battery booster/charger/tender, etc... how, where? also: anti theft/anti e-start, how?

Hey guys.  for a 2013 450 SXF thats a snowbike.  it has NO kick start.   im very scared of it dying 25 miles away from the truck, in 8' of snow.  I would be royally screwed.

is the SXF version the motocross 4 stroke?  why does it have a battery and an electric start?

id like to get a battery booster for on the trail if it ever dies, and a tender for when its just sitting in the shop.    how exactly does one go about doing this?  

electrical is my major weak spot.

ideally, id like to wire it all to a plug that I can cleanly and easily plug into. no need to take the seat and stuff off.   how can this be done?

also, how can I disable the electric start??  when I go away to work, I do not want my drunken buddies starting my bike in the garage with 1 simple push of a button and showing their friends how awesome it sounds via cold red lining it!!

Edited by cdf450

I just did some reading.... seems like this is the guy I want:  http://propowerinternational.com/volt/propower-volt-jump-starter   ???

also, during my reading, I seen somewhere that these new EFI bikes cant be jump/pull started?!  is that true???

im also wanting a rekluse on the snowbike..... rekluse and electric start/no kick start seem like a receipe for disaster???

what are we supposed to do?

Edited by cdf450

Yes, one of those micro-starters is what you want.  They are light weight, easy to carry, and they'll start your bike no matter where you are...no need to have to worry about bump starting it. 

But, if it really comes to that point, you can bump start your bike.  The 'can't bump start a FI bike' has to do with the more elaborate electrical steps up where you need the battery to power the fuel pump.  With these mx bikes, that's not the case.  Think about it...bump starting uses the same principle to start a bike as a kick starter.  And there are plenty of FI bikes that still use a kick starter, isn't there?

As far as the Rekluse goes, I do believe there is an adjustment that can be made to make it able to be bump started.  Not 100% sure though.  But I say simply carry a micro-starter any you'll never have to worry.

Finally, if your bike is anything like my 17 350sxf, the starter button should lead to a connector behind the front number plate.  If you are that worried about drunk friends, you can simple unplug the connector and the bike wont start (with the starter button, at least).  

• Like 1

Awesome. Super helpful reply. I'm going to start looking into the rekluse bump start very soon here as I'm going to be buying one, as well as the micro starter. Any brands to stay away from? Or to specifically look for?

Basically you have to take the rekluse out of adjustment , to be able to bump start, then you have the task of getting it back to where it was, or it will need readjustment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud786 said:

Basically you have to take the rekluse out of adjustment , to be able to bump start, then you have the task of getting it back to where it was, or it will need readjustment.

This^^^.

It takes an Allen wrench to change the adjustment, so I always have one in my tool bag (when I have my tool bag with me).  I've never tried it personally, but this should work, because the clutch basically becomes "locked" up permanently at that point, and to disengage it, you simply pull in the clutch lever...

13 hours ago, jmfreeman535 said:

But, if it really comes to that point, you can bump start your bike.  The 'can't bump start a FI bike' has to do with the more elaborate electrical steps up where you need the battery to power the fuel pump.  With these mx bikes, that's not the case.  Think about it...bump starting uses the same principle to start a bike as a kick starter.  And there are plenty of FI bikes that still use a kick starter, isn't there?

I'm not totally for sure about this, because I've never had an FI kick start bike, but I believe that they still have a battery in there, albeit a very small one to allow the FI to work until the bike is fulling running.

Same thing applies to the KTM's.  If your battery is completely 100%, you can't bump start it.  You have to get some power to the FI module to get it started, and then it's fine.  Search around on here.  Some people do not use batteries for this task, but rather capacitors, which provide enough power to get the FI module going...

My bike is FI...and it has a kick starter...2012 350 XCF-W.

There is nothing "elaborate" about what you need to fire up the fuel pump in order to bump start....all you need is some battery power...and not very much of that either. Many so called "dead" batteries, which are too far gone to run the estart, will have enough juice left to power up the fuel pump...so just kick start or bump start it.  If your battery is suddenly absolutely 100% dead...(fairly unusual in my experience)....then you will need an alternate electrical power source...the micro starter you are thinking of purchasing is all you need. Once you hook that up your estart will work so you won't even need to bother with a bump start.

There are a couple threads on here (or KTM Talk) that show you how to rig up a simple 9 volt (Duracell type) battery and a capacitor...to get your fuel pump working if your battery is 100% gone. There are a number of solutions...the problem is basically not all that serious...although I certainly agree that getting stranded miles away from anything, in deep snow would pose a potentially very serious problem.

