need some advice about switching bikes

i hate to be another guy with a what bike to buy forum but thats kinda what im down too...

I currently own a 2014 300xc and started racing this summer ( i live in Ontario) and had a great time. Just for reference im a mid pack Novice B rider.

I love  my 300 and grew up riding 2 strokes but i find my bike to be a big handful  as i  start to fatigue later on in a race.    ive had a few people suggest switching to a 250xc-f.

Ive owned 4 strokes in the past and enjoyed them.  I do figure i might be a bit faster and possibly less fatigued with the 4 stroke     

i guess my questioned is aimed to anyone who has made the change   and if it helped them out in any way shape or form?

My vote would be swapping cylinders to a 250xc set up. Faster and cheaper, you already know your bike and it will be more manageable. The thumper would be good too, but I find the weight to be hard to handle late into a long ride.

• Like 1

i hate to be another guy with a what bike to buy forum but thats kinda what im down too...
I currently own a 2014 300xc and started racing this summer ( i live in Ontario) and had a great time. Just for reference im a mid pack Novice B rider.
I love  my 300 and grew up riding 2 strokes but i find my bike to be a big handful  as i  start to fatigue later on in a race.    ive had a few people suggest switching to a 250xc-f.
Ive owned 4 strokes in the past and enjoyed them.  I do figure i might be a bit faster and possibly less fatigued with the 4 stroke     

i guess my questioned is aimed to anyone who has made the change   and if it helped them out in any way shape or form?
Your suspension, handlebar controls, and steering stabilizer set up could possibly be wearing you out too. Getting a tower of power so you can do pullups and dips every day at home will help stamina tremendously after a few good weeks of hitting them daily, and of course staying hydrated along with supplementing your diet with potassium, magnesium, and zinc...a few key things i learned from guys at the gym that really helped me with soreness and fatigue. Hate for you to give up on that 300 they are sweet!

Your suspension, handlebar controls, and steering stabilizer set up could possibly be wearing you out too. Getting a tower of power so you can do pullups and dips every day at home will help stamina tremendously after a few good weeks of hitting them daily, and of course staying hydrated along with supplementing your diet with potassium, magnesium, and zinc...a few key things i learned from guys at the gym that really helped me with soreness and fatigue. Hate for you to give up on that 300 they are sweet!

Thanks for the tip. Yes my physical fitness can definitely use a little boosting and a properly set up suspension may really help. I also do t wanna get rid of the bike. It’s in very good shape. I just find myself riding it a ear high everywhere avoiding the power band so I dont get into trouble lol. That’s where the thinking a 4 stroke might be good. As that’s essentially how I’m trying to ride this 300
  • Like 2

Odds are pretty good you would have very similar issues on any bike.

Racing is a whole different aspect to riding and it takes a while to tune into it all. Mentally it's easy to get carried away, you grip tighter, pick up your bike more etc etc.

That being said, there are two things you can do to make the bike better. Do something (anything) with your forks and tame the 300 down. Lots of avenues to do this. Jet it rich, fiddle with PV springs, throw an XC-W head on it etc.

• Like 4

What 737 said. 

You can do a lot with different power valve springs and turning the square head adjuster screw In and out. 

Edited by lookntoride
  • Like 1

No one has mentioned a 200 yet?!

I have a 2013 250xc that runs great and I enjoy it.  I bought a 200xc as a "spare" and have found myself enjoying it more than the 250.  It is much more race-pleasant than its bigger brothers, IMO.  It's about more than just power delivery, the bike is also lighter and steers easier.

Edited by DernHumpus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KTMfinrider said:

xc and xc-w shares the same cylinder head. SX has different head. 

Not on most years. The XC and SX are close. 

21 hours ago, 7thirtyseven said:

Not on most years. The XC and SX are close. 

You are simply wrong.

I have bought from dealer two 300 kits since 2012. One was for 2012 exc and other 2014 exc. Both  of the kits came with cylinder head which says XC/EXC. 

Or are you talking about some ancient, old schoold models lol...

Edited by KTMfinrider

You are simply wrong.

I have bought from dealer two 300 kits since 2012. One was for 2012 exc and other 2014 exc. Both  of the kits came with cylinder head which says XC/EXC. 

Or are you talking about some ancient, old schoold models lol...

