Shelton, Belfair, Tahuya, Bremerton Single track Riding/Living

Who lives and rides in Shelton, Belfair, Tahuya, Bremerton..etc? 

Heading up there to scope out the scene to find a place to live, and wouldn't mind meeting up with some single track riders.

Basically want to ride at the house, or ride to the trails. Is that possible without being in a 1 horse town?

Any good clubs to talk to in the areas?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers, 

Rob

Come a bit South and I could show you Tillamook, Hood River, Bend, and the GREAT Gifford Pinchot.

Selfishly, I just want another good tuner by me!

Good luck with the move.

BTW I always enjoy your videos, super helpful and easy to follow along with.

Run very far away from anywhere near Maggie Lake. Everywhere else is decent. 

1 hour ago, rlucas1986 said:

Come a bit South and I could show you Tillamook, Hood River, Bend, and the GREAT Gifford Pinchot.

Selfishly, I just want another good tuner by me!

Good luck with the move.

BTW I always enjoy your videos, super helpful and easy to follow along with.

Okay! We're open and not dead set on any specific area just yet. Smaller towns are nice.

Hahaha, I hear ya!  Right on, glad to hear you're digging the vids! I've got a bunch more to make.

45 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Run very far away from anywhere near Maggie Lake. Everywhere else is decent. 

Lol, uh oh, why is that an area to avoid? 

Don't tell anyone, but I moved here (Camas, Wa) from Cali after I did a stint in China for a bit. My wife was interested in the great schools, proximity to a city/airport, yet being close to the mountains and forests. I work in the Columbia Gorge which has to be one of the prettiest places in the world.

I just did a google maps overhead view and drooled over all of the dirtbike trails in the forests. Yacolt Burn, Gifford Pinchot, and TSF are all between 15 mins to 1.5 hours from me.

People in this forum would probably all agree that Gifford is paradise for singletrack dirtbiking. I can't imagine it being better...anywhere.

If you're in to Moto or great Harescrambles, Washougal MX park is here. A bunch of great local hare scramble and enduro racing series as well are run up and down Oregon and Washington.

Many of my nearby friends have acreage with tracks and trails that tie into these huge forests. That is eventually what I am after.

As you can probably tell, I'm happy with my move, and I'm sure you will be too.

1 minute ago, MotoLabDirtBikes said:

Lol, uh oh, why is that an area to avoid? 

It's a private community that steals amongst each other and then huffs brake cleaner/gasoline/carb cleaner because legal drugs/alcohol are too expensive.

Yelm is a nice area that is centrally located. 45 min to capitol forest, 1.5 hours to Gifford, 2.5 to naches, 1.5 hours to belfair. Low COL and safe area. We are a big military town.

3 hours ago, rlucas1986 said:

Don't tell anyone, but I moved here (Camas, Wa) from Cali after I did a stint in China for a bit. My wife was interested in the great schools, proximity to a city/airport, yet being close to the mountains and forests. I work in the Columbia Gorge which has to be one of the prettiest places in the world.

I just did a google maps overhead view and drooled over all of the dirtbike trails in the forests. Yacolt Burn, Gifford Pinchot, and TSF are all between 15 mins to 1.5 hours from me.

People in this forum would probably all agree that Gifford is paradise for singletrack dirtbiking. I can't imagine it being better...anywhere.

If you're in to Moto or great Harescrambles, Washougal MX park is here. A bunch of great local hare scramble and enduro racing series as well are run up and down Oregon and Washington.

Many of my nearby friends have acreage with tracks and trails that tie into these huge forests. That is eventually what I am after.

As you can probably tell, I'm happy with my move, and I'm sure you will be too.

Plus, Washington has no income tax and Camas is close enough to buy large consumer purchases sales tax free in Oregon. Though make sure you buy any new vehicles prior to moving to Washington or you pay 8-10% sales tax. Yeah, like thousands of $$. Buying out of state once you live here doesn't skirt the tax, you have to pay it when you register. Buying out of state while you don't live here and then moving here and xfering the registration skirts the massive sales tax.

Wow, great insider insight, thank you so much guys. 

How's the winter riding in Gifford? I figured it'd be snowed in and that's why I was thinking Tahuya area, year round riding and being able to put in a real small test loop. Heck even do some slow trials stuff in the back yard or pop a wheelie without having to load up every single time to ride.  I miss those days. 

No income tax is lovely, pretty stoked about that. Cruising across into Oregon for tax free purchases isn't bad either!

I'm trying to also not hyperfocus on just riding and taking other living factors into it too. It's not just myself I've got to think about as well...ha! Mountain biking, hiking, fishing, kayaking and more are what we like to do to explore. 

Im excited to visit. 

Wenatchee

Devil's Gulch. Single track dirt bike and mountain biking.
Mission Ridge ski area, best small area in state, 15 minutes from town.
Chelan. 55 miles of the most beautiful lake and a buttload of wineries for your wife.
Columbia river. Fishing, boating
Leavenworth. Bavarian madness, mountain biking, single track.
Colockum. Elk and deer hunting, green dot roads.

