Bruce Triplett fork review on my 2002 xr200 with xr350 forks.....

Well, here it goes......bruce did my forks for me a while back and here is the results......ive rode mx tracks and woods trails......they work awesome on everything......they feel good going over rocks and roots, you dont even realize they are there......no more busy front end.....i actually had a loose fist sized rock i kept riding over in my yard and didnt realize it til later, then i purposely rode over it to see if i was delusional but the forks acted like the rock wasnt even there.......the front end feels planted all the time in all situations and i have worn out tires front and rear and the bike still feels great.....with new tires it should be awesomer........for the trails i had the oil level lower than i had it for mx......you can feel a difference with the oil heights......lower oil height delivers plusher ride out in the woods. you can go with the higher oil height for woods but you just get beat up a tad faster......with any oil height though they are still nice, just softer or stiffer......

mx they did awesome......mx isnt as demanding as trails are.....i ride the xr200 full tilt in the woods and track.....on the mx track where there is usually a formed rut around turns i could enter the turn in the rut and then turn out of it without losing control exiting to make my own comfortable line, so in essence i make my own lines without worrying of swapping all over the place or falling down......the forks just stayed planted and went where i wanted to go.....rollers and jumps the bike felt awesome for me, i dont jump the bike full tilt just kind of roll over them......now im 100 pounds heavier and 31 years older than back in my cr125 days but i can say this xr200 im riding feels good with the fork mods and better rear shock....lol.....the xr200 is way slower than my old cr125 but its still fun and having the control without worrying of crashing at its speed is fun.....id like to get an old 86 cr125 again and let bruce do the forks......

so if you have conventional old style forks bruce would be the way to go......i dont know if he does the new stuff, you will have to call him......he did my forks for 90 bucks delivered, i just sent him the damper rods which are about a foot long or so, but i think he went up to 100 bucks...... i had racetech do my forks back in 1986 on my cr125 and they were just as good as bruces mods but racetech added the cartridges to my forks which made them feel a little heavier than stock......bruce will get my business if i get an old bike again.....i like the feel of his mods.....just as good as racetech's and a lot cheaper......now the kicker is this review is with a stock 1988 rear shock off a xr200 rebuilt on my 2002 xr200......it needs to be re-valved for my fat butt but it works better than the stock pogo stick shock i had on it.....once that gets re-valved and re-sprung for me it should make bruces mods feel even better.......got any questions just ask!!!!

Hi Joe,

Only (1) question, did you use the stock XR350R springs, or did you have to go another route ???

Oh ya, good report, much appreciated, as this the direction I want to take my Son's bike. 

Michael 

Edited by KTM520EXC

3 hours ago, KTM520EXC said:

Hi Joe,

Only (1) question, did you use the stock XR350R springs, or did you have to go another route ???

Oh ya, good report, much appreciated, as this the direction I want to take my Son's bike. 

Michael 

i had to buy new springs for my weight......but i tried the stock ones and they work too......stock are 31 and the ones i had made for me per bruce are 46-52 progressive ones.....http://www.cannonracecraft.com/ made them for me for 140 delivered.......

id say the stock springs would work for woods riding better and the 46-52 springs are for when i do mx.....bruce recommends 5 wt fork oil but i like the 2.5 wt oil better.....belray brand fork oil is what i use...as bruce and racetech have told me, fork oil weight adjusts the rebound speed only for my forks and i liked the faster rebound with 2.5 weight oil, the thicker the oil the slower the rebound......compression is adjusted by oil height and bruces mods that he does to the damper rods.....with racetech you would use the gold valves to adjust compression ( for my forks ).......next spring ill have racetech do my rear shock over and ill buy a new spring for it from cannon racecraft if racetech doesnt carry the rear spring size i need.....

should be a really cushy ride flying around in the woods, so ive been told by racetech.....and the kewl part is all i have to do is turn the clickers on the rear shock to adjust for woods or mx, unlike the forks where i adjust oil levels and maybe change out the springs......1 inch in fork oil level really makes a difference in compression......now thats for my forks, others might be able to turn a clicker to adjust compression with bruces mods.....every fork is different, depends how they are made internally......

a lot of people hate racetech fork mods with the gold valves but i believe they just dont know how to play with the adjustments racetech gives them....

the gold valves have a lot of variables and it means you might have to change out gold valve springs or turn the little nut on them to change pre-load on them to get to what you want.....i can see where thats a lot but when you find that magic feeling its worth the work to me......good luck man !!!!!!

