Koyo v/s SKF Crank bearings

I have the option of either installing SKF bearings or Koyo bearings . I was told by my local parts / Bearing retailer that SKF makes high quality brgs . 

Koyo have also earned a great reputation being a trusted brand as well .

I'm seeking the opinions of the forum on this choice . 

Thanks for your input on this matter !

Application :  1984 YZ 250L 

s-l300.jpg

SKF-6300_Series-Seals_f6337421-65fc-4578-b84f-eefc68732304_grande.jpg

Whichever is cheaper works for me.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

Koyos are made in Japan.  Some of the SKFs are made in Mexico.  They both have a good reputation, but if given the choice and price being equal I'd go with Koyo.

just get the proper clearance (c3 or c4)

Crank bearings often have other than normal clearances so check with the bike mfg before buying, or buy OEM.

Other bearings will be normal clearance so anything will work. Wheel bearings usually fail from contamination so buy sealed. 

When looking at SKF or Koyo brg numbers , what part of the part number pertains to the internal clearance ? Or , does it even work that way ?? 

Thanks for the heads up info  !!

If I recall correctly, one of the number is a hardness factor. FWIW saving a couple bucks on mains isn't worth it to me. Yamaha uses Koyo and that's what I put back in.

I stoped by my local Yammy dealer and asked about the crank bearing clearance spec of the OEM bearings , and he told me that its not a spec that listed in the repair manuals or part microfiche .  Does anyone have this info they would mind sharing  ?   Thank you !

I like fag bearings
IMG_1650.jpg

On 10/15/2017 at 2:00 PM, Mikethe80srocker said:

I stoped by my local Yammy dealer and asked about the crank bearing clearance spec of the OEM bearings , and he told me that its not a spec that listed in the repair manuals or part microfiche .  Does anyone have this info they would mind sharing  ?   Thank you !

The additional clearance (c3 or c4) is due to the double interference fit seen in crankshaft applications. Most bearings without specified clearance are CN which is between c2 and c3. and could potentially end up being to tight when the outer race gets smaller and the inner race get larger due to the interference fits. CN is designed for just one race to be in interference and C! and C2 are for precision applications with very accurate light fits

Koyo is at least factory yz bearings, my crank bearings lasted I believe 17 years, I didn't buy the bike new but have owned over 10 years. Just did a complete over the winter. Factory brand in there at least

10 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

The additional clearance (c3 or c4) is due to the double interference fit seen in crankshaft applications. Most bearings without specified clearance are CN which is between c2 and c3. and could potentially end up being to tight when the outer race gets smaller and the inner race get larger due to the interference fits. CN is designed for just one race to be in interference and C! and C2 are for precision applications with very accurate light fits

Talked to a local bearing supplier guy today , and told him my situation , and he said without any doubt a good quality brand with the C3 will work 100% in that application .

He wants to sell me a pair of these : SKF 6202-2RS1/C3 ( Made in the USA )