Rebuild a non rebuildable shock.

So I have a 98 klr250 and the rear shock is a welded non service type. The bottom out bumper vis completely gone and shocks are rare and expensive so my question is is there any way to rebuild this one ?. Would I be able to cut the bottom welded cup off and rebuild it like a modern shock or is it really just trash?

IMG_20171103_193620915.jpg

IMG_20171103_193633489.jpg

1 hour ago, mog said:

Just for gassing ....I was talking about

U got to get it apart yet, plus you need enough material to thread, I had one of these come in to me, I would of charged him £50 anhour to work on it plus parts, a new unit from Hagen was £200 I think the guy said.

Wow I have worked on a lot of bikes but am disappointed that they put all that same linkage as a KLX on that bike. Was not aware such a new bike was built this way. Shame on Kawi. I would suggest getting a KLX or KDX shock, I bet it would nearly bolt right on, and would be about the same specs for the weight of the bike. 

I found a factory new replacement online for $800 LOL what a crock.

https://www.ebay.com/i/401432015207?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Anything is possible with the right tools, equipment, time patience and money.  That being said you still end up with at best a Frankenstein barely adjustable shock.  Take the dimensions of your shock and compare them to whats available on other more dirt oriented bikes paying particular attention to the bottom clevis and having enough room for the accumulator tank, because that could open up another whole world of issues, If the bottom clevis is too wide for your linkage it still might work by shimming but do not go crazy with shims if it is too narrow the linkage may be able to take some narrowing, again with in reason, DO NOT modify the clevis to fit over a wider linkage as making a weak part weaker is never a good idea and usually ends badly.  When you find a potential replacement look up the data for it on Race tech's site and adjust spring weight to suit if you ride mainly street and the shock came from a moto-crosser or XC bike it will most likely need to be revalved and if you bought it off e-bay I'd recommend getting it fully serviced any way.  If that is out of your realm send it to Race tech, Factory Connection, or the guys at A-1 in Atlanta (not sure who's up in your neck of the woods) for a rebuild and revalve it will be money well spent, except you will be looking to upgrade the front end soon after:)

On 11/4/2017 at 5:43 PM, turbo dan said:

Theres this:

Make sure you mute the speakers before you play it unless you like getting your ears raped

That was my plan if this wasn't going to be an easy fix. I'll keep an eye on eBay for a cheap one. It's my cheap beat around town dual sport so not a big deal if I can't find one just worth a shot thanks.