You are partially correct The actual combustion chamber part is the same yes. By that I mean cylinder, piston, crank etc are the same yes. But the differences between the XC and the XC-W are not motor related per say. The XC-W has a different gearing in the transmission. Also the suspension is much softer than the XC. Also the XC-W has a pds rear shock so it mounts on top of the swing arm, it has no shock linkage like the XC and all motocross bikes. But as for the motor itself they are basically the same. If we are splitting hares I believe the head is a bit different between the xc and xc-w as well. So they are very close, but very different machines in their own ways. So I’m almost certain his comparison to the SX and the XC being more closely related is technically correct

23 minutes ago, bbde17 said:

You are partially correct The actual combustion chamber part is the same yes. By that I mean cylinder, piston, crank etc are the same yes. But the differences between the XC and the XC-W are not motor related per say. The XC-W has a different gearing in the transmission. Also the suspension is much softer than the XC. Also the XC-W has a pds rear shock so it mounts on top of the swing arm, it has no shock linkage like the XC and all motocross bikes. But as for the motor itself they are basically the same. If we are splitting hares I believe the head is a bit different between the xc and xc-w as well. So they are very close, but very different machines in their own ways. So I’m almost certain his comparison to the SX and the XC being more closely related is technically correct

Why are you telling me all this? 

I know it. :lol:

Edited by KTMfinrider

Why are you telling me all this? 

I know it. :lol:

Why? Because in one of your previous statements you told the other poster he was wrong when he said the SX AND XC were close. I assumed you may of had your facts mistaken. But obviously you do know the difference between them. Was just clarifying incase

Xc and XCW heads are different parts as well.

Since about 11 the basic package of the XC has drifted very close to the SX. So much so it's the same owners manual, the XC-W is a different story, and a lower compression head.

I understand that splitting hairs is essentially what we do on Internet forums, and there are valid differences among the various KTM 2-strokes. But having said that, I have owned various EXC's (2t), XC's, and XC-W's and I would argue that in a macro sense they are all more similar than different. But a 4-stroke is truly a horse of a different colour. My time on modern 4t dirtbikes is limited, but I have rode WR's, a 450SX, and my daughter has a 250SX-F that I've spent some time on and it's my opinion that riding a 4-stroke aggressively is always more work (and thus more fatiguing) than a comparable 2-stroke. The actual weight, the perceived weight (as a function of rotational inertia), and the albatross of so much engine braking make them seem to require more effort to ride at race pace to me. Much more. Your results may be completely different, but I can't imagine trading a 2-stroke for a 4-stroke as a means of lowering fatigue and late-race fade. The best quick comparison I can come up with is trading your kayak for a 20' long 5' wide flat bottom row-boat to make paddling up-stream easier. You're mileage may vary...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 7thirtyseven said:

Since about 11 the basic package of the XC has drifted very close to the SX. So much so it's the same owners manual, the XC-W is a different story, and a lower compression head.

??? You are completely wrong on this.  The XC-W and XC both share the exact same cylinder head every year from 2012 through 2017, and to my knowledge have had the same most years that they have been in production. Here are the part numbers from KTM:

YEAR                       XC-W PART                        XC PART

2012                   54830306500                        54830306500

2013                   54830306500                        54830306500

2014                   54830306700                        54830306700

2015                   54830306700                        54830306700

2016                   54830306700                        54830306700

2017                   5563020600                         5563020600

Many other parts and set up are different, but the engine and head ( not transmission) are identical.

Joe

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 7thirtyseven said:

i already told you I have ordered two 300 kits.  And the kit comes with cylinder head in box which says xc/exc. :lol:

Go ahead and check ktm spare parts finder and exc and xc models cylinderhead shares shame code for it. :banghead:

for example 2014 exc and xc:

Edited by KTMfinrider

Get a 150xc or 150 xcw. 

Don't get a four stroke, they're heavy, not fun, and don't ride a gear high any better than a 2 stroke does, in fact I'd argue they do it worse. 

That, and get your fitness in order, you can't expect to not be fatigued 3 hours into a race if you aren't putting the time in the gym and kitchen. It makes all the difference in the world. I race DH mountain bikes and 4 or 5 practice runs into the day I used to be beat. My bike only weighs 35lbs, not 200+. Decided to put the time into the gym and on long distance XC mountain bike rides, I can now ride all day long with out tiring. 

Sure, a less powerful bike will help, but I'd argue you'll be just as good off to keep your bike and start upping your fitness game. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

??? You are completely wrong on this.  The XC-W and XC both share the exact same cylinder head every year from 2012 through 2017, and to my knowledge have had the same most years that they have been in production. Here are the part numbers from KTM:

YEAR                       XC-W PART                        XC PART

2012                   54830306500                        54830306500

2013                   54830306500                        54830306500

2014                   54830306700                        54830306700

2015                   54830306700                        54830306700

2016                   54830306700                        54830306700

2017                   5563020600                         5563020600

Many other parts and set up are different, but the engine and head ( not transmission) are identical.

Joe

Well, shit. Gonna have to rewind my source of info.

• Like 2