Turning The Cold Start Choke Knob

Accidently turned the cold start choke knob thinking that was the knob to turn up the idle on my 17 350 XCF.  Does turning this knob do anything?  I did turn it back aproximately where it was but just curious if it adjusts anything like my Honda..

I did find the red idle speed adjustment on the other side of the throttle body.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:48 AM, Decreasing Dave said:

As I understand it, that knob adjust the idle at High Speed, as in, when it's pushed in.

Dave

Yes, that is how I understand it also. I've never turned mine but I thought I read in the manual that you can adjust the high idle speed (pushed in) by turning that knob. And as you said, the red is the normal idle adjustment (which I've also never touched).

While I'm here, I had a question on the yellow high idle knob. I have been able to start my 350 w/o it almost every time I have ridden except twice (with it being colder now). The last 2 times, I pushed the knob in before starting. It started right up. I was under the impression that once you crack the throttle it goes back to normal position on it's own? Mine doesn't however, but I swore I read that in the manual also. Just a random thought, after I saw this question.

• 3 years later...

So I’ve got a question on that high idle knob. Do you adjust it with it clicked in or with it clicked out? From reading the post in the link below it says it can affect the way the engine runs. I think I may have messed with mine by mistake. Thanks! 

22 hours ago, Ewhite25 said:

So I’ve got a question on that high idle knob. Do you adjust it with it clicked in or with it clicked out? From reading the post in the link below it says it can affect the way the engine runs. I think I may have messed with mine by mistake. Thanks! 

I also don't understand that point and would be interesting for me as well, as I'm also messed up with the settings due to some starting issues. 

10 hours ago, phatsmall said:

The problem I have with video  , is he just checking how the throttle body left the factory, that means Jack, ktm has historically set those under book spec.

He should have also checked it by book spec, and then compare.

18 hours ago, Spud786 said:

The problem I have with video  , is he just checking how the throttle body left the factory, that means Jack, ktm has historically set those under book spec.

He should have also checked it by book spec, and then compare.

He is showing the stock settings. 

Do you have any info about the throttle body in the service manual? 

I don't. 

Edited by phatsmall

1 hour ago, phatsmall said:

He is showing the stock settings. 

Do you have any info about the throttle body in the service manual? 

I don't. 

He is showing the settings, of that throttle body left the factory, idle adjusted , thats not stock, but just the way it left the factory.

Book spec says .40v with no idle input(screw) backed out.

so if he'd have back out the idle screw and then took a tps reading, would have been more accurate.  Then you'd really know how that throttle body left the factory in comparison to Book spec.

Historically ktm has a history of having tps on the minus side of stock, sometimes they are in spec and sometimes not, so good to check.

Utilizing book spec, Im going to say theres a range of use of .40 to .43  , I know one guy who checked his and tps was at .38v

11 minutes ago, Ewhite25 said:

@Spud786 where did you find that value in the manual? I have searched both the owner and service manuals and could not find anything. Also I’ve been told there is a very very fine line between lean and rich when making that adjustment 

Its in the service manual not the owners manual. Let me see if I can get a picture

1321340737_2017-2019tps.jpg.7d9343a19c061301df988f71017a6157.jpg

Edited by Spud786

Thats with no idle screw interference,  at the very least see where yours actually is, the wiring looms from TPSTOOL,com make it nice to adjust. They are about $39

thats for ktms and husky 500's 2017 -2019

Edited by Spud786