rims on DRZ400

On the DRZ 400 S model, it's been established that the optimal wheel configuration is 18/21. My next question to you sages is -- Can you use wider rims than stock issue, front especially?

Pretty sure some of the older MX bikes (YZ465/YZ490) had a 18" x 2.85" rear rim.

Also pretty sure at some point in time, a 21" x 1.80" front rim was produced on some older enduro/ds bikes.

Sorry for being not too definitive. But worth looking into if you're interested. Likely have to source the hoops & have laced up, if even possible..

Sure. SM rims fit and they are 3.5" (or is it 3.25", I don't remember) wide in front.

you can really use any hoop with the right spoke pattern .. if you go too wide though you'll be flattening out your tread profile ... stock is probably best ..

(This was lost when TT went down yesterday but here it is)  The optimal wheel configuration for an S when used for its intended dual purpose application is 18/21. Rim widths are determined by the tires that are intended to fit.  So 18 by 2.15 and 21 by 1.60 are the standard rim sizes.  Yes you can use wider rims on both ends if you like. 21 by 1.85 and 18 by 2.50 would be reasonable and are in use on some 18/21 applications. I'm not sure how much wider than 1.85, 21" rims are available.  As for 18" there are many widths available.  Plus if you go to a 17" rear, even wider rims are available up to 5.5 inches.

What size tires would you like to fit is the question?  And why do you what to use those sizes?

FYI - 90/90 21 tires are often fitted to 21 by 1.60 rims even though that is considered oversize for that rim width.  A 90/90 really belongs on a 1.85.

32 minutes ago, Noble said:

(This was lost when TT went down yesterday but here it is)  The optimal wheel configuration for an S when used for its intended dual purpose application is 18/21. Rim widths are determined by the tires that are intended to fit.  So 18 by 2.15 and 21 by 1.60 are the standard rim sizes.  Yes you can use wider rims on both ends if you like. 21 by 1.85 and 18 by 2.50 would be reasonable and are in use on some 18/21 applications. I'm not sure how much wider than 1.85, 21" rims are available.  As for 18" there are many widths available.  Plus if you go to a 17" rear, even wider rims are available up to 5.5 inches.

What size tires would you like to fit is the question?  And why do you what to use those sizes?

FYI - 90/90 21 tires are often fitted to 21 by 1.60 rims even though that is considered oversize for that rim width.  A 90/90 really belongs on a 1.85.

Thanks for the knowledge Bomb. You wouldn't happen to know whether any tyre manufacturer's have a min/max rim width for rim size would you? That'd be a really handy chart.

Thinking about running 90/90 - 2154S TT, Michelin T63 Front and 130/80 - 18 66S TT, Michelin T63 Rear and wondering whether I can get away with stock rims or do I need to upsize to a 1.85" rim on the front and 2.50" on the rear?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the slight thread hijack.

Every tire manufacturer publishes recommended rim widths for their tires.  Also motorcycle manufacturers often go outside the recommended rim widths for OEM tire sizes. So it is really a judgment call on your part. In general off road tires are fitted to narrower rims than road tires. I have not been able to find Michelin T63 by that description so I'm not sure what category they fit in.  Off road 90/90-21 will go on 1.60 rim.   Dual sport 90/90-21 on 1.60 or 1.85. A road tire that size is recommended on a 2.15.  I personally run a dual sport tire 90/90-21 on a 1.60 rim.

A 130/80-18 off road tire fits on on a 2.15. Dual sport on 2.15 or 2.50.  Street on 3.00.  I run a 120/80-18 0n 2.15.

Michelin web site was hard to negotiate so I did not learn much there. What kind of tire is a Michelin T63?  Is there a name to go with T63?

What kind of riding will you do on these tires?

The T63 is a dual sport/desert tire, so probably need to go for a wider rim for those, I'm also thinking that it might be handy to have a set of wide rims for road tires for winter, hmmm, interesting.

If you're planning on running a 130 I wouldn't bother with the expense of swapping in a wider rim. It's a pretty common size here and I'm not aware of any inherent issues with that size. There are some here that like a 140, albeit a knobby.

90/90 is also common, nothing to worry about.

I run the 3.00 x 21's(or the biggest size available from that tire) on my 21" fronts , may be considered big but they work ok. 130 is the biggest I'd go on the rear without going to a wider rim . I really like my T63's , great in winter and are holding up to the abuse my TE510 is dishing out ..