Convert your Dry Sump to a Wet Sump

It sitting up in a wheelie for at least 40% of the rides, I know a wet sump would be better. I know Im going to get a 10000 different replies, why it shouldn't matter. I just want to know, is it possible and is there a kit out there?

It sitting up in a wheelie for at least 40% of the rides, I know a wet sump would be better. I know Im going to get a 10000 different replies, why it shouldn't matter. I just want to know, is it possible and is there a kit out there?

No. The motor was designed to be dry.

Thanks, I was just asking because my friend's DRZ (Only has 3000K miles on it) already blew lower bearing and his Case is opened and the mechanic wants to see if anyone has changed the sump to wet on the DRZ (Because he was saying it has been done before on other bikes and there are kits out there for other bikes). So he wanted me to reach out to others and see has it been done before on the DRZ's. Is there a way to move the pump? Is  there a way to add a hose to the pump?

37 minutes ago, Shaun Small said:

You know more about Wet VS Dry than Dr Porsche........................... ;)

I would think a dry sump would be better than a wet sump when on the back wheel for so long.  a dry sump system pumps oil into the lubricated areas of the engine from a holding tank to assure constant supply of oil. (oil leaving the engine to cool) with wet sump some oil is pumped around and some is splashed around by moving parts and the oil will always go to the lowest point in the engine (if your on the back wheel then the oil is in the back of the gearbox and away from the engine and oil pump pick up) and the oil stays in the engine keeping its heat.  up to you but id trust mr Suzuki he seems to know what hes doing.

Thanks, I was just asking because my friend's DRZ (Only has 3000K miles on it) already blew lower bearing and his Case is opened and the mechanic wants to see if anyone has changed the sump to wet on the DRZ (Because he was saying it has been done before on other bikes and there are kits out there for other bikes). So he wanted me to reach out to others and see has it been done before on the DRZ's. Is there a way to move the pump? Is  there a way to add a hose to the pump?

I don't really think dry sump had anything to do with that. The oil is moved by pressure. Whether it is stored in the bottom of the engine or frame doesn't matter. Typically the aluminum cam journals are wiped out 1st if there are any oil starvation issues

Do you have a picture of the bearing? What was the failure mode? Seize or excessive wear/ clearance?

Yes of course it is possible to convert a DRZ400 to wet sump but I know of no kit to do it.  Oil volume would be reduced.  Oil temp would increase.  I can't see any advantage of doing the mod but yes it is possible.  Maybe a short course racing application like a drag race motor that cools and has the oil changed between runs.

• Like 1

Of course it would be necessary to keep the oil below the crank to prevent oil froth. Don't know what the oil volume would be, likely under a quart.

This is a pointless argument, more an excuse for poor maintenance.

• Like 1