Dirt Rider test 2018 Beta 430 RR-S

Liked it as a stock bike for rough slow trails :( Felt it has potential  for being upgraded to a race worthy bike.

Cons; They found plenty

Weight; although it is good for a dual sport.

Soft Suspension; never heard that before (sarcasm)

Weak Power; they didn't race it against anything and I'm guessing it's not slow

No Kickstarter; they drained the battery with repeated stops

Tucks the front on fast flat turns; never heard that either (sarcasm)

Stock tires; they are used to better

Seat low; I thought that should be a plus

Pros: They were scarce

Street legal; of course

Great for tight rocky steep trails; because that is how the stock setup is

Nimble handling; we've heard this before

Quiet; I'd like to see other things be a pro

Usable sneaky fast power; unfortunately interpreted as slow

https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-beta-430-rr-s-first-ride-review#page-4

 

 

 

2018-beta-43044.jpg

Sorry, I can't trust mags anymore.  How can I really gauge a true off road bike from a flat brim hat, white Oakley's, bedazzled jeans wearin', lifted Tacoma drivin', desert rat/moto livin', SoCal bro! 

Sorry,  couldn't help it, just that those guys are terrible at reviewing woods oriented bikes and, in speaking 1st hand with an industry insiders, those mags receive "incentives" from certain manufacturers, so certain bikes get preferential reviews,  cough, cough, orange

 

sweet bike bro, where'd you get those sick graphics! 

Edited by firffighter
13 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Sorry, I can't trust mags anymore.  How can I really gauge a true off road bike from a flat brim hat, white Oakley's, bedazzled jeans wearin', lifted Tacoma drivin', desert rat/moto livin', SoCal bro! 

Sorry,  couldn't help it, just that those guys are terrible at reviewing woods oriented bikes and, in speaking 1st hand with an industry insiders, those mags receive "incentives" from certain manufacturers, so certain bikes get preferential reviews,  cough, cough, orange

 

sweet bike bro, where'd you get those sick graphics! 

You'll see I just posted the 300 also, and after reading both test I will give these guy's more credit than I have in the past, they seem improved. I'd say they really did a decent job of picking the weak points. Proper setup can fix most of the flaws, and Beta might think about that in the future.

 Both bikes are scheduled apparently for long term and comparison testing, and the magazine should have a more in depth writeup. There is a video also.

 

1 minute ago, Johnny Depp said:

You'll see I just posted the 300 also, and after reading both test I will give these guy's more credit than I have in the past, they seem improved. I'd say they really did a decent job of picking the weak points. Proper setup can fix most of the flaws, and Beta might think about that in the future.

 Both bikes are scheduled apparently for long term and comparison testing, and the magazine should have a more in depth writeup. There is a video also.

 

Yeah, my comments are more tongue in cheek, but I'll check out their reviews. 

I do like Jimmy Lewis reviews and Chilly White who is now on Bike Bandit writing reviews again! 

I've actually been following the reviews from Australia and Europe as they seem more in tune with woods type riding for their reviews.  

Traction E-rag is also excellent and those Canucks are solid woods boys. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Liked it as a stock bike for rough slow trails :( Felt it has potential  for being upgraded to a race worthy bike.

Cons; They found plenty

Weight; although it is good for a dual sport. DISAGREE

Soft Suspension; never heard that before (sarcasm) AGREED

Weak Power; AGREED they didn't race it against anything and I'm guessing it's not slow 

No Kickstarter; WHO CARES they drained the battery with repeated stops

Tucks the front on fast flat turns; DISAGREE, BUT DR IS KNOWN FOR NOT SETTING UP THE BIKES THEY TEST..... never heard that either (sarcasm)

Stock tires; AGREE they are used to better

Seat low; AGREE, IT'S WAY TOO LOW  I thought that should be a plus

Pros: They were scarce

Street legal; of course

Great for tight rocky steep trails; because that is how the stock setup is

Nimble handling; we've heard this before WHAT DOES 'NIMBLE' MEAN. TYPICAL TERRIBLE REVIEWER COMMENT

Quiet; I'd like to see other things be a pro

Usable sneaky fast power; unfortunately interpreted as slow  IT IS SLOW, COMPARED TO MOST 450'S

https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-beta-430-rr-s-first-ride-review#page-4

 

 

 

2018-beta-43044.jpg

 

I haven't ridden the 430 but do have several hours on my '18 350rr-s. 

For it's size, I feel the 350 is a pretty quick bike. Good low-end power, yet revs out fairly well.

Feels lightweight.

Handling is good, although the stock front tire is terrible and lacks grip. I think there complaints about tucking the front is mostly tied to the tire.

The shock settings are a lot better than what came on my '15 300 when new. The Sachs shock used to be wayyyy to soft, now not so bad.

The forks...they are too digressive. Very harsh in