DRZ400S Will Not Shift To Neutral When Running

My DRZ has been very slowly becoming harder and harder to shift into neutral. Sometimes it just won't. I shift all the way down to first, and try to half upshift into neutral, and it's like i'm pulling my foot up on a solid object. I just cannot get it to upshift no matter what. When i'm rolling it seems to shift easy, but stopped is a NO GO. 

I just did  a fresh oil change today. (Somebody said an oil change fixed his no-go neutral bike).

Can somebody please help me out here? Give me some ideas maybe from 'Probable the issue' to 'could possibly be'. And i'll go down the list and try to get this solved.

Thanks in advance peeps. :ride:

Is your clutch cable adjuster (on the perch) becoming loose? Sounds like too much slack in the cable.

• Like 1

^

I keep my friction zone as close to the bar as i can, sometimes the bike wants to pull away at a stop, and i cant get it into neutral, just 1st and 2nd, unless i shut the bike off.
If i adjust it further out, i can throw it into neutral.

• Like 1

You have a hard time shifting into neutral with the motorcycle at a rest because of clutch drag.  The amount of clutch drag varies widely from one motorcycle to another. Sometimes clutch cable adjustment will help, sometimes not.  Sometimes completer clutch replacement will cure the issue sometimes not.  If the clutch otherwise works normally, I suggest you learn to live with it.  Select neutral while still in motion.

• Like 3

I think I found the issue. Pulled back the rubber part on the perch and LOOK WHAT I FOUND (see youtube video above) yeah I filmed in vertical, realized, then moved phone to landscape, and yup it stayed vertical. :banghead:  IM SORRY PEOPLE.  Also.. AC-130 ABOVE!!!!!! :facepalm:

It's frayed, you can see towards the end of the video. Watch in  HD. So it doesn't allow the clutch to fully disengage?

Is this my issue guys? I'm not very mechanically inclined. I'm sure i'd be able to swap out the clutch cable though. Looks like a beeyatch but do-able.

Or is this probably not the issue?

Lemme know guys, i'm here constantly viewing replies 

Thank ya :thumbsup:

Edited by KaskadeHD

it isnt helping the situation im sure .. its normal though for most bikes to give you sht going into neutral while stationary and running,  learn to pop it in neutral before you come to a complete stop ..

Certainly part of the problem if not the complete problem.  A new cable and proper adjustment should help.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2017 at 6:30 PM, cowpie said:

it isnt helping the situation im sure .. its normal though for most bikes to give you sht going into neutral while stationary and running,  learn to pop it in neutral before you come to a complete stop ..

FIXED THE ISSUE!

Bought a new clutch cable for $29, installed, re-adjusted, and BINGO! Shifts like a DREAM! Better than it has ever shifted before.

Looks like Noble had the correct answer.

Thanks all for the help!

• Like 1