Suzuki DR-Z 400 E engine oil

Sorry for asking this simple question, i would like to know a good oil for

the Suzuki DR-Z 400 E 

full or semi-sintetic?

good brand?

Edited by Rogercorreia

If it makes any difference, I use Castrol Activ 4T. Purely because it's convenient to access and is fairly cheap. $33 (aud) for 4L, is Semi-Sythentic 15w50.

I dont ride the bike hard enough to warrant anything more expensive. I also believe in frequent oil changes. 

There will be an onslaught of opinions but honestly, if it is up to the standard needed for the bike, just use it and change often. Simples.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Any good quality Motorcycle rated oil safe for wet clutches.

what Ohio said

and just as important check the oil correctly (see the FAQ) and change the oil and filter every 1000 miles or less

• Like 3

A motor oil that meets the JASO MA or MA2 quality specification whether synthetic or not in a 10w-40 or 20w-50 for hot climates should be fine to use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RetroRanger said:

what Ohio said

and just as important check the oil correctly (see the FAQ) and change the oil and filter every 1000 miles or less

If the workshop manual specifies oil changes at 6000km or 12 months for normal road use and you use a quality oil with in specificaion, why do you need to change it sooner? Are you really gaining a benefit by changing it sooner. Surely the oil hasn't broken down after 1000km.

I believe it was recommended to use an ester based oil to prolong the life of the stator.
Search deep fried stator.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ilia . said:

If the workshop manual specifies oil changes at 6000km or 12 months for normal road use and you use a quality oil with in specificaion, why do you need to change it sooner? Are you really gaining a benefit by changing it sooner. Surely the oil hasn't broken down after 1000km.

I believe that on the E model, if you ride it often off road, and a little hard, is good to change every 1500 km, otherwise 3000 km.

It actually states 6000 km or 6 months, which ever comes 1st. There is also a note stating more frequent maintenance is required with "severe conditions". What's the definition of severe conditions?

Debating oil change schedules is only 1 step above which is the best oil. I am in the "sooner rather than later camp". In reading through years of post, it's my perception that neglecting the oil is the most common reason for engine failure. Usually the owner fills it and forgets about it until it(oil) gets low from pumping loss and other factors and ruins the head and or seizes .

• Like 6

12 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

My bike has bathed in Honda HP4S -10-40 most of it's life. 19,000 miles and counting.

Ohio,

Ive been using Honda GN4 10-40. Is this good? And should I change to full synth? I've only done three oil changes, I'm at 2,800 miles

12 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

My bike has bathed in Honda HP4S -10-40 most of it's life. 19,000 miles and counting.

And why cant i find Honda HP4S 10w40? It only seems to come in 10W30