Wr450f Vs Crf450x

I Currently am looking at either bike. After seeing the ever so lovely and modern wr450f I've been drooling but, a lot of people tend to prefer the 450x. I need advice on what you would get and why. I currently have a xr400 dualsport that I absolutely love and I will be making the new bike I get a duals sport as well. Each bike will be a 2017 or 2018. (whatever the dealer has). I like the simple carburetor of the crf450x and the ease of modding it seems like it has and the wr450f throttle stop kinda ruins it for me. Fuel injection doesn't seem bad on the chillier days either. The xr400 is more of my reliable long distance dualsport so the new bike will be only on short road burst. I live in ohio so that general area will be riding. Open fields, sometimes tight woods and just cruising. I'm also worried is it worth getting either bike if I'm not a fast rider? My friend who takes his mx bike riding with cant go that slow or his bike starts to run to hot(liquid cooled) as my xr keeps chugging on? I know about the added maintence as well for the bikes. Just want opinions really. I'm six foot tall and 185. In the end do I Just stick with the xr for my riding? Ive always wanted to buy a bike new and feel the something new feel. Both bikes are extremely rare to find used around me and if they pop up they've been abused or get sold within the hour. I do not want a ktm or husky so don't recommend them. Just focus on the wr and 450x

The carb is not simpler than fuel injection, atleast to me.  If i was going new,  and had the chance to have FI, thats what i would do.

I went street legal on a WR, and having the yellow wire for the taillight was really nice. Im not sure if the 450x is set up the same way. 

Its getting to the time of year where you will pick up a steal on anything with two wheels. I would wait it out a little and get something used. Either bike will be fine for you it sounds like.

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that people prefer the 450X over the WR450F.  The 450x hasnt been updated in years.  The 2016+ WR is considered leap years ahead.  Also dont get the concern about the WR throttle stop.  You remove it and replace it when you buy performance ECU kit.  The newer fuel injected bikes you will need to remove and replace the ECU with a programmable one (~$125) and plan on getting the Yamaha tuner for changing the fuel mappng (~$230).

Feel free to read through the WR450F and CRF450X forums if you haven already...should give you good (but biased feedback).

FYI...I love Honda automobiles but was surprised to find the Honda dirt bikes arent held in the same high esteem due to several issues and the lack of investment/innovation in the offroad models.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, revilingfool said:

The carb is not simpler than fuel injection, atleast to me.  If i was going new,  and had the chance to have FI, thats what i would do.

I went street legal on a WR, and having the yellow wire for the taillight was really nice. Im not sure if the 450x is set up the same way. 

Its getting to the time of year where you will pick up a steal on anything with two wheels. I would wait it out a little and get something used. Either bike will be fine for you it sounds like.

1 hour ago, SilvFx said:

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that people prefer the 450X over the WR450F.  The 450x hasnt been updated in years.  The 2016+ WR is considered leap years ahead.  Also dont get the concern about the WR throttle stop.  You remove it and replace it when you buy performance ECU kit.  The newer fuel injected bikes you will need to remove and replace the ECU with a programmable one (~$125) and plan on getting the Yamaha tuner for changing the fuel mappng (~$230).

Feel free to read through the WR450F and CRF450X forums if you haven already...should give you good (but biased feedback).

FYI...I love Honda automobiles but was surprised to find the Honda dirt bikes arent held in the same high esteem due to several issues and the lack of investment/innovation in the offroad models.

People say the crf450x just "works" even over its design compared to modern bikes. By simpler I mean try fixing efi on the trail vs a carb. Its rare but efi can go wrong. Ive been searching for a wr personally for over a year now. I mean that is the newer one(2012 and newer) and I only ever found one and he wanted as much as a new one. Ive considered the 450x because it is more common. 

13 minutes ago, Timmy Chonga said:

People say the crf450x just "works" even over its design compared to modern bikes. By simpler I mean try fixing efi on the trail vs a carb. Its rare but efi can go wrong. Ive been searching for a wr personally for over a year now. I mean that is the newer one(2012 and newer) and I only ever found one and he wanted as much as a new one. Ive considered the 450x because it is more common. 

aaah...was thinking that you were comparing new or relatively new ones of both models.  Yep when looking for used models I always look for best year/price/condition combination.  Would look for KLX450R, CRF450X, WR450F, KTM 450 XC-W.  Honestly, the performance of used ones arent that much different between manufactuers and that is the some of the trade-off you may have to deal with when buying used.

I'm guessing its a regional difference.  Here in Colorado, I see a lot more WRs than CRFX's...especially from 2007 forward.  The only problem that I can see with EFI on the trail is clogged injector, fuel pump failure or clogged filter.  If you look at the fiche for the FI vs. carburetor there are a lot fewer parts on the FI to fail.  Havent read of any issues with regard to WR fuel pump failures.  The only issue I have seen on the 2012-2015 WR FI bikes is hard starting issues when hot and using the elec start.  I see that same issue on carbed WR's too unless you run a lithium battery.

Good luck with your search.

2017 CRF450X if it share the chassie and the engine with 2017 CRF450R then go for it , it seems the honda ging back to the sweet 2008 geometry in 2017 and most of the rider like them so much . 

Either bike will serve you well.

I'd take the WR simply for the EFI.

8 hours ago, Timmy Chonga said:

there are less parts with FI. injector, pump, filter, ecu. If by rare you mean ecu then sure, thats not really something you can fix without a backup. Yet, are you really going out onto the trail knowing something might leave you stranded with the carb? this doesn't make sense to me.  

If your not going street legal with the bike, there has been no reason presented not to buy the 450x's you have seen. You even prefer the carb'd setup it has. get the 450x and go ride. Going riding is the most important thing, not what color your on.