Best tire spoons for Drz400?

I am wanting to buy tire spoons with wrenches built into the end to keep on the bike when riding.

What is the general consensus for the best ones to get?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Greg Di said:

I am wanting to buy tire spoons with wrenches built into the end to keep on the bike when riding.

What is the general consensus for the best ones to get?

Thanks!

I carry a spare 21" tube (which I can use front/back), a patch kit, a small dual action air pump, CO2, and a set of Motion Pro combos for my CFR250R but this is only for the absolute worst case situation having to deal with a flat when you are in a very remote place extremely far from where you started. For example say 70KM or 40 Miles on really hard technical terrain. If its a logging road see below.

Personally I also carry about 12 super heavy duty zip ties that are about 1/4" wide and start off about 24" long but I cut them down to say 12" so easy to carry in my pack. If you flat and you are relatively close to get back to where you started or the road is easy, you can use say 6 or so to hold the tire to the rim and ride out slowly.

As a suggestion and regardless of your bike (and I do have a 400E) if you do buy combo's, try actually changing a tube with them before you really need to.

DRC Hardware makes about a 9" tire spoon combo wrench to fit a drz rear axle.I still prefer to use their 10 1/2" dedicated tire spoons though.Just remember one thing when selecting tire spoons,always get at least 3 of the same.A MotionPro beady buddy or two also comes in very handy to have as a third hand to hold the bead down.

And if you want to get crafty, you can mount a tire spoon to the left side of swing arm. Where the chain guard goes.

I use the Motion Pro T-6 Combo Lever. Can't say if they are the best because I haven't used other brands (I bet the Tusk version are good and will save you a few bucks) but they have worked when I needed them.

+1 for the Tusk set. I have their regular spoons as well and have been very happy. 

What rim protectors to you guys use? I want to start saving some cash and change my own tires but don't want to scratch my black rims.

18 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

What rim protectors to you guys use? I want to start saving some cash and change my own tires but don't want to scratch my black rims.

i think mine are motion pro, theyre blue anyway .. theyve held up well to about 8 or so changes .. theres a last bit on every tire where you cant really use them, so i suggest always  lots of lube and get mean with it and always mount/dismount from the left side which is less visible, you'll wind up with small marks on the edge, comes with the territory .. a sharpy to touch them up does the trick ..

3M makes a scotch brite polishing wheel, takes out the machine marks on the spoon faces.  Same wheel is handy to smooth the sharp corners from the gear shift lever.