Help, '18 FE501 Lost Clutch Pressure

I have a 2018 FE 501 and today I lost clutch pressure after riding. It has less than 600 miles, I think about 450ish. I opened the reservoir cap and there was fluid but it looked low. Now the pressure seems to have slowly come back, I haven't done anything to it besides checking the fluid level. Has anyone else experienced this same issue this soon? Does it sound like the slave cylinder is shot or could it be something simple? I'd rather not have to take it to the dealer if I don't have to as they are about 3hours away but I'm thinking I might have to. If anyone has a simple test I can do to determine if the slave cylinder is shot that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

This has been a issue with Magura slaves. The o-ring they used doesn’t work with brake fluid. You’ll find a lot of guys dealing with this. Trouble is, you can just buy the new o-ring. They want to sell you a replacement slave that’s going to fail again. Allballs and some others are working on a repair kit. I’m sure some else will know more and guide you. I have a Rekluse slave on my 2018 TX 300, so I think I’m good, unless the master gets messed up.

1 hour ago, CMS_IV said:

It has less than 600 miles, I think about 450ish... I'd rather not have to take it to the dealer if I don't have to as they are about 3hours away but I'm thinking I might have to. 

That should be a warranty item. Your bike has a 6 month warranty on it. I got mine replaced under warranty - barely.

Is that 3 hour drive worth $250? Because that is how much your new parts will cost if you do it yourself.

Edited by Filipe

Yeah I think I'm just going to take the bike to the dealer, it'll cost me less than $100 in gas and that's worth it to me. I've been working on my vehicles for over 15 years, I'm not afraid to tackle a slave cylinder replacement but the whole reason I bought a brand new bike was so I wouldn't have to. I don't know for sure that the slave cylinder failing because I haven't tried troubleshooting it yet. Tomorrow I'm going to bleed the clutch and fill the reservoir and work the clutch and see if the fluid level changes. Or do you guys suggest I just take it to the dealer and have them figure it out? If the slave is leaking could I possibly mess up by doing this troubleshooting process? 

Sorry to hear, I have a '17 that hasn't failed. yet.. Read the thread referenced above, lots of good info. I wouldn't just add fluid, problem will still be there, waiting to return and ruin your day. Replace some parts or take it back to the dealer. I can't believe there is not a replacement seal for the Magura slave that will hold up better.  This issue should be a recall.

13 hours ago, 556er said:

Sorry to hear, I have a '17 that hasn't failed. yet.. Read the thread referenced above, lots of good info. I wouldn't just add fluid, problem will still be there, waiting to return and ruin your day. Replace some parts or take it back to the dealer. I can't believe there is not a replacement seal for the Magura slave that will hold up better.  This issue should be a recall.

I agree it should either be recalled or KTM/Husqvarna should change vendors and go with something more reliable. I’m surprised KTM hasn’t held Magura’s feet to the fire and made them fix the issue. They have to be losing more money to warranty work I don’t get why they don’t do anything about it. But Anyway I spoke with my dealer today and he told me it’s still under warranty and to bring it in. So I’m going that’s what I'm going to do. I’ll report back and let everyone know what they say the problem is. Thank you all for helping me and giving me some good info, I’m knew to the whole forum thing and so far i can tell this is a great community. Oh and one more thing if anyone on here lives in Florida and wants a new riding buddy let me know the only person I ride with is my dad and we both are looking to meet new riding friends. 

14 hours ago, CMS_IV said:

I agree it should either be recalled or KTM/Husqvarna should change vendors and go with something more reliable. I’m surprised KTM hasn’t held Magura’s feet to the fire and made them fix the issue. They have to be losing more money to warranty work I don’t get why they don’t do anything about it. But Anyway I spoke with my dealer today and he told me it’s still under warranty and to bring it in. So I’m going that’s what I'm going to do. I’ll report back and let everyone know what they say the problem is. Thank you all for helping me and giving me some good info, I’m knew to the whole forum thing and so far i can tell this is a great community. Oh and one more thing if anyone on here lives in Florida and wants a new riding buddy let me know the only person I ride with is my dad and we both are looking to meet new riding friends. 

If you take it to the dealer for a warranty replacement, I would insist they replace it with a Brembo slave.  Another Magura unit will fail again down the road.  Probably when you're 20 miles away from any help.  

You can buy a Brembo replacement for about $90.  Or you can buy a Oberon CLU-1000 for about $120-130 shipped (pretty fast shipping from the UK).

What part of Florida are you located?  If in the panhandle, I'm just west of you in lower Alabama.

