The book will say you need 95 octane, but that's Research Octane.  That's about the same resistance to detonation as 86-87 Motor Octane.  Different methods of testing that produce different numbers. Here in the US, the government tries to simplify things (and you see how well that works) by using an average of both methods called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), which comes out to about 90, so 91 octane at the pump is fine, even on paper. 

In reality, almost no one has a problem with ordinary pump premium in a stock YZ450.

• Like 1

Oh, then it changes things quite a bit... New Zealand (like most of the world) uses the RON octane rating, so your "91" is not that great... more like a 87 AKI. 

The YZ manual, here in the US, recommends "premium unleaded gasoline", which means 91-93 AKI. What does your manual say?

It depends on how hard you ride, what temperatures, what altitude... but you might be able to use 87 AKI / 91 RON with no ill effects. If you have a Power Tuner, you can also ask people suggestions on how to remap your engine to deal with that fuel.

17 minutes ago, 120CCPM said:

Oh, then it changes things quite a bit... New Zealand (like most of the world) uses the RON octane rating, so your "91" is not that great... more like a 87 AKI. 

The YZ manual, here in the US, recommends "premium unleaded gasoline", which means 91-93 AKI. What does your manual say?

It depends on how hard you ride, what temperatures, what altitude... but you might be able to use 87 AKI / 91 RON with no ill effects. If you have a Power Tuner, you can also ask people suggestions on how to remap your engine to deal with that fuel.

I ride trails at around 300m above sea level with an average outside  degrees are some where around 62f and on the hottest days around 84f and I have it tuned for a smooth throttle . Yesterday I put a mix of 91 and 95 at 2:1 and it seems to be fine

Edited by Rowan Green

I'm no expert, so hopefully someone else can confirm but I believe that with low-quality gasoline you want to go richer in fuel and less advanced in timing, so with Power Tuner you can add 1 all across your current FI map, and subtract 1 on your IG map...

I "met" in another thread @gmtech16450yz (motobark) and he says he knows a lot about engine tuning, so maybe he can help you...

Edited by 120CCPM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 120CCPM said:

I'm no expert, so hopefully someone else can confirm but I believe that with low-quality gasoline you want to go richer in fuel and less advanced in timing, so with Power Tuner you can add 1 all across your current FI map, and subtract 1 on your IG map...

I "met" in another thread @gmtech16450yz (motobark) and he seems to know a lot about mapping, so maybe he can help you...

OK thanks I will try that power tune trick

On 10/28/2017 at 1:17 PM, Rowan Green said:

OK thanks I will try that power tune trick

I would suggest you validate what I said, as I'm no tuning expert. Might be worth creating a new thread, specific to Power Tuner settings for non-premium fuel (87 AKI here in US, 91 RON in the rest of the world).

On 31/10/2017 at 9:31 AM, 120CCPM said:

I would suggest you validate what I said, as I'm no tuning expert. Might be worth creating a new thread, specific to Power Tuner settings for non-premium fuel (87 AKI here in US, 91 RON in the rest of the world).

I tried the power tuner trick you told me and I just kept stalling but it's alright I'll just buy a higher octane

I'm pretty sure that the Power Tuner has enough range to be able to create a 87 octane (AKI) map... you just need someone who knows this stuff. You can also try one thing at a time... go for less-advanced timing without touching the fuel, for example.