KX 100 top end and performance questions

Ok first off, new to this bike and the forum overall so I want to apologize if this has been posted elsewhere. I tried to search through some post but, I didn't see it so here we go.

Recently picked up a 2015 KX 100 and before to long, I'm planning to do a top end rebuild on her just to be safe making sure everything is good. Is there a particular top end kit or specific company that seems to be preferred or offer better reliability for these kits? I see some kits come complete and some come with nothing more then a piston and rings. What is recommended to be replaced each time I do this? How difficult is the job for a first time rebuilder like myself. 

Next and separate question. I'm considering throwing on an FMF power core shorty to maybe get a little boost in performance/sound. Looking at going with the FMF Fatty and maybe V-force reed valve in the future as well. Would I be likely to need to rejet the carb with just the shorty muffler? Any recommendation here as a baseline jetting for southern Virginia if I do need to make some minor changes? Any other performance tweaks or things I can do to get a little boost here and there? This is just a play bike for me with maybe the occasional hare scramble if that helps.

Thanks for any help or info!

Twist the throttle and shift :ride: better than any performance mod. Gearing and jetting comes in second [emoji106] 

I Support This Message.

Top ends... Vertex are my go-to. They happen to manufacture OEM parts for Kawasaki, so in buying theirs you’re basically getting OEM, but at a fraction of the OEM cost.

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time to reply fellas! Let me better explain where I am with my experience to maybe get some more direct replies. I don't mean that in a snobby way by the way. I have dirtbike experience from my younger days along with atv experience over my lifespan. I have 2 wheel street experience of 14 years and have been racing in roadcourse supersport series at a level one step below the top national AMA Moto America series for a handful of years with plenty of track experience before that as well. I am quite aware the biggest modification you can do to increase performance is the rider mod. Practice, preperation, mentality etc. 

What I'm looking for here is just for fun as I enjoy prepping up and modifying my bikes. I have past 2 stroke riding experience but, this is the first 2 stroke I've owned so there are some areas I'm unsure of and have questions about. This bike is strictly for fun and play with an occasional hare scramble maybe. I would very much appreciate any help regarding those things as well and do also appreciate the advice that has been offered so far. It's good to see people that recognize that important part on this side of the 2 wheel world as well!

Now, on subject, how do Vertex compare to Wiseco eith their top end kits? I see a lot of mention of them around the forum as well.

And just for fun and to show I'm not completely full of shit, a couple of pics! ???

FB_IMG_1508447081104.jpg

FB_IMG_1504122627619.jpg

FB_IMG_1508446026349.jpg

Edited by Quickone4u
Spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, Motox367 said:

But you're a grown man I take it? If so big guy on little bike it will wanna wheelie.  Unless you're small ofcourse 

I'm a grown short man! I come in around 5'3" in my race boots! ? I'm not too worried about the wheelies....I'm pretty accustomed to controlling them on the racebike with standing start race launches north of 10k rpm and otherwise with a rider of my size consistently inside the top 5 and podium level along with taking the top step. :banana:

1 minute ago, Quickone4u said:

I'm a grown short man! I come in around 5'3" in my race boots! ? I'm not too worried about the wheelies....I'm pretty accustomed to controlling them on the racebike with standing start race launches north of 10k rpm and otherwise with a rider of my size consistently inside the top 5 and podium level along with taking the top step. :banana:

That little bike may suprise you tho lol just saying .  Two different animals lol sweet pics tho ?

• Like 1

Just now, Quickone4u said:

Oh, that's exactly why I got her! She's a fun little beast to wring out! I enjoy getting squirrelly lol! Thanks for the compliment! 

No problem.  Try a 125 or 250 twostroke bet you'd really like those. Far as wiesco or vertex can't go wrong with either or imo anyway.  When I raced Kawasakis I only used oem.  But knowing what I know now I'd use weisco 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

No problem.  Try a 125 or 250 twostroke bet you'd really like those. Far as wiesco or vertex can't go wrong with either or imo anyway.  When I raced Kawasakis I only used oem.  But knowing what I know now I'd use weisco 

My previous 2 stroke experience actually comes from riding a 125 and 300 ktm with my friends and you're right, they're a blast! Honestly the only reason I chose the smaller bike was ease of riding with being able to reach the ground better for some woods and farm riding. If I was strictly racing, it would definitely be on one of those.

Thanks for the follow up on the pistons!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quickone4u said:

My previous 2 stroke experience actually comes from riding a 125 and 300 ktm with my friends and you're right, they're a blast! Honestly the only reason I chose the smaller bike was ease of riding with being able to reach the ground better for some woods and farm riding. If I was strictly racing, it would definitely be on one of those.

Thanks for the follow up on the pistons!

Understand that ?? small bikes are a blast to ride flat out. Good way to learn corner momentum :ride: I've killed few small bikes over the years.  But I'm 6' 220 lol use them to race the locals and non racers more fun for me than on my big bikes 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arthur6 said:

Agree 100% with above.
Its a 100CC, don't expect much from a muffler or pipe.

Read above....I'm not. Just looking for answers to the above questions. Not expecting a rocket ship. A little boost here or there, changing the sound a little, a little bling etc. Again, just a fun bike I'm playing with. Biggest thing I'm interested in currently though is the different rebuild kits and what seems to be the most popular/reliable kit and also if it's known to be necessary to rejet from just changing the muffler at the moment. Plan to down the road put an aftermarket expansion chamber on it as well and expect jetting changes there but a muffler change is an unknown for me. Example....typically in the sportbike world, its not necessary to rejet or remap with just a slip on. Some cases you will need to and some not. Thus the reason for asking. Trust me, I know these mods aren't going to make a huge difference.  Doesn't change my desire or plans to do so just for the fun of it. 

Edited by Quickone4u

1 minute ago, arthur6 said:

No jetting required for a muffler swap.

Thank you sir! That helps and I appreciate all the advice and info as well. Don't want it to come across as if I don't appreciate what you and the others have said regarding those points as I do but, it's something I am currently aware of so just wanted to better explain my experience and exactly what I'm looking for. Understandable though getting continued advice of that particular form given that I'm a noob to the forum and I'm not known around here. Kind of funny really considering I do the exact thing to new racers on our racing forums lol! Thank you again for your help!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quickone4u said:

Thank you sir! That helps and I appreciate all the advice and info as well. Don't want it to come across as if I don't appreciate what you and the others have said regarding those points as I do but, it's something I am currently aware of so just wanted to better explain my experience and exactly what I'm looking for. Understandable though getting continued advice of that particular form given that I'm a noob to the forum and I'm not known around here. Kind of funny really considering I do the exact thing to new racers on our racing forums lol! Thank you again for your help!

We all have same thing in common tho = Dirtbikes and racing is racing ? you'll fit right in

• Like 1