Water pump impeller gone?

I've used Engine Ice in my sand dune quads , it is supposed to be changed every 2 years , after 6-10 years I wouldn't be surprised if it could eat an impeller away . Diesel motors tend to do the same thing to their coolants(at least the old type), my uncle had several cylinder liners with holes eaten through them and destroyed the motor because he failed to change his coolant in his John Deere tractor .

Edited by jjktmrider

I have another idea as well. My old mechanic says he has seen the coolant additive called Engine Ice eat through head gaskets...Do you run it?

No, although was thinking of using it before now. I had always heard that coolant could lose its ability to keep cool over time, but I didn’t know it became corrosive.
I have another idea as well. My old mechanic says he has seen the coolant additive called Engine Ice eat through head gaskets...Do you run it?

No, although was thinking of using it before now. I had always heard that coolant could lose its ability to keep cool over time, but I didn’t know it became corrosive.

• 8 months later...

***warning - thread resurrection by accident*** ?

Just use long life coolant antifreeze like OAT stuff and forget about it for a while

Did my first coolant change at 9 years old (about 4k miles) stuff came out looking like new, as did all the visible areas of the engine internals & rads.

There is no iron or steel exposed in the coolant circuit (I believe). Honestly I think the coolant change interval is just to try and justify them servicing it.

OAT is rated for up to 5 years, but I suspect that is being conservative.

Edited by DrzDick

Coolant develops an acid PH over time and will corrode most metals faster than normal . that's why the change intervals . A person can take ph readings and get addatives to bring it back but it still needs some replacement in time . Coolant is cheap so I swap every other year or so , especially with one of the improving additives like Water Wetter or Engine Ice .