RIP Tom White of White Bros.

MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY ICON
TOM WHITE PASSES AWAY AT 68

abf4dbb2-3822-497a-bbdf-5cd8e0d7734d.jpe

November 2, 2017 - Orange County, California - Tom White, famed motorcycle racer,
business owner, philanthropist, and historian, has passed away after a courageous battle
against cancer. He was 68.

Tom was raised near the ocean in Huntington Beach, California, where he grew up surfing
before discovering his life-long passion: motorcycles. He soon found his niche in flat track
racing, eventually earning national number 80 as a professional.

In 1976, White founded Tom White’s Cycle Specialties, which would later become White Brothers
Cycle Specialties when White partnered with his twin brother, Dan. Over the next 25 years,
White Brothers would grow into a nearly $40 million-a-year company that employed nearly
200 employees at its peak. White sold White Brothers in 2000, and turned his attention towards
restoring and collecting vintage motocross bikes.

Over the next decade, White’s collection grew to over 170 motorcycles, including a variety of
unique models from brands such as Husqvarna, CZ, Maico, Bultaco, BSA, and others. White
believed his efforts were but one piece of a greater industry initiative to ensure the history and
legacy of motorcycle racing in the United States remained intact and relevant for future
generations of racers and fans.

White’s Early Years of Motocross Museum, located on his family’s private property in Orange
County, California, is not open to the public, but it has played host to motorcycle industry events
including product launches, professional racing media gatherings, as well as numerous charity
fundraising efforts.

In addition to his role as a motorcycle historian, White discovered another passion over the past
few decades: announcing motorcycle races. White became the announcer of the weekly REM
motocross series at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California, one of his greatest joys.
In 2017, White was honored with a monument along Glen Helen’s Walk of Fame. White also served
as the announcer for many professional races throughout the United States, reveling in the thrill of
all disciplines of motorcycle racing.

In 2014, White was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame. And in 2018, White is due to receive the
prestigious Dick Hammer lifetime achievement award from the Southern California Trailblazers
Motorcycle Club.

“While we mourn the loss of an incredible human being, we also celebrate his life, his achievements,
his passion for motorcycles, and his love of friends and family,” says the White family. “We hope that
Tom’s life story serves as inspiration to everyone that fierce determination and good will can yield a
life extraordinarily well lived.”

Tom White passed away peacefully in his home, surrounded by his family, along several of his favorite
motorcycles. He is survived by his wife, children, grandchildren, dear friends, and motorcycle enthusiasts
around the world.

White will be honored in a memorial service to be announced at a future date.

• Like 8

Was fortunate to be a at a few functions around the motorcycle industry with Tom. What a gentlemen, through and through.

God Speed, Ripper!!

• Like 3

I still have a sticker that one of the two brothers give me in 1982. All us kids on bmx bikes poked our head in to see what's what with a bonified motorcycle shop. The guys were nice and gave us a handfull of stickers to divy up with a polite nudge out the door lol. good call on their part
their shop was right around the corner back then- Stanton CA

RIP "cool old motorcycle dude"

IMG_0349.JPG

Edited by bordsmnj
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bordsmnj said:

I still have a sticker that one of the two brothers give me in 1982. All us kids on bmx bikes poked our head in to see what's what with a bonified motorcycle shop. The guys were nice and gave us a handfull of stickers to divy up with a polite nudge out the door lol. good call on their part
their shop was right around the corner back then- Stanton CA

RIP "cool old motorcycle dude"

Didn’t you almost run him over at LDS? When you performed your amazing cement tube dismount. 

58 minutes ago, TOMSQVARNA said:

Didn’t you almost run him over at LDS? When you performed your amazing cement tube dismount. 

Nope. i missed him by at least 16 inches when i came to rest. this shot is about mid crash/first bounce.

IMG_0351.JPG

Edited by bordsmnj
  • Like 1

First meet him in 1979 or 1980...  set me up with a White Bros aluminum custom swing arm and stroker shocks for my brand new 1979 XL250S.  Reconnected a few times over the next 20 years.  Class act. :worthy:

Sad... fully supported me during the mid -90’s Four Stroke Nationals and a couple runs at Baja... such a nice guy, will be sorely missed...

Just now, stevethe said:

A little info on daughter Kirsten and where the Dubya wheels name came from. As in W.

http://www.dubyausa.com/about-us/

Also a class act...  I work with them once or twice a week...  always fun, professional and helpful no matter who answers the phone.  Was thrilled when I found out they were a White family enterprise.  The content for my original post came from them today in an email to all their clients.

My stepdad, a pit crew boss and race mechanic, knew him when he raced at ascot

• Like 1