FI is very reliable...I've been riding FI for 5 years...I've never had an fuel delivery related problem of any kind in that time....I can't say that about any 5 year run on any carbed bike I've owned. On that same note....why do you not want a kick starter?...it gives you one more way to "get out of Dodge"!!  Given the danger potential of being stranded in deep snow...I would think a kick starter would be #1 on your list of "wants"....just asking.

As far a a Rekluse goes....like spud says...a simple adjustment that can be easily done on the trail, can basically negate the function of the Rekluse...it just becomes a normal "clutched" bike...so bump start/kick start all you want. 

PS...just a question...I'm curious...why would you need a Rekluse on a snow bike? It's not like your clutching up rocky hills or threading your way along stream beds etc....basically everything is just gliding over snow pack...can't imaging how that would require heavy clutch use...so why bother with a Rekluse?..just wondering what I'm not getting.

As far as drunken buddies go....IMHOP....find a better class of friends. Any buddy of mine that would get so drunk on a regular basis that he would go out and F#%$ around with my $10,000+ bike...wouldn't stay my buddy for long....but that's just me.

Edited by travertt

I use a two pin trailer wiring connection extensions...3.49 gets you two ends and 24inches of wire....then a harbor freight trickle charger 5.00 on sale...cut off the clamps and swap for 2pin connector....then grab a 30.00 black and decker  lithum jump box. All less than 45.00 with connectors and you are ready to handle all of the above problems. Those black and decker boxes fit in a back pack...are light weight....they include a usb charge port and a working light on the side

P.S. use the shrouded pin of the 2pin connector as the positive wire on the bikes wireside...to prevent sparking on the frame or metal.

If you want to get super fancy you can buy a usb plug and put a two pin connector on it and have a usb charging port on the bike when you aren't trickle charging or Jumpstarting it.  mine came form Cycle gear  7.99 or a cigarette plug...or a tire pump with 2pin connection.

Hope that helps

Edited by William Luther
spelling

I have a snow bike and I have had to remove my seat numerous times to boost. Buy a good booster. One of these to be exact. You're looking for a rating with Joules or wH (watt hours)

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters 

The GB40 is a good size, fits in my ktm bag on the fender. 

I wired a forklift battery connector into my airbox (Not sure if you have the quick snap cover like mine) SB50 size is what I asked for at my wholesaler. 

As for bumpstarting a snowbike? Good luck. The unit is geared down with additional gears and trying to turn that over is nearly impossible. 

Myself being an electrical engineer would highly advise against capacitors unless you're very familiar with the operations and characteristics of them. 

Also if you buy a battery booster they are most of the time nimh which lose a lot of strength when cold. So if you buy one keep it somewhere not too cold when riding. Probably inside your winter jacket

6 hours ago, shingo said:

Also if you buy a battery booster they are most of the time nimh which lose a lot of strength when cold. So if you buy one keep it somewhere not too cold when riding. Probably inside your winter jacket

None of this is true. Most are Lithium ion; which out perform any battery in the cold. 

Here's an article explaining things layman's terms. 

https://www.lithiumpros.com/how-does-cold-weather-affect-lithium-batteries/

On 11/4/2017 at 0:51 PM, cdf450 said:

Hey guys.  for a 2013 450 SXF thats a snowbike.  it has NO kick start.   im very scared of it dying 25 miles away from the truck, in 8' of snow.  I would be royally screwed.

is the SXF version the motocross 4 stroke?  why does it have a battery and an electric start?

id like to get a battery booster for on the trail if it ever dies, and a tender for when its just sitting in the shop.    how exactly does one go about doing this?  

electrical is my major weak spot.

ideally, id like to wire it all to a plug that I can cleanly and easily plug into. no need to take the seat and stuff off.   how can this be done?

also, how can I disable the electric start??  when I go away to work, I do not want my drunken buddies starting my bike in the garage with 1 simple push of a button and showing their friends how awesome it sounds via cold red lining it!!

My battery tender cable hides in my air cleaner cavity.  I just pull the filter cover off and connect it up.

For the E-start.  The start button is on a plug and socket arrangement.  You can simply unplug it.  Of course your "friends" may figure it out.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor and get the micro start xp1. About the size of the new iPhone and 1" thick. You could jump your bike 10+ times on 1 fill charge.
I keep an xp10 in the truck and xp1 in my riding bag. Well worth the money