Mark

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2017 at 3:44 PM, CMS_IV said:

I have a 2018 FE 501 and today I lost clutch pressure after riding. It has less than 600 miles, I think about 450ish. I opened the reservoir cap and there was fluid but it looked low. Now the pressure seems to have slowly come back, I haven't done anything to it besides checking the fluid level. Has anyone else experienced this same issue this soon? Does it sound like the slave cylinder is shot or could it be something simple? I'd rather not have to take it to the dealer if I don't have to as they are about 3hours away but I'm thinking I might have to. If anyone has a simple test I can do to determine if the slave cylinder is shot that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Take that 100 bucks and buy the oberon and never worry about it again.  I got mine replaced under warranty, and anticipated the replacement's failure.  I got the oberon for piece of mind.  I had to ride home 20 miles without a clutch.  not too bad on the trails but once I hit the street, it was dangerous.  

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, markbfe501 said:

If you take it to the dealer for a warranty replacement, I would insist they replace it with a Brembo slave.  Another Magura unit will fail again down the road.  Probably when you're 20 miles away from any help.  

You can buy a Brembo replacement for about $90.  Or you can buy a Oberon CLU-1000 for about $120-130 shipped (pretty fast shipping from the UK).

What part of Florida are you located?  If in the panhandle, I'm just west of you in lower Alabama.

Mark

Ok so I took the bike to the dealer yesterday and when I told them what the problem was the tech told me they are aware of this issue and there is a fix for it and the fix is putting the KTM Brembo slave cylinder on it. So I then asked him if he had them in stock which he did, but apparently they didn't have the bleeder screw for the Brembo slave in stock so I had to leave the bike there while we wait for the part to be delivered to the dealer. I called them today to ask if it was SOP to change the oil too when they change a slave cyl on warranty work and he said "I'll look at the oil and if there's break fluid in it then we will definitely change it but if not then we won't" so then I said "well if the slave fails the break fluid has to go somewhere and I can tell you right now that it didn't leak out, there was no sign of break fluid on the outside of the motor." so he said yeah I agree it has to go somewhere and that's the only place it could have gone but I'll keep you posted" I will not leave there without them changing the oil at no cost to me! But once I get the bike back I'll post pics of the new slave cylinder for y'all.

Oh and Markbfe501 I'm in north east Florida about an hour south of Jax North of Daytona.

Edited by CMS_IV
  • Like 1

My dealer changed my oil twice.... so they said. This was when my bike was still under it's 6 month warranty.

They will not replace my 2nd failed Magura with a Brembo - only another Magura. Seems to be the modus operandus. Husqvarna is obviously in bed with Magura. So I will pony up for the Brembo slave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Filipe said:

My dealer changed my oil twice.... so they said. This was when my bike was still under it's 6 month warranty.

They will not replace my 2nd failed Magura with a Brembo - only another Magura. Seems to be the modus operandus. Husqvarna is obviously in bed with Magura. So I will pony up for the Brembo slave.

Disappointing.  Oh well, if that's he worst thing wrong with these bikes . . .

Picked up my Brembo slave this afternoon. I bought the left and bottom LONGER bolts too. If you are going to do this mod, realize the Brembo slave is Thicker than the Magura on the left and bottom - same thickness on the right. Also realize if you don't have a banjo fitting on the end of your clutch pipe(hose), you will need to replace the entire hose. Dealer replaced mine the first time under warranty.

Took me about 30 minutes (because my buddy and I spent about 4 hours doing his - including 2 trips to the hardware store). Changing oil tomorrow and test, test, test.

Oh, and the dealer told me torque spec is 10Nm on these bolts. The aluminum case is SOFT.

Edited by Filipe
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Filipe said:

Wow I'm sorry to hear that bud. My dealer seems to be interested in keeping an established customer by acknowledging the problem and fixing it rather than putting the same failing part back on. You should put that dealer on blast and let everyone know what dealer you bought the bike from and where they are located so they don't make the mistake of buying from a dealer that doesn't take care of their customers after the sale. My dealer is WMR Power sports in Stuart, FL and so far I don't have anything bad to say about them, but rest assured if I do have any bad experiences with them I will definitely let everyone know. 

Nah, I dont wanna do that. I actually really like my dealer. They treat me pretty good. They give me a good discount on all my parts and accessories. They've helped me with mapping and desmog. I can't complain. Their hands are tied with this Magura debacle.

And the best thing I like about them is: every vehicle they sell only has 2 wheels. No ATVs, UTVs, tricycles, dune buggies... just KTMs and Husqvarnas.

Got the bike back and the clutch is working perfectly! Super stoked to have my bike back and working properly. Thanks everyone for the comments and help. Filipe, how are their hands tied? I only ask because I didn't even have to ask my dealer for the Brembo slave they just said that's the fix for the problem and that's their procedure to fixing it. If your dealer didn't sell KTM's and only sold Husqvarna, then I can see how their hands would be tied. That's awesome they hook you up on parts and accessories and the desmog that's pretty cool of them. I haven't asked my dealer if they can remap my ECU so I don't know if they would or not. Also just want to let everyone know my dealer WMR Power Sports in Stuart FL is hosting a demo day for all 2018 KTM models on Nov 4th.

IMG_0607.JPG