What’s it worth?

Its very hard to value a bike by a few pictures. When you say restored what do you actually mean. Is is a polished pig or has it truly been restored. Did you spray paint or is it powered coated? Has the motor been completely gone through with receipts.  New bearings and cables?  Honestly without looking at the bike or knowing more i cant give you a good answer.

There is one huge red flag for me. Looks like its missing the airbox along with the side plates. This tells me the restoration is incomplete and may have beed skimped on. Maybe not the case but you won't get a premium price without a complete bike. When guys are looking to spend lets say over $2000 on a bike it better be right. People that collect and race theses generally know what there looking at.

The bike is worth what someone is willing to pay. I see so many old bikes sit on Craigslist with stupid high prices. These bikes sit for sale for months.  There was a bike i was interested in for sale. Its probably a $500 bike at best. Its been for sale on Craigslist for 6 months. The add started at $1500, then $1200, then $900 and its still on there. Old doesn't automatically mean its worth a lot. There is a good chance you have more money into the bike than what you will get out.   Also where you live and what the vintage scene is like will determine what you can get. Sorry for the long winded response.  Give us some more info on the bike.

• Like 1

If it’s complete and truly restored to mint condition, I’d think somewhere around $3,000-$4,000, MAYBE $5,000 for a sentimental buyer. It’s a RM, their engines where kinda flat on power and not as desirable as the Maicos or YZs

On 10/21/2017 at 11:01 AM, GreenMT_Rider said:

Its very hard to value a bike by a few pictures. When you say restored what do you actually mean. Is is a polished pig or has it truly been restored. Did you spray paint or is it powered coated? Has the motor been completely gone through with receipts.  New bearings and cables?  Honestly without looking at the bike or knowing more i cant give you a good answer.

There is one huge red flag for me. Looks like its missing the airbox along with the side plates. This tells me the restoration is incomplete and may have beed skimped on. Maybe not the case but you won't get a premium price without a complete bike. When guys are looking to spend lets say over $2000 on a bike it better be right. People that collect and race theses generally know what there looking at.

The bike is worth what someone is willing to pay. I see so many old bikes sit on Craigslist with stupid high prices. These bikes sit for sale for months.  There was a bike i was interested in for sale. Its probably a $500 bike at best. Its been for sale on Craigslist for 6 months. The add started at $1500, then $1200, then $900 and its still on there. Old doesn't automatically mean its worth a lot. There is a good chance you have more money into the bike than what you will get out.   Also where you live and what the vintage scene is like will determine what you can get. Sorry for the long winded response.  Give us some more info on the bike.

Very nice bike, but: Your buyers' market is limited. True collectors are looking for historical significance, restoration to original, and attention to detail. For that, they will pay a price. Vintage racers want a bike that was unique in its day, but still handles and looks decent and is reasonably reliable. They usually have a price point much lower than a collector.

• Like 1

Restored means, "Everything is put back to OEM specs, nothing aftermarket."  If it's missing parts and has aftermarket pieces it's not restored.

Thanks for the reply guys I got a lot of great feedback. Yeah it is missing the air box and side plates but what i meant is that is was in bad condition not running and and we fixed it to excellent running condition and replaced a lot of parts and such. From what I got from you guys is that is worth from 1k-3k at best. If you guys have any other advice for me please let me know.

I fixed up  this 1978 Yamaha DT400E and managed to get $3,000 for it.  It looked brand new just like when it left the Yamaha factory.  I would have gotten more but it was missing the tool box plastic cover so it as not considered restored.

HPIM1668_zpsfyvldhow.jpg

HPIM1675_zps8an3aum8.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, baldy110 said:

I fixed up  this 1978 Yamaha DT400E and managed to get $3,000 for it.  It looked brand new just like when it left the Yamaha factory.  I would have gotten more but it was missing the tool box plastic cover so it as not considered restored.

HPIM1668_zpsfyvldhow.jpg

HPIM1675_zps8an3aum8.jpg

Very nice build but I am amazed at that price. Excellent in its time but a very hum-drum bike.