Best way to flush fuel out of oil?

Hey guys!

So after chasing down an issue of fuel being in my Oil, it turns out the float needle isn't leaking and the carby is functioning as it should. It was an issue with the Accellerator Pump causing fuel to leak over as the throttle was constantly being turned to try and start the bike whilst it had a valve issue. 

So, I have since replaced the filter and dropped the oil twice. However it is still a bit too diluted and smells of fuel. I had left the dipstick off to try and vent the frame. I know there isn't more fuel getting Into the oil as the level isn't changing and it isn't getting worse. 

What is the best way to flush it all out? Buy 5L of cheap car oil, warm the bike, drop the oil. Rinse and repeat? Or use an engine oil flush additive? Or both? 

I know I need to get another oil filter again, should I put that in after I have flushed it out, or before? The current filter has had 1 oil gone through it and dropped and is currently on its second lot of oil. It has done maybe 20km since then. 

Cheers!

Try one oil/filter flush, toasty warm up, then easy ride.  If your oil does not pass the Sniff Test,  repeat oil/filter.  Fuel in the oil will give a rich mixture as it evaporates and gets sucked back into the airbox.  Any decent diesel truck oil is fine. 

BTW, a putt around town will not burn off fuel diluted oil.  It takes miles to get the oil hot and fuel to evaporate.  Plan a nice 70 mile ride to somewhere for lunch or dinner, bring some mates.

Ride it hard and it'll evaporate out and away.

It's no issue to have some fuel in there. Any 4 stroke ridden at low loads too often also gets fuel diluting the oil.

Well I picked up another 2x filters today and another 4L of oil. I'll go for a spin in the morning to get it warm, drop it out and put some new stuff in, then I have a trip planned to some forest trails nearby for a few hours. Then I'll give it another change after that and see how it goes. 

make sure you are doing a full oil change, the frame and the crankcase

24 minutes ago, 74jimbo said:

make sure you are doing a full oil change, the frame and the crankcase

I wouldnt think there was any other way, haha. 

Thanks for the helpful info guys! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Allooushh
      Please help! I recently bought a Yz250f and have not been able to start it, it Has spark, but there are many issues with the carby which I wanna rule out before I leap into a rebuild, ( I want to avoid a rebuild if possible as I’m low on cash). The carby at the moment is a complete mess so the usual steps to fixing it might not work. So here’s the deal with the carb: 
      - It’s leaking fuel from overflow ( really fast! ) and when I mean really fast, I mean it emptied my fuel tank in 2 mins.
      - It has a slow leak coming from somewhere under the float bowl
      - the air fuel screw is not adjusted correctly 
      - I don’t know if the electrics work on it either 
      - I don’t even know if it’s shooting fuel into the cylinder or not, as after kicking it a couple times and it’s not starting I remove the spark plug and it’s still dry. ( I tried putting fuel directly into cylinder from the spark plug hole but the bike still wouldn’t start) 
      okay so I know it’s a lot but I’m not expecting anyone to answer every single question themselves. If each person could tackle whatever problem they know it would help heaps. Also just want to know what Order to fix things in as I can’t do air fuel until the bike is running and it won’t run unless I stop the leaking and get it to spray fuel into the cylinder. And buying a new carby is not an option ( I’ve got $40 to my name atm). Please help guys thanks.

• By Sage D'Amato
      I have a 2003 yz125, it’s excessively dripping oil out of the silencer and where it meets the exhaust, there’s a lot of oil, it’s throwing out huge amounts of smoke and starting to foul out plugs. I’ve already replaced the clutch side seal (I’m almost positive it’s coming from the transmission oil) and repacked the exhaust. After that it seemed to stop or at least slowed down. After sitting for a couple months I changed the transmission oil once again and started it up, I let it warm up and didn’t feel like it had the normal amount of power and kinda bogged down, we revved the hell out of it and it cleared up and felt normal. We loaded up and drove out the the desert and I started it with the choke on and let it idle, after about a minute it died and wouldn’t turn over at all. We came back home and took out the spark plug and it was fouled replaced it and it ran again. The next day the same thing happened. Any thoughts on what I should do? The engine was recently rebuilt and I only use it for trail riding and run about a 40:1 ratio. Thanks 

• By Drzjosh125
      While riding recently, I have noticed that my bike (2006 YZ85) does not like to go into 1st gear. I will be trying to take off and stall, only to notice the bike was in 2nd the whole time. It will take quite a few kicks on the lever to even get the bike to go into 1st. It is very irritating. I recently went into the clutch side of the engine to replace some gaskets. Could I have messed something up or knocked something out of place? There are no weird noises, the bike just doesn't shift down normally when I am at a dead stop. I hate stalling because it makes me look like a trail noob compared to my friends. Any help appreciated.
    • By mosman
      I bought this last year as my local shop didn't have motorex. But then I looked at the ratings are different and I didn't use it. It's the same price as motorex but I would just want to use it up if it's safe for the bike, if not I'll let my old Volvo eat it up  i was worried that it might damage the clutch as it's designed for cars? 

• By Brock Devore
      So iv got a 2007 mule G3 just replaced both head gaskets because it was blowing all of the coolant out of radiator. After putting it all back together the problem I'm having now is every bit of the oil I put in it is coming threw the crank case hose leading into the air filter where EVERY bit of oil is coming out it! I didn't mess with the valves or anything during the head work idk what the hells going on I need help!