Sign in to follow this  

Greased my rear linkage, so much easier than I thought it would be

For all the bikes I have ever had, because I got them used, and because I was very ignorant and lazy back in the day, I had never took apart the rear linkage to grease anything.  I did have a 96 CR500R that the previous owner had drilled and installed zerk fittings in all the knuckles and in the steering head so that was a nice touch, but otherwise, I just rode my bikes and put them away wet.  

Not this Beta though.  I want to keep it nice and this afternoon, I took the rear linkage apart, greased all the roller bearings and put it all back together.  I think it might have taken me all of 30-45 minutes and it was super easy.  As the bike only has about 95 hours and 1,900 miles or so, all the 17mm nuts came off pretty easily and the bolts slid out with no problem too.  I was happy to find that all the roller bearings, the two sets in the rocker and the set in the long leg in the frame were all still pretty well greased.  I cleaned up all the collars and bolts, ran a rag through all the links, slathered on some marine waterproof grease on the non-captured roller bearings, put it all back together and I now know I'll be good for another 100+ hours.  

As I'm close to buying a Camso DTS 129 snowbike kit, knowing I can get the linkage off is good as it will make installing the snowbike kit that much easier.  

The only thing I really need to read up on is how to check and adjust the valves as I'm coming up on 100 hours.  

....and you used high-temp water proof grease, right ?

Why would he use high temp? It's not necessary, and has no benefit on the linkage. Any decent grease will have a heat rating FAR higher than the linkage ever gets.

As long as it's a good waterproof grease, he's golden.

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

Why would he use high temp? It's not necessary, and has no benefit on the linkage. Any decent grease will have a heat rating FAR higher than the linkage ever gets.

As long as it's a good waterproof grease, he's golden.

What, you don't get your linkage up to 271 degrees ??  You need to ride faster....