DRZ400 E vs S head

I have two shot engines yay. One of them is E engine as far as I know and other is S, which basically to my understanding means that one has Hot cams (E-cams) and other has regular (S-cams). 

What I am wondering - is there any differences between heads themselves or can I just put cams from E-head to S-head and it will work just as good?

Differences I noticed, but not sure if they affect anything?

E-Head:

2017-11-01_1837.png.f128050bc64d1e3aefa229c02926480d.png

S-Head

2017-11-01_1837_001.png.af83a8be0e747c6d5af8d92fb28a5872.png

Edited by lag

The heads will interchange without modification. That part on your E head is the hot start. The E runs hotter than an S and SM with its higher compression and lack of cooling fan so it may come in handy. Definitely not needed on relatively stock S or SM.

Thanks for the replay ptgarcia

So I can just slap the Hot Cams on the S-Head and it all should work without issue, I guess. :)

I also noticed that valve shims on the E-head had "Hot Cams" markings on them, is there any difference between Hot Cams shims and OEM?

No difference, 10mm round. Thickness may/will vary regardless of make.

Does your E head still have the factory cams? If it does, use those instead of Hot Cams.

1 minute ago, ptgarcia said:

Does your E head still have the factory cams? If it does, use those instead of Hot Cams.

I would assume that what I am referring as hot cams, are actually factory E cams, as it's E engine. But for whatever reason all the shims have Hot Cams marking on them, so I don't know.

I haven't very carefully looked at cams itself, BUT is there a marking on them that would say if they are E cams or S cams or Hot Cams? 

E cams will have letters stamped (A and B if I remember right) on the sprocket end of the shaft. I don't remember if Hot Cams are market or not, but I think factory cam sprockets are pressed on the shaft whereas Hot Cam sprockets are bolted to the shaft.

To clarify a few things.  The E head is machined for a manual compression release but has a blanking plug.  Only the kick start DRZ400 came with the manual compression release as original equipment.  Hot Start is something different.  Hot start is an air bypass system in the carb on the kick only model. 

Hot Cams has produced various models of cams.  Some have press on gears some have adjustable gears bolted on.  Yes E cams have the letters A and B.  Hot Cams are marked with model numbers. All S, SM, E, Kicker and Hot Cams interchange in all Suzuki DRZ400 heads and LTZ400 and Kawasaki clones, and some other brands as well.

Thanks for the replay ptgarcia

So I can just slap the Hot Cams on the S-Head and it all should work without issue, I guess.

I also noticed that valve shims on the E-head had "Hot Cams" markings on them, is there any difference between Hot Cams shims and OEM?

OEM shims are generally available in 025mm increments while Hotcams are in.050mm increments. That doesn't really mean much unless you are OCD and want to set clearance to a particular number.

Shims originally fitted by Suzuki were 0.025mm increment shims. Suzuki replacement shims are only available in 0.050mm increments. Hot Cams shims I don't know the increment.

HotCam shims (10mm round) are .05mm increments.

lag if it helps any, my stage 1 HotCams both have (bolted on) adjustable sprockets. And the only ID marks I could find on my stock S cams are '29F'. No idea what it means.20171102_121952.jpg.16c5ab7f0307f03ca53313ef69417e3b.jpg

Look at the end of the cam not the sprocket.  They are marked D and E.  Normal for S/SM cams.  29F is code for DRZ400 generic.

Good to know, thought the E was for exhaust. The other just looked like a rectangle mark, now I see it's a D.