with brass paper fasteners to make prototypes.  Explore how to make linkages work.   His AMP link suspension for mtn bikes is one of the best.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, jcm3 said:

That sounds like a ton of fun!

You have no idea unless you've done it, I do it with a group of old guys that have been racing flat tank since the 70's from time to time.  It someone gets pretty serious and we've had some people get really mad after getting bumped or knocked down

2 hours ago, Chaconne said:

Pro road racers train on them too, it's a marvelous tool to learn to go fast on. Ive got two, one that's street legal. 

FB_IMG_1492186301218.jpg

FB_IMG_1507852391195.jpg

FB_IMG_1507852381267.jpg

FB_IMG_1507852924695.jpg

5 people like this

8 hours ago, meyermetal said:

I don't think these would be competitive

hondameetthepeoplead.jpg

they might not be competitive unless you're looking from a sales perspective....Honda has sold more of these than any other  motorcycle.....talk about a money maker....

Edited by Budlite
2 people like this

I could see that 406 being a great do it all off road bike today.  I'd rather have it scaled down a bit, maybe 350cc, but keep it in an air cooled Rotax engine,  linkless rear end, and 6-speed.  At a realistic price that reflects the relative lack of technology, and I'd hand over the money tomorrow.  

3 people like this