Anyone run a DH mountain bike full face helmet?

The last time me and a buddy rode, it was hot, humid, and miserable, and our regular dirtbike helmets were like swimming pools.  After that ride I vowed to find something different.

Just picked up a Fox Proframe MIPS helmet, and WOW what a difference.  I'm old and slow, and would not recommend this helmet to anyone doing MX, high speed desert racing, or any Dual Sport on road stuff, but for woods riding it's incredible.  Feels and fits like a bicycle helmet, so it doesn't have all the comfort padding, but it's so light and ventilated I can't get over it.  The top downhill bike riders are using it, and they are faster than me at times, so I figure it's OK for my use. 

Anyone else use one of these?  If not, look at your riding style, and check it out. 

Note, not affiliated blah blah.  Interest lies in if I am the only one trying this out on a dirtbike.

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. :cool:

Does make sense as yeah a lot of the mtn bike downhillers are freakin flying, and would certainly impact their head with probably more force than this old dude..

I have my DH helmet sitting on top of my bookselve and never thought of using it for motorcycle.

It is a speed/strength issue. If your speeds are well under 30 mph, A MB helmet 'might be' adequate. The issues begs the question, what does 'might be' mean and is that a gamble you want to take? Not me. Flip flops, a speedo and a tank tee might be adequate too.

Got a $10 head? Wear a $10 helmet.

ATGATT

16 minutes ago, William1 said:

It is a speed/strength issue. If your speeds are well under 30 mph, A MB helmet 'might be' adequate. The issues begs the question, what does 'might be' mean and is that a gamble you want to take? Not me. Flip flops, a speedo and a tank tee might be adequate too.

ATGATT

So I'm much better off than most of the guys with lower end helmets as I paid $250??  The helmet is subject to impact standards, and the singletrack and some doubletrack I ride I am well below 30mph.  It also satisfies EN 1078:2012+A1:2012- and the ATSM standards. 

I'm an ATGATT rider, street or dirt...

1 minute ago, Wraith0513 said:

So I'm much better off than most of the guys with lower end helmets as I paid $250??  The helmet is subject to impact standards, and the singletrack and some doubletrack I ride I am well below 30mph.  It also satisfies EN 1078:2012+A1:2012- and the ATSM standards. 

I'm an ATGATT rider, street or dirt...

You are better off as long as the helmet does not fail you. Remember what Clint said...'Do you feel lucky, well do you?' When I ride, I use the best protective gear. I have not crashed in over 20 years. But all it takes is one bad day. Good gear can make the difference of a 'good story' from an obit. When I drive a car, my seat belt is TIGHT.

The helmet the OP is talking about is top of the line, and it is MIPS.  I still think this is definitely something to consider.  I wouldn't do this with a Walmart helmet, but the use of the good downhill mtb helmet in heat at technical trail speeds sounds like a winner to me.

There has never been any test that proves  that an expensive helmet is of any greater safety than a cheaper helmet that meets the same standards. Never.

Flipside is at the speeds these DH bike dudes are hitting maybe they should consider an mx helmet.

The TLD SE4 carbon os only 7 oz heavier than their D3 mountain bike helmet and snell and dot rated

My issue is not the weight but the heat which is the thrust of this thread. Gonna look at some other brands, the Fox stuff is real ugly. 

Ya I use DH MTN bike Race Face elbow/knee protection and IMO great lightweight stuff their works great for me and D3o awesome.

Anyway I have no problems looking at cross over gear so....

Dirt bike helmets -  a $150 one is going to give you the same basic protection as $400 one but the more expensive one will have more features and most likely lighter weight.

Otherwise I have not looked into DH MTN bike helmets BUT I'm now interested and I've got 3 GOOD mountain bike shops in my town and know most of the dudes so I'm pop in and see what they have to say :)

My Bell Moto 9 is so ventilated that in the winter I have to put tape on the intakes or it makes my head cold.

5 hours ago, William1 said:

ATGATT

There has been a few studies showing DOT standards were  to much for street accidents let alone dirt. Euro standards are "softer" by design. 

Ive been looking at DH /BMX helmets for the lasy year+ online. The one shop way out of town i visited was out of stock in my size.  I hate buying without trying for fit. i want one! 

The Fox Proframe doesn't give much protection from roost hitting your face. There are other DH models that have more face protection.

This study says at lower speed crashes, a foam helmet with no hard shell would protect your brain better than a stiff shell and lower cost plastic shells is better than fiberglass/carbon fiber. 

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/MotorcyclistHelmets.html

I wear a Kali Shiva 2.0 which is from a DH MTB helmet manufacturer. However, they do make "moto" helmets now and the Kali Shiva is rated for both as it has many certifications including DOT. I love the lightweight, good air flow, smaller size, and the better protection it provides over most MX type helmets. I recommend checking one out and decide for yourself.

had a friend who would wear one in the summer when he would ride his local spot which was tech singletrack. the helmet was much lighter and after seeing this thread I might get one for the summer. those DH guys go as fast or faster then we do. if you don't believe me search youtube.