Aftermarket Fork Seals

Anyone have a problem with aftermarket fork seals on 41mm Xr250 forks?  Moose, All Balls, and others?  

My 1991 seals both started leaking at the same time.  Bike wasn’t ridden much last couple years.

not on a 250 but I got some pyramid parts fork seals off ebay for the yz80 they lasted about a week with maybe 2-3 small rides and are leaking.

not really worth the effort when oem seals are fairly cheap and last.

99% of the time the seal leaks but isn't bad, just has some dirt under it.
Taking the forks off, then apart is the real work, most people replace the seal cuz the forks are apart.
You can try sliding something like a business card behind the seal and run it around the fork.
Or they sell a seal cleaner-out-thing... (Motion Pro??) does the same thing.
We've bought and re-sold a LOT of bikes, some have leaking fork seals.
We don't replace seals usually, just clean around it, or take fork apart and clean the seal, never had one leak.
In your case... The theory is a bike sits for a couple of years, the seal dries out and leaks...
Forks oil seals that are leaking don't dry out cuz there's oil all over the seal.
Try this first, costs nothing and it takes about 60 seconds.
Good luck.

Pull the dust seal and try this. Cheap and you can youtube it.

leaking%20fork%20seals.jpg

Otherwise if you do your forks a full Pivot Works kit and theirs are very good but IMO SKF seals are the best.

Edited by filterx

I like OEM seals.  If you disassemble the forks, take a look at the bushings, quite possibly worn. 

The first thing I tried was the business card before the ride.  It didn’t help but maybe I just cleaned the wiper and not all the way down into the seal. Business card came out pretty clean so not much was in there.  Boots have never been off.  Seals were fine for last 7,000 miles.  At end of ride, I added some air through the shrader valves to traverse a sand wash and it seems to still be holding air pressure after three weeks.  Weird.

Also, I felt a rough spot on one fork tube, maybe a spot of corrosion, when I ran the bus. card.  It seems smooth now.  Oil was all over the front brake at end of 140 mile ride on tricky single track section.

I guess I’ll have to pull it apart.  

XR250L damper rod forks are not the world’s greatest.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, arthur6 said:

99% of the time the seal leaks but isn't bad, just has some dirt under it.
Taking the forks off, then apart is the real work, most people replace the seal cuz the forks are apart.
You can try sliding something like a business card behind the seal and run it around the fork.
Or they sell a seal cleaner-out-thing... (Motion Pro??) does the same thing.
We've bought and re-sold a LOT of bikes, some have leaking fork seals.
We don't replace seals usually, just clean around it, or take fork apart and clean the seal, never had one leak.
In your case... The theory is a bike sits for a couple of years, the seal dries out and leaks...
Forks oil seals that are leaking don't dry out cuz there's oil all over the seal.
Try this first, costs nothing and it takes about 60 seconds.
Good luck.

end of a plastic zip tie works great for this.

I look at it this way; If your going to pull it all apart do it right, OEM parts, so you don't have to do it all over in a few days, months.

I used aftermarket seals once.  Had to replace them after two rides with OEM.  I will never go aftermarket again.  

The few dollars of savings is not work it imo.  

Honda OEM are the best.

8 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Honda OEM are the best.

This times a gazillion!

SKF, nothing else compares...