2016 Sherco 300 ST opinions??

7 hours ago, Treesmacker said:

Looking at a 2016 Sherco 300 ST  for Enduro cross training and maybe try a Trial event.

I had a 2002 GasGas TXT280 about 10 yrs ago.

Any known issues to look at with the 2016 300 ST??

Thanks

why such a new bike for just a training tool ?

I'd recommend a 250.  Until you get to splattering 5 foot tall vertical walls there nothing a 300 will do that a 250 won't.  And for the beginner the 250 will be easier to learn the basics on.  I see a lot of trials riders with many years of experience that aren't riding the expert line (I.e. not doing big splatters) who try to tone down their 300s with flywheel weights, thicker base gaskets, low compression heads and slow throttles.  

Doc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Is that with all their stuff? I'm getting ready to by the whole front brake system to replace my Formula (as my thread has already revealed) with the BrakeTec, but hadn't heard of this happening.

Seems like newer models have it fixed. 

I don't have experience on these, but have read many, many, many times that the 300's have more bottom end and are less snappy than the 250-290s, ie a little easier to ride. What I CAN vouche for is that my 2.9 Sherco is noticeably more docile than my 2003 280 GG. I'd imagine the 300 Sherco would be a dream to ride. I've only ridden 1 (2017 300) for 5 minutes, but it was very nice.

• Like 1

Not interested in a hack out old bike

I would also like my 17 yr old son to try trials, I think he would be good at it.

I looked at the bike today, it's in very good shape. Now I need to make up my mind a trials bike or a dual sport bike??

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 9:35 PM, pat22043 said:

can't help you with that one, its 100% a personal decision. In my short experience, trials is a separate universe from the rest of dirt bikes. Not better or worse, just different

I did a little riding in my yard on the Sherco, it's been 13 yrs since my last trials bike. Just working on the basics for now.

I hope our winter is mild and the snow holds off...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...