2017 YZ450F - Basic Mods and Tips (Vet Rider)

Guys, I just expressed an opinion on the current YZ airbox design, which I find to be less practical than the “conventional” design Yamaha used until . I said it requires a bit of extra caution, and I also suggested a solution (use the Twin Air airbox cover). That’s it.
[mention=357033]hondaman331[/mention]: I find a bit ironic you ask “what this fuss is all about”, and then you suggest to remove seat, tank and rear airbox shroud just to change an air filter. ?

Irony is spending 10 grand on a bike and not going the extra mile to make sure it doesn't get dirt stuffed in engine during a routine maintenance procedure.... but I like making sure my bike fires up and does what it's supposed to without a hiccup!

2 hours ago, 120CCPM said:

Those fork wraps look very familar... well done! Did you get them with the dimensions I suggested?

Yes I emailed them about the custom sizes and they were quite easy about it. I didn’t measure to verify, but the are 1/4” from the lower clamp and overlap about 1/4”-5/16” 

Glad to hear that. If you look at the photos I posted at the beginning, you will see that I used some electrical tape right below the triple clamp to make up for the gap left uncovered by the wrap. More difficult to explain than to do...

just picked up a leftover 17 today. bike is awesome. Crazy hit right off idle. Did you find swapping to the linear map really eased up the bottom end? i'm coming off a 250f so having low end snappy power is not at all what i am used to.

Edited by dubstatic

2 hours ago, dubstatic said:

just picked up a leftover 17 today. bike is awesome. Crazy hit right off idle. Did you find swapping to the linear map really eased up the bottom end? i'm coming off a 250f so having low end snappy power is not at all what i am used to.

Yes, very much so. With the stock map, the bike was so responsive down low that I really had to be careful rotating the throttle. Once you get used to it, it's not that bad, but I was not enjoying it: I like to ride smoothly (I'm faster when I do that) and having a bike that takes off under my butt is not what I need.

I only tested the Linear map once, but I liked it immediately: the power is still there, but it doesn't hit so hard. It might even be a bit too tame, but I know that I can dial things back a bit, and find the perfect compromise. I agree $200 is not cheap, but again I'd rather invest in something I can use many times (and re-sell with the bike) than wasting $50 for a dealership to do it (once). You can try and find a fellow YZ owner with a Power Tuner, at the track or near you, which is willing to do it for $20 or a pack of beers.

Edited by 120CCPM