help me design/figure out a mount for this? pretty simple

Hey guys. trying to mount a pelican case onto a yeti cargo rack.  pretty simple stuff.   ive got a good idea (I think its good) but just wanted to see what you guys figure... maybe youve got a better idea.

I am basically planning on fabbing/buying 4 clamps that will bite around the yetis rails.  on the center of the top clamp, it would be threaded or have a nut welded onto it, so I could set the box on top, drill 4 holes in the bottom of the pelican case, and mount it ONTO my rail clamps.  should work?

any one got any other suggestions?

10187079.jpg

download.gif

It looks like a good idea to me. I'd recommend fender washers inside and under the case, and rubber washers or grommets in between for vibration damping. Also nylock nuts where used. Maybe not exactly the clamp you have in mind, but Mcmaster Carr has a pretty good selection.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#loop-pipe-hangers/=1a40rz3

https://www.mcmaster.com/#grounding-pipe-clamps/=1a410uy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdf450 said:

Hey guys. trying to mount a pelican case onto a yeti cargo rack.  pretty simple stuff.   ive got a good idea (I think its good) but just wanted to see what you guys figure... maybe youve got a better idea.

I am basically planning on fabbing/buying 4 clamps that will bite around the yetis rails.  on the center of the top clamp, it would be threaded or have a nut welded onto it, so I could set the box on top, drill 4 holes in the bottom of the pelican case, and mount it ONTO my rail clamps.  should work?

any one got any other suggestions?

10187079.jpg

download.gif

Out of interest, what snow bike set-up is this?

And IMO this isn't snow bike specific so I'd like to see the Pelican case but why not just use a couple of bungie cords or tie downs then you don't have to drill into the case and compromise its waterproofing and super easy to put on/take off as needed?

• Like 2

Out of interest, what snow bike set-up is this?

And IMO this isn't snow bike specific so I'd like to see the Pelican case but why not just use a couple of bungie cords or tie downs then you don't have to drill into the case and compromise its waterproofing and super easy to put on/take off as needed?

13 Ktm 450 with a thumper racing 520 big bore.

2017 yeti 129 with every upgrade.

IMG_3287.thumb.jpg.5a57afaf6928f217979b469e6c020bf8.jpgIMG_3288.thumb.jpg.2a3ae61ce474d84282bf56c77d4205eb.jpgIMG_3264.thumb.jpg.d63c54c360d46d7a1cf20f5ffa45a3bf.jpgIMG_2437.thumb.jpg.b41d3fa4428a95a2c8d35ba3ab70db18.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

• Like 3

Ya not to get off topic and I'm not snow biking my self but there are lots of my bud's using either the timbersleds, yetis or camso setups and sounds like you've got a great set-up for big mountain riding in the deep powpow:)

I did mean to ask "seeing the case on the rack in your original pic" to see if it fit inside and are you going with the setup in your last pics?

IMO if the case sits inside the rack, I would cut out a piece of 1/2" thick high density foam or a thick yoga mat to put under the case. Then use 2 x tie downs (either rackets or pressure) and reef it down tight.

Does the spare gas can have a quick release bolt that holds it to the rack then ratchet strap ?

• Like 1

Yeah I'm definitely going to put foam or rubber underneath it. And on all washers. Not sure if I'd like the bungee strap or net idea

I don't trust bungee straps. Ratchet straps are too much fiddling around especially when clogged with snow and ice. The pelican case is super strong and the lid latches are super tough so I figure if I mount it from the bottom it'll be good enough.

Not sure how it's gonna sit/ which side the lid should be on quite yet

I also need to figure out how to quickly mount my shovel and be able to take it off in case of emergency

Just noticed on the pic of your Pelican case that there are ribs on the hinged side. If also on the lid release side, drilling there and fabricating side brackets may be an option. You can then use hitch pins instead of bolts for quick release.

IMG_3288.jpg.869421e213994b2b4e342e4708dedc4f.jpg.af9ff9ac6b57d2074753cd871f87e69e.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Yeah I'm definitely going to put foam or rubber underneath it. And on all washers. Not sure if I'd like the bungee strap or net idea

I don't trust bungee straps. Ratchet straps are too much fiddling around especially when clogged with snow and ice. The pelican case is super strong and the lid latches are super tough so I figure if I mount it from the bottom it'll be good enough.

Not sure how it's gonna sit/ which side the lid should be on quite yet

I also need to figure out how to quickly mount my shovel and be able to take it off in case of emergency

I'd look into below for quick install/removal and I should have asked this originally but what are you planing on carrying in the case?

