250 sxf piston?

Looking for a piston for my 250sxf, I highly hesitate between Vertex and Wossner pistons(cylinder needs recoating). The Vertex one is cheaper but I can't find an oversize for the bike. IIRC, wossner makes oversized pistons in .025" increment for that bike so here are my choice

1- Get The cylinder recoated and install a Vertex piston

2- Get an oversized Wossner piston and get the cylinder honed

What do you think? 1 or 2? Of course, the second option would be cheaper but what about the reliability of the honed cylinder vs the freshly recoated one?

Option 1. Or buy a new cylinder and run an OEM piston. Also OEM has a slightly larger piston option. Possibly use one of those and don’t need to do anything to piston.

You can't hone the cylinder a complete piston size. The nikisil will be entirely gone. Just call millennium and do a core exchange with an oem piston which is better then either of those vendors. Even if you use the same vendor as the maker of the oem part , if it isn't an actual oem piston it won't have oem propriety work.

So you highly recommend that I use an oem piston? Because here in Canada they are pricey and as far as I know Vertex make really good piston

You can't hone the cylinder a complete piston size. The nikisil will be entirely gone. Just call millennium and do a core exchange with an oem piston which is better then either of those vendors. Even if you use the same vendor as the maker of the oem part , if it isn't an actual oem piston it won't have oem propriety work.

I actually have the same opinion as you when it's for my cr250 I only buy oem parts but for that bike I just dont want to put as much money in the engine as I did with my cr after all that's just a 4 stroke...

I actually have the same opinion as you when it's for my cr250 I only buy oem parts but for that bike I just dont want to put as much money in the engine as I did with my cr after all that's just a 4 stroke...

Well, I get it. I just think the newer engines are more advanced and are all so very potent and adjustable it's worth paying more. It's a works bike compared to a cr250....and I love cr250s

Well, I get it. I just think the newer engines are more advanced and are all so very potent and adjustable it's worth paying more. It's a works bike compared to a cr250....and I love cr250s

That's probably true though. Another option is to get a big bore kit like a 280cc as I plan to use that bike as a wood bike/everyday bike. With a bbk I would get the bottom end power that I need for wood riding but the reliability might get hurt with a kit like that. Btw that's a 2010 250sxf that bike doesn't compare to the newer ones

The 2010 era one ran hot as a big bore

The 2010 era one ran hot as a big bore

Thanks for the input! I might consider keeping it as a 250cc do you have any numbers for the temperature?

I don't sorry, but as a Mx bike they were fine ,off road enduro etc you needed a fan etc to keep them reliable

I don't sorry, but as a Mx bike they were fine ,off road enduro etc you needed a fan etc to keep them reliable

Well good to know thank you! I'll keep an eye on that!