Don't move here. We don't need more people.
Troy341

1 hour ago, MotoLabDirtBikes said:

How's the winter riding in Gifford? I figured it'd be snowed in and that's why I was thinking Tahuya area, year round riding and being able to put in a real small test loop. Heck even do some slow trials stuff in the back yard or pop a wheelie without having to load up every single time to ride.  I miss those days. 

No income tax is lovely, pretty stoked about that. Cruising across into Oregon for tax free purchases isn't bad either!

I'm trying to also not hyperfocus on just riding and taking other living factors into it too. It's not just myself I've got to think about as well...ha! Mountain biking, hiking, fishing, kayaking and more are what we like to do to explore. 

Im excited to visit. 

Just fyi- if the democraps get a majority we will have a state income tax. They just rammed through state sponsored heroin injection centers for the state. Dont expect that to be just in Seattle. Plus now they want and are testing electronic gps tracking devices for your car for road tolling. So.....

59 minutes ago, Engstrom said:

Just fyi- if the democraps get a majority we will have a state income tax. They just rammed through state sponsored heroin injection centers for the state. Dont expect that to be just in Seattle. Plus now they want and are testing electronic gps tracking devices for your car for road tolling. So.....

If it's so bad then why don't you just leave? Why do people keep moving here? Must be really bad.

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

If it's so bad then why don't you just leave? Why do people keep moving here? Must be really bad.

Funny you say. Just had a talk with the boss about moving me to the Spokane branch today actually. Told my wife spring next year is my max point before we are outta here. Epic Idaho singletrack here I come :ride: 

4 hours ago, 341 said:

Wenatchee

Devil's Gulch. Single track dirt bike and mountain biking.
Mission Ridge ski area, best small area in state, 15 minutes from town.
Chelan. 55 miles of the most beautiful lake and a buttload of wineries for your wife.
Columbia river. Fishing, boating
Leavenworth. Bavarian madness, mountain biking, single track.
Colockum. Elk and deer hunting, green dot roads.

Don't move here. We don't need more people.
Troy341

But moto is snowed in 5 months of the year

6 hours ago, MotoLabDirtBikes said:

Im excited to visit. 

Gifford is snowed in probably 6 months or more a year, but Tahuya and Shelton offer woods riding year 'round. If you locate somewhere around Port Orchard or Gig Harbor you will be a half hour from tahuya and 2-3 hours from the mountains so can ride any day you want. 

Joe

Shelton and join PSER

Depending on your skill level, you will get bored riding Tahuya all winter.

5 hours ago, crashhard_17 said:

Depending on your skill level, you will get bored riding Tahuya all winter.

Which is why you also have nearby Shelton. Not like you have a lot of choices in winter :rolleyes:

Joe

The only club with rights to ride in Shelton are the Puget Sound Enduro Riders (PSERs). They pay a lease fee and have an agreement with the timber company for that privilege. 

The  Bremerton trail cruisers are very active in Tahuya/Belfair area. 

Our mountain single track (Gifford, Little Naches, Mad River, Entiat) is wonderful and scenic but it is starting to get snow now so that season is about done now till usually July-August depending on elevation and late snow fall. 

Oregon and Washington provide spectacular riding with a wide variety of terrain to choose from. The areas you mentioned are wonderful woods singletrack areas and since they're low elevation,  can be ridden year round compared to Cascade Mt riding that has a short riding season that is dependant on snow  that can vary season to season. 

One thing to take into consideration as well is quality of life and the type of town/city in which to live, work, and raise a family.  

The areas you mentioned are quite "rural", to say the least and if you're looking for more culture and amenities there are other places to consider.  But, for many,  the quiet old fashioned small town feel is appealing and important.  I live in a small rural old logging town in Oregon which is close to tons of fantastic riding and other recreation, but it's a "small town" if you know what I mean and there are positives and negatives to that environment. 

Also consider weather! If you aren't used to the wet and rain then you need to be prepared! It can and often does rain continually for months during Fall/Winter/Spring. 

One place that does check all of the boxes is Hood River, OR. It is still small in population, but has become a resort town feel with tons of outdoor recreation including world class kite boarding,  Mt biking, and skiing. It's spendy and has that resort population feel to it along with the longtime local farmers. It has nice downtown shops and brew pubs. It's a place with folks who have extra income to spend so might provide a more solid income base locally as opposed to the more rural populations.  Hood river has much better weather with 1/4 of the rainfall of the places West of the cascades, yet it's still beautiful green with timber and they get some snow on the ground most winters as oppossed to mainly cold rain on the West side of the states. There is phenomenal riding right in Hood River as well with two riding areas that provide nice singletrack. There are 2 other OHV's within 45 minutes that have fun flowing woods terrain. Tillamook is 90 minutes away that is open year round and has some really challenging terrain. Gifford is close as well. Then,  you're within 2 hrs of central Oregon riding that is usually accessible all winter with a variety of open flowing trails and nice single track to choose from.  

Lots to consider for sure, but you've got many fantastic areas to choose from with a vibrant riding community.  

Edited by firffighter