Then IMO and from my experience in the big mountain back country, you want to have your probe and shovel in a back pack firmly secured to your person (like your beacon) cus if the worst case happens, your sled might get swept away from you then you still have the probe/shovel.

Ya great idea for both brackets and hitch pins :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Just noticed on the pic of your Pelican case that there are ribs on the hinged side. If also on the lid release side, drilling there and fabricating side brackets may be an option. You can then use hitch pins instead of bolts for quick release.

IMG_3288.jpg.869421e213994b2b4e342e4708dedc4f.jpg.af9ff9ac6b57d2074753cd871f87e69e.jpg

As far as tie does go, there are LOTS of rubber options and as long as don't get brittle in the cold, would IMO still be the simplest.

Might give you some ideas :)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rubber+tie+down+straps&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif-PvtiKjXAhUT9mMKHYTuAdoQ_AUICigB&biw=1096&bih=559

Edited by filterx

Awesome. Good info guys. I never woulda thought I'd that side mount. That might just work too if there's ribs in each side. Can't remember.

I'm not too sure what I plan on putting in there tbh. I also have a handlebar bag that I'm not too sure what to fill with. And a backpack that I might be able to keep empty from now on. Impulse buys I guess.

Good point about the shovel being on the person. I'm definitely gonna change that!

• Like 1

I use a pelican case on my Yeti as well.

I cut 2 strips about 2 inches wide off a heavy duty inner tube and glued them to the bottom of the case.

And use 3 snap straps over the top. You may call them bungee cords or whatever you like, I just call them snap straps.

Bend the hooks as closed to as closed as you can and still get them on the rack.

Otherwise they can and will catch on something or wear into something. 

I also usually ride in the mountains and so take the same trail home as I do up.

And extra weight is a huge negative. 

So write my name on my gas can, and when i get to where its starts getting intoharder riding I stop and take off my gas can, top up the bikes tank, and then leave my gas can there. Go play in the mountains and on the way out I stop and top off the gas again and strap the gas can back onto my tunnel.

These snowbike kits are very heavy as it is, no need to lug around and extra 20 pounds of fuel on the tunnel. 

• Like 2

On 05/11/2017 at 1:41 PM, cdf450 said:

Awesome. Good info guys. I never woulda thought I'd that side mount. That might just work too if there's ribs in each side. Can't remember.

I'm not too sure what I plan on putting in there tbh. I also have a handlebar bag that I'm not too sure what to fill with. And a backpack that I might be able to keep empty from now on. Impulse buys I guess.

Good point about the shovel being on the person. I'm definitely gonna change that!

Ya and I'm assuming that you are carrying the shovel not just to dig the snow bike out?

Cus I want to make sure you understand that IF you are riding big mountain back country, you and your buds need to carry beacons and probes and shovels and IMO take an Avie coarse. Then practice with them and make sure you understand the conditions for where your are riding before you go out.

Far to many preventable avalanche related deaths in BC and AB in the last few years on motorized vehicles so have fun BUT please be careful.

Then I'd like to see some GPS tracks from your snow biking :)

• Like 2

good posts, once again guys.  lots of food for thought.  one guy I know went out with 4 guys two years ago, and only 2 came home.  so it definitely happens, and it happens quick.

I really dont trust those bungee cords, but you guys seem to have good luck with them eh?

never thought about ditching the gascan and maybe even the pelican.  I dont think wed ride that long/hardcore.  im still a beginner.

I will definitely have GPS tracks.  I went to work for 7 weeks, came back, and the gps in my camelback was still at 30%!!!!!.  still loving it and using it every single ride!!!  

• Like 1

Up here 98% of riders carry safety gear like beacons etc.

Problem is maybe half actually ever practice and truly know how to use them. 

Some people do not even know if they are around the group searching they have to switch theirs to receive so its not sending a signal out. 

I've taught many how to use their gear.

Education is paramount. 

Many need to be taught a lot more than that.

Like only 1 person at a time on tough climbs.

Checking that nobody is coming up before heading over the edge to go down a steep trail.

Let people not going riding with you where you plan to go and when to expect you home.

If they have not got a call an hour after your expected to call with the everything is good, they can call emergency services. 

When I see people who look new riding up in the mountains instead of laughing at them like some do, I try to offer tips, or even invite them to join me sometimes. 

• Like 2