Sign in to follow this  

Helmet Recommendations and sizing Suomy Alpha, Fox V3, Fly F2 carbon

So I have taken a good dinger or two on my 4 year old (I think) Fox V4.  I ordered up a newer Fox V3 with mips online and the same size medium is too small and doesn't come down on my head, it feels like there are a few inches above the top of my head.  I think the large would be to big.  So I happened to be near a shop a few hours away and tried on a Fly F2 carbon and it fit well thought like the Fox it's not all that light.  I am 145 lbs and after a full day of technical moto or snowmobiling I can really start feeling the weight.  It's also very bulky, perhaps part of that is the Snell certification.  I don't know much about the .  So I had my eye on a Suomy Alpha as the it's about a half a pound lighter than either the Fox V3 or the  Fly F2.  I do like the MIPS but not 100% needed (hopefully).  The Airoh looks good but no reputable US dealers so I don't want to buy something from Italy and have it not fit or have problems getting parts.  I don't live near any shops that carry Suomy.  Anyone have one that can say how it fits compared to newer Fly F2 carbon and /or Fox V3 mips helmets.  I also tried on a friends Bell moto 9 carbon and that fit OK but felt a little more round so I think I might have a more oval head.  Plus they are pretty pricey for being about the same weight as a Fox or Fly Carbon.  Any help, thoughts or advice is much appreciated.  I also run Oakley Crowbar goggles with prescription inserts  so I would like something with a good size opening so they fit as well (I do take off the nose piece so it's easier to get on).  THANKS

I haven't tried on a Fox V3 recently but I just purchased a new helmet and tried on a few. How you describe the V3 fitting is how the Suomy (I think tried both Alpha and MX Jump) fit for me. So I guess they both fit more round heads IMO. I normally wear a Large in most brands. My head shape is intermediate to maybe slightly long oval. I tried on the Fly F2 Carbon and also the Bell Moto9. They felt fairly similar to me. Unfortunately I was interested in the Bell MX-9 MIPS and Fly Toxin MIPS but none of the shops had those helmets yet. I ended up going with the Bell MX-9 because I could get it sooner than the Fly (RMATV). Only had one ride with it so far but no complaints, like it wasn't wearing anything new.