Edited by joethumper

i tried a friends xr400 and it was nice......he had the gold valves in his forks with the racetech described mods for them......from my memory of my 86 cr125 fork and shock mods done by racetech 30 years ago the bike was awesome back then, they make bikes plush......they got rid of the headshake it was notorious for too......id always tell someone to get the suspension right first then do the motor.......a crappy suspended bike with a faster motor wont handle any better and might be harder to ride......get the right springs for your weight first then go for the re-valve if you cant afford it all at once.....thats how it is right now for my 2002 honda xr200 rear-end......i got the spring adjusted for my weight with homemade grommets between the rungs which is like cutting off a whole turn of spring rung which makes it stiffer.....i might try and make it 2 rows with the grommets and make it really stiff to see what that feels like......but someday ill just get a new spring for my weight but until then ill use the grommet method....fun,fun,fun !!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe,

OK, so when you mean gold valves, I am speculating you mean RT emulators, which are totally different, just looking for clarification ???

Are you using RT emulators with Bruce's modifed damper rods ???

Thanks !!!

Michael 

bruces mods are just holes drilled in the damper rods that the stock rods dont have.......they are drilled at certain spots and of different sizes and thats it for his mods

1 minute ago, KTM520EXC said:

So Bruce's modded damper rods and cannon springs, correct ???

Michael 

right

Joe,

Yes, I totally agree with you on suspension before engine mods, which is where I am at on my XR200R and my Sons. 

Mine has the XR400R front end and still chasing better compliance on the 1st 4th of the suspension, everything else is fine. 

I put progressive springs designed for the XR200R in my Son's and he stated it was much improved.  

Speculating Bruce's mod would make his even better. 

We both have the longer suspended 87's.

Thanks for sharing w/ the group. 

Michael 

47 minutes ago, KTM520EXC said:

Joe,

Yes, I totally agree with you on suspension before engine mods, which is where I am at on my XR200R and my Sons. 

Mine has the XR400R front end and still chasing better compliance on the 1st 4th of the suspension, everything else is fine. 

I put progressive springs designed for the XR200R in my Son's and he stated it was much improved.  

Michael 

call bruce about your xr400 forks......id be curious to what he recommends......let me know if you do......

Edited by joethumper

5 minutes ago, KTM520EXC said:

Joe,

Michael 

id like to see some pics of those xr200's you own......sound awesome!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, joethumper said:

a good handling bike makes for faster riding and for longer riding times at speed and less effort to feel in control

lol....thats a life quote from me i should have it immortalized....lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KTM520EXC said:

Joe,

OK, so when you mean gold valves, I am speculating you mean RT emulators, which are totally different, just looking for clarification ???

Are you using RT emulators with Bruce's modifed damper rods ???

Thanks !!!

Michael 

michael.....just went to the racetech website and the fork gold valves are the emulators.......unless you are talking about something else and i misunderstood your message

On 11/4/2017 at 2:33 PM, joethumper said:

sorry for the confusion but i get passionate about how my bike handles......lol

How hard was the swap to xl350 shocks? What year shocks?

15 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

How hard was the swap to xl350 shocks? What year shocks?

i think you mean forks?......it wasnt a big deal just needed a spacer underneath the top triple clamp about an inch long......you will see what i mean when you try to do it, the top triple clamp sits too low and needs to be raised up so the nut can come in contact with the threads.......i used the whole front-end of the xr350 wheel and all......discarded the whole xr200 front-end, tire and all....what i used was off a 1984 xr350.....you could probably use any honda dirt bike front end of that era,,,,,i just happen to have the xr350 hanging around with no motor so i used its front-end......ill be honest......after doing this i wish i just saved my money and bought a full size dirt bike......xr200's are too slow to race modern machines.....or hang with your buddies trail riding......i get left in the dust all the time, and they have to keep waiting for me......i quit riding with buddies and ride alone now........it is a good bike for trail riding alone or with others with slow bikes

• Like 1

Update: forks feel awesome.....in every situation.....just get the right oil height and the right springs for you weight and you are good to go.....

over any object you feel in control no matter what it was..... name it and it feels like its not even there.....

take the time and effort to set them up......not very hard

i want to get another old bike just to let bruce do the forks over...... maybe a 1986 cr125.....lol