New 2017 RMZ 450 issues

Hey Guys, I finally updated my old 2012 rmz with a run out new 17. I managed 430 ish hours on the old girl with 3 rebuilds no real dramas. Problem is the new 17 is already giving me the shits that something is not right with it. The very first time I started it it smoked alot, I mean alot. Its my 5th brand new rmz and none have smoked like this. Then with the first oil change post run in there was alot of mater on both the oil filter and screen. Second oil change was after a xc race and trail ride both in the same weekend, 5 hours. That oil smelt like petrol. and it seemed noisy. Then this weekend I went to do the acerbis 4 hour, was going good too 3 hours in and the thing got real noisy I had to pull out sounds like its going to blow up. Thing is it goes like a cut cat.

Anyone had issues from new?  

• Like 3

That sux, I have had a head gasket leak into where the timing chain is, symptoms were similar but more of a loud ticking noise. Hope you get it sorted? I know Darryl  Hurley has a room full of those motors from the suzuki race team, he might be able to help you out if something has seriously let go, otherwise you might get away with just some gaskets and a new piston kit. Was there much debris on the magnetic strainer? If it only has a few hours I would definitely go back to the dealership 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rotaholic said:

That sux, I have had a head gasket leak into where the timing chain is, symptoms were similar but more of a loud ticking noise. Hope you get it sorted? I know Darryl  Hurley has a room full of those motors from the suzuki race team, he might be able to help you out if something has seriously let go, otherwise you might get away with just some gaskets and a new piston kit. Was there much debris on the magnetic strainer? If it only has a few hours I would definitely go back to the dealership 

Thats interesting cause that actually would display similarly. Would explain the petrol in the oil. What year was that bike? I see they made the piston stronger for 2018. After some run time it just starts to sound like I haven't put oil in it. I really like suzuki just a bit disappointed.

Those metal shavings are not uncommon for an RMZ after first oil change. The gearbox as well as the clutch shed quite a bit when new. If it did not get better after the first or second change I would be concerned. 

As for your symptoms, I would lean towards what Rotaholic said. I have seen a few head gaskets leak right where he described that displayed symptoms exactly as you describe. Good news is that none of them had issues after the head gasket was replaced. 

• Like 1

The bike shop came and collected it yesterday. I also did a radiator pressure test, no leaks there.The thing has been detonating for sure if you ask me. Ive actually told them I don't want it back really. Also sent 2 x oil samples away to be tested.

• 2 weeks later...

2017-11-12.png.a4f69a69881ca01b10ef3f3c3c493021.png

Hopefully you guys can read this. These are the oil test results from 5 hours from new and 8 hours from new. Check out the flash point 63 and 93 degree c. From my research this means I am getting a fuel dilution of around 10% + and the cSt @ 40 degree c is half what it started at. Workshop claiming everything is normal. 

Edited by vince46
?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 1:17 PM, Coopershift said:

I had a cracked piston at 20h, 2017

Hey guys an update on my bike. So as those oil results showed I had some serious fuel contamination. There were a lot of emails and phone calls to both the dealer and Suzuki New Zealand and with much persistence and paper work, I received another New bike (17). As soon as the bike was delivered I remapped it before even starting it. I removed some fuel at low rpm and also removed 2 degrees of timing. I believe that all the bikes are getting detonation some more so than others as the variable change like fuel, rider weight and riding style. This explains the cracked pistons and gasket failure noted on the net. I also have a friend that has a 16 that has done 50 hours and the cylinder looks trashed. 

I ran the new bike over the weekend (3 hours) and what a difference. So much torque. Sounds quieter in the exhaust note and far less mechanical noise. Starts second kick cold, first kick hot even after being stalled. Happy as. I will put up a photo of the plug difference too the first bike. Also going to send this oil away to be tested. 

On another note the dealer sent 2 oil samples to the lab, one from the demo 18 and another from a traded 17 with 49 hours both came back with fuel in the oil. Interesting? 

Edited by vince46

On 10/30/2017 at 2:47 PM, rraiderr said:

Please keep us posted after you tear her down.

The Fuel contamination comes from the fact the rings don't seal correctly with detonation as the rings "rattle" from the shock waves of the 2 flame fronts clashing. I sent the oil test results through to blackstone lab over there and they estimate 10%+ fuel in the oil.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Man thats shitty. I got my 17 in july and have 20hrs on it now an have run the hell outv it with no issues. Smoked like u said but you could smell it was all the fresh new packing burning. As for anything else its held up great. I change oil every 3hrs on mine. Or every race as i run mx and Arenacross. I hope my piston dont crack now lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 3:09 AM, vince46 said:

Hey guys an update on my bike. So as those oil results showed I had some serious fuel contamination. There were a lot of emails and phone calls to both the dealer and Suzuki New Zealand and with much persistence and paper work, I received another New bike (17). As soon as the bike was delivered I remapped it before even starting it. I removed some fuel at low rpm and also removed 2 degrees of timing. I believe that all the bikes are getting detonation some more so than others as the variable change like fuel, rider weight and riding style. This explains the cracked pistons and gasket failure noted on the net. I also have a friend that has a 16 that has done 50 hours and the cylinder looks trashed. 

I ran the new bike over the weekend (3 hours) and what a difference. So much torque. Sounds quieter in the exhaust note and far less mechanical noise. Starts second kick cold, first kick hot even after being stalled. Happy as. I will put up a photo of the plug difference too the first bike. Also going to send this oil away to be tested. 

On another note the dealer sent 2 oil samples to the lab, one from the demo 18 and another from a traded 17 with 49 hours both came back with fuel in the oil. Interesting? 

What tool did you use for the remapping? Thanks.