2017 YZ250X FMF Gnarly Pipe choice

I am picking up my new 2017 YZ250X next week and I am wondering which pipe I need to put on my Christmas wish list. lol. 

I have seen 3 different flavours of the Gnarly, Torque, Woods, and Desert. I trail ride so I'm automatically assuming either the Torque or the Woods.

What is the difference between these? 

Thanks guys. 

A lot of us have chosen to stick with the stock pipe as the after markets are really designed for a MX yz250. It will stick out more than stock. I bought an extra stock head pipe off someone. There are other threads on this topic where guys have already weighed in.  Good luck 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob Welch said:

I am picking up my new 2017 YZ250X next week and I am wondering which pipe I need to put on my Christmas wish list. lol. 

I have seen 3 different flavours of the Gnarly, Torque, Woods, and Desert. I trail ride so I'm automatically assuming either the Torque or the Woods.

What is the difference between these? 

Thanks guys. 

You sure?  I believe there is only one Gnarly pipe available for the current Yam 250 2 stroke.

• Like 3

Honestly after buying the gnarly for my x I would stick with the stock pipe,the gnarly does lose the overrev,not a deal killer for me as most of my riding is mt. S.t. but if you ride any open stuff alot I would stick with the stocker.if I didn't smash my stock one I would still be running it forsure.BUT,the gnarly will give u a little on the bottom especially with the zuke needles.you will gain more from correctly jetting the bike than any pipe will ever do.give the stocker some time and read the jetting threads mister.

• Like 2

I am happy with my GYTR/gnarly, as well as the GYTR turbinecore silencer.  In hindsight, the spark arrestor was all I really needed.  The gnarly is nice and all, but I'm not sure if it is really any better than the stocker.  It gives you a bit more on the bottom, but I would say the stock pipe pulls a bit better mid to top end.  I had a thread a while back about the poor fitment of my gnarly which sounds like it is somewhat common on aftermarket pipes, but it is easily fixed with some brute force.  There is supposedly a difference in the aftermarket pipes for the X compared to the regular 250, but I can't really say if there is any actual difference in performance between the two.  Most people seem to agree that a fatty is a step backwards in performance for the X.  I talked to FMF before I bought my pipe and they told me to stay away from the fatty for the X, just doesn't work well according to them. 

I ride for enjoyment and have no need for huge power. I don't race but ride with guys that do. I like a good clean running bike and have only fiddle with jetting. Small money but sometimes time consuming. I bought this bike so I could spend my money on other things when I am not out riding. Enjoy the bike before you change it. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Only one “Gnarly torque” FMF pipe available from RMATV.   It’s works great on the 250X (more so than on a YZ250), If you lose anything on the top the jetting or timing is off IMHO.  I ran the stock pipe for quite awhile and the Gnarly was an improvement over all..  Now, some silencers I’ve used dulled topend power a bit but there is usually a work around for them too.  

Dont get me wrong the stock pipe is good for a stock pipe,  mine ended up pretty dented in less than 50hrs even with an aluminum guard.   The Gnarly is better built in that regard as well.

Edited by Nevada Al
Misspelled
  • Like 4

I like my Gnarly. 

I don't feel like I lost anything on the top end.  However, I did do the PV mod at the same time, so with the stock pipe and PV mod it may be a different story.  My stock pipe got completely mashed on some rocks, and I got the Gnarly cheap (used, but near perfect).  When it gets dinged up I'll replace with a Fatty, just for science!

I feel like overall, the Gnarly has more area under the curve than the stock pipe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2017 at 6:54 AM, Coop39 said:

If you want the best, I would say the TYGA pipe, makes more power than stock...everywhere! 

3.jpg

Are those like $450?... Nice looking pipe but big rocks would be scary... It'd be a nice "track" pipe...