Does "dry" cables affect hanging RPMs?

Hello!

So I was out riding at the track, and a guy told me that I should probably lubricate my cables - and that it might be the cause of the hanging RPMs.

So my bike has been sitting still for 1 year, with no cable lubrication or cleaning.

Is this probably the reason for hanging RPMs? And does a well lubricated cable really do that much?

Thank you! :-)

By the way, im very new to motocross, so I might be a bit of a noob.

Edited by Albrekt

Dry/sticking cables CAN be an issue that could cause hanging idles, but this is most likely not the case. 

Do you have a carbureted bike or a fuel injected bike? If it's carbureted I would check your fuel screw/clean the carb (especially if it's been sitting for a year). Gas tends to gunk up and clog your pilot jet which will cause the bike to run lean on the low end (hence the high idle). Are you getting popping on deceleration?

One thing that comes to my mind is an air leak, when the engine is sucking air in from another source like a small hole or tear in your intake track in front of your throttle body etc

this can cause a hanging idle as well, I'm no pro but it may be a good idea to check out

Glad someone finally said air leak. Spray starter fluid around while its running. When rpms rise you found your leak in the last spot you sprayed. Maybe just a finger smudge of silicone. Maybe a new manifold.
For your cables. Get a syringe. Squirt some gas through em. Then squirt some oil through em. Done

i have a 2015, mine hangs or rises in gear, when i shift to neutral, and let out the clutch it goes back to normal. shift into gear it rises back up... i got over the mental side of it real quick, although i dont know what causes it, it runs like a BEAST. 

1 hour ago, kxjim said:

i have a 2015, mine hangs or rises in gear, when i shift to neutral, and let out the clutch it goes back to normal. shift into gear it rises back up... i got over the mental side of it real quick, although i dont know what causes it, it runs like a BEAST. 

This is normal.  This is built into the CDI module.

• Like 2