FC450 Clutch Seal Fail, Fading clutch

Nearly brand new 2017 FC 450 Purchased 3/11/17.  Clutch started fading on last moto at RedBud.  I thought it was air in line.  Checked the reservoir, it was low.    Followed instructions from manual to add fluid -DOT4 as required.  Pumped up clutch, it felt OK.  A couple days later, I thought I would check it, and again it felt like it has air in line.  If you pump it up, it feels ok.  When you hold it in and out of engaged position, for a couple minutes, it slowly fades out.  Long story short, here are pictures of what I found.  Rubber seal is damaged. Does this require a new unit? or can you buy the seal?  Any help is appreciated.   

IMG_6075.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

Theres a few active threads on the issue. no you cant buy the individual seal.

• Like 1

As others have posted, per MXA, the Brembo seal/piston can be purchased and swapped into the Magura slave. I plan to do this this winter. 

• Like 1

any update to this?

I want to replace mine before it fails. I am not opposed to doing a whole Brembo slave swap, even a complete Brembo clutch.

Just want the best solution. 

thanks

I switched to a Brembo about 5 months ago. Seems to be working great (FE501). You have to have the curved banjo fitting on your hose for it to work though. There is not a separate bleeder valve. You have to order that too. Also, you MUST order the longer bolts for the left and bottom mounts. 

Just today I ordered a couple of new seals ($2.07/ea) for back-up, as I am getting ready to do some big trips. This seems to be a good long term set-up for me anyway.

Edited by Filipe
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 6:30 PM, Filipe said:

I switched to a Brembo about 5 months ago. Seems to be working great (FE501). You have to have the curved banjo fitting on your hose for it to work though. There is not a separate bleeder valve. You have to order that too. Also, you MUST order the longer bolts for the left and bottom mounts. 

Just today I ordered a couple of new seals ($2.07/ea) for back-up, as I am getting ready to do some big trips. This seems to be a good long term set-up for me anyway.

Filipe, do you have part #s

Thanks.

Husky will replace the complete slave under warranty. I had my slave go out at 35 hours and again at 70 hours on my 17 fx450. My dealer was able to have it fixed within a day with full coverage from husky. 

I havent figured out out the exact parts I need to switch to a brembo yet. Also debating running the rekluse slave cylinder if anyone has tried that?

I actually ended up installing the Brembo seal & piston (stock KTM part).  Still ended up being a bit costly for basic seal.  I'm sure the problem is the factory seal is not compatible with brake fluid. Prior versions of Magura systems required mineral oil. 

On 1/16/2018 at 10:00 PM, Jim813 said:

Husky will replace the complete slave under warranty. I had my slave go out at 35 hours and again at 70 hours on my 17 fx450. My dealer was able to have it fixed within a day with full coverage from husky. 

I havent figured out out the exact parts I need to switch to a brembo yet. Also debating running the rekluse slave cylinder if anyone has tried that?

If the warranty replacement is another Magura, don't venture too far from your truck . . .

• Like 2

Also mine leaks engine oil out of the housing, I have torqued the bolts, replaced the gasket and it still leaks. I  don't see any cracks or scratches in the housing . Anyone have a suggestion?

20171221_172148.jpg

20171221_153350.jpg

On 1/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, ricoshred said:

I actually ended up installing the Brembo seal & piston (stock KTM part).  Still ended up being a bit costly for basic seal.  I'm sure the problem is the factory seal is not compatible with brake fluid. Prior versions of Magura systems required mineral oil. 

what all did you replace? looks like to replace the piston, the bleed valve also needs to be replaced. then the fluid "pipe" is also a different part number. 

thanks

19 hours ago, wr250ish said:

Also mine leaks engine oil out of the housing, I have torqued the bolts, replaced the gasket and it still leaks. I  don't see any cracks or scratches in the housing . Anyone have a suggestion?

20171221_172148.jpg

20171221_153350.jpg

Yes, mine did that also so the dealer fitted a 32mm o ring.

That said, the Oberon is a better design and the stock magura will fail. Just order the Oberon and get on with your life.

• Like 2

Thanks Bruce, I did order an Oberon in mid December but I'm told it's backordered until mid February.  Do you know any in stock?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wr250ish said:

Thanks Bruce, I did order an Oberon in mid December but I'm told it's backordered until mid February.  Do you know any in stock?

Most of us ordered directly from Oberon in the UK.  Usually arrives in just a couple of days. Awesome folks!

PS - be gentle on the mounting bolts, several have stripped the threads in their cases from wrenching too hard.  Other threads talk about this and the correct torque specs.  It's only a smidge beyond finger tight. . . .

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 2

Has any anyone suffered a traumatic accident or injury because of the Husqvarna slave cylinder issue?  I have a 2017 fc450 and was practicing for an upcoming  hare scramble, sweeping a fast elongated corner, with less than 40 hrs on the bike i was really getting comfortable. I started riding very well destroying the corners and being very aggressive and confident in the mechanics and committing to the track and bike. My clutch dissaspeared and I throttled into some trees, long story short. Aggressively hitting the apex of the corner while keeping it revved- anticipating dumping the clutch after the apex. So coming in hot to the corner 4th gear pulling in the ( all of a sudden ) failed clutch I got all power delivery, overriding my rear brakes. Blew the corner into wet logs and hit 4 trees. It seems this issue is becoming very prevalent and if their are any others like me whom was injured on this new race bike please contact me. 

13 hours ago, Kenison964 said:

Has any anyone suffered a traumatic accident or injury because of the Husqvarna slave cylinder issue?  I have a 2017 fc450 and was practicing for an upcoming  hare scramble, sweeping a fast elongated corner, with less than 40 hrs on the bike i was really getting comfortable. I started riding very well destroying the corners and being very aggressive and confident in the mechanics and committing to the track and bike. My clutch dissaspeared and I throttled into some trees, long story short. Aggressively hitting the apex of the corner while keeping it revved- anticipating dumping the clutch after the apex. So coming in hot to the corner 4th gear pulling in the ( all of a sudden ) failed clutch I got all power delivery, overriding my rear brakes. Blew the corner into wet logs and hit 4 trees. It seems this issue is becoming very prevalent and if their are any others like me whom was injured on this new race bike please contact me. 

Wow, 2 posts and both in the same forum with the same post.  Wanna know how to fix your clutch, you came to the right place.  Wanting to bait a class action lawsuit - please take it somewhere else.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:00 PM, Jim813 said:

I know this post is older, but I was reading about all this, and wondering why I never had any issues (knock on wood) with my clutch slave cylinders. Both of my Husqvarnas have the adjustable Rekluse slave cylinder (and the rest of the Rekluse kit as well) and I have 80 hours on my FC450 and 30 hours on my FX350 with no problems. I would think that you could use the slave cylinder with a stock clutch as well, but just like with the full Rekluse kit, you would have to make sure it is adjusted.

5 hours ago, Weavertime1 said:

I know this post is older, but I was reading about all this, and wondering why I never had any issues (knock on wood) with my clutch slave cylinders. Both of my Husqvarnas have the adjustable Rekluse slave cylinder (and the rest of the Rekluse kit as well) and I have 80 hours on my FC450 and 30 hours on my FX350 with no problems. I would think that you could use the slave cylinder with a stock clutch as well, but just like with the full Rekluse kit, you would have to make sure it is adjusted.

You answered this yourself: you are not using stock Magura slave cylinders.  You have Rekluse slaves.

• Like 1