Looking to buy a 2001 KLX300R

Looking to buy a used '01 KLX300. Owner said it had been running fine, then one day it started to idle rough but clears up at higher rpm. Carb probs, valves out of spec, bad fuel, old spark plug, or any other suggestions as to what this may be? Also, anything else problematic with these bikes I should look for?

Thanks

sounds like a dirty pilot jet,  don't know about '01 but early klx250r's had soft valves

Are you saying the valves could likely be worn? I guess soft valves would be better than a worn head though

3 hours ago, rider119 said:

Are you saying the valves could likely be worn? I guess soft valves would be better than a worn head though

The KLX 300's were known for the intake valves "cupping", causing the valve clearances to go to zero.

Ride on

Brewster

Would you say the klx is a worth while bike or would a XR, DRZ, or something else be a better investment?

FYI the klx I'm looking at buying for $600. Haven't seen it in person to check things like bearing play in the rear end, tire condition, visible sign of maintenance, condition of brakes or drivetrain, etc...

3 hours ago, rider119 said:

Would you say the klx is a worth while bike or would a XR, DRZ, or something else be a better investment?

FYI the klx I'm looking at buying for $600. Haven't seen it in person to check things like bearing play in the rear end, tire condition, visible sign of maintenance, condition of brakes or drivetrain, etc...

$600 is a good deal as long as the motor is OK. Other ones to consider are the DRZ250 or TTR250. Both have electric start and neither have reliability issues. 

On any one of the bikes you list you can spend money to make them better. When I bought mine new in 99 it had the best suspension, additional 50 cc's which made a huge difference in the kind of riding I do, and Green has always been my favorite color. As mentioned, no electric start which most of the guys I ride with have and is nice. It would be nice if you could get some back round on the owner. You can get a pretty good feel for the claims made about the condition of the bike by having that information.

I'm just looking at this bike to make street legal, I'll use it primarily to get to and scout trail as well as get back to trails I'm building for mountain biking. So I'm not all that concerned with performance as much as I am reliability. I have a '04 KX125 I rebuilt a few years back when I'm wanting to do some real throttle twisting! Haha although the mtb has taken a lot of my focus away from the track these days. Not having electric start does have me questioning this bike somewhat.

I'm just looking at this bike to make street legal, I'll use it primarily to get to and scout trail as well as get back to trails I'm building for mountain biking. So I'm not all that concerned with performance as much as I am reliability. I have a '04 KX125 I rebuilt a few years back when I'm wanting to do some real throttle twisting! Haha although the mtb has taken a lot of my focus away from the track these days. Not having electric start does have me questioning this bike somewhat.