2017 KTM EXC-F 250 vs honda crf250x

Hello,

I'm looking at these two bikes specifically. 

I like the crf250x  cause it's less money, and relatively cheap  to uncork.

I like the KTM mainly cause it's street legal and has the 6 gear. Depending on what you read, it's very costly to uncork, although I'm not sure it's really necessary????

My question is to those you may have spent time on both. Is that extra gear going to be that much better on those short 5-10 mile road sections for connecting trails?

Mainly going to be trail riding up north, probably some forest roads as well. Some single track as well.

Not looking for a DRZ, CRF250L OR WRR:)

Thanks much!!!

If it's not a matter of money the ktm is far superior. Iv had a crf250x in the past and it was nothing but problems. The ktm exc model comes with all the street legal items. I've heard that they lose a lot of power if not uncorked due to strict eu rules. Id look into the 350exc model. See if you can test ride either of the two.

I haven't kept up with Honda's offerings so I'm assuming they are selling the same old X models they've been trying to sell since the earth was hot and bubbly.  

Even corked up I suspect the KTM makes more power than an uncorked CRF250X.  I seem to remember the CRF250X makes 27 horsepower.  The 250 EXC-F or 250 FE are right around 32 horsepower.

But if you are looking to uncork them before even buying, then why not just go with the 350 EXC-F.  From memory, it makes like 46 horsepower at the crank or something like 40 at the wheel.  It handles similarly to a 250.  The power isn't hard to manage like a 450's power delivery.  The power is very linear, spread over a very large RPM range and it likes to rev.  It's just like a 250 that has more everywhere.

And all that disregards everything else that's better about the KTM like the 6 speed, Brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch, lighter, better handling, better suspension, bigger fuel tank, street legal.

The price difference can be hard to swallow, but you can get good deals on KTMs and Husky's if you negotiate and buy in the winter.  I bought my '16 350 XCF-W for $7700 in November of 2015.  

Good luck!

Doc

You know if you don't want / need it to be street legal consider the Yamaha YZ250FX, KTM 250 XC-F and Husky 250 FC.  These bikes don't have locked ecu's and all that other EPA junk and are around 40 HP stock.  They all have 6 speed gear boxes that are between MX ratios and wide ratios.  

If if you step up to the 350 KTM and Husky cross country bikes, they are over 50 horsepower at the wheel.

Doc

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

I haven't kept up with Honda's offerings so I'm assuming they are selling the same old X models they've been trying to sell since the earth was hot and bubbly.  

Yep, same bike since 2004 except for an improved valve train in 2006. It's only 14 years into the product cycle. Give Honda another 14 more years to consider updating it. 

Brand new, the CRF250X (still in it's current 2004 form) would still make a good entry level performance oriented trail & off-road bike, say a step up from a CRF230F

but unfortunately the MSRP is ridiculously close to other bikes in the same category that have newer technology and been improved over the years.

I really like mine (except for the weight), without being perfect it does everything quite well (from slow trails to even some recreational MX)

and most of all is extremely reliable but, would never buy one brand new.  There are much better options from other brands for about the same money.

Agreed, the Yamaha WR250F is another one to look at if you want the headlight and wide ratio gearing.  Yamaha has kept them updated.  With fuel injection and a 6 speed they are nice bikes.

Doc

6 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Agreed, the Yamaha WR250F is another one to look at if you want the headlight and wide ratio gearing.  Yamaha has kept them updated.  With fuel injection and a 6 speed they are nice bikes.

Doc

They come stock with a fan too. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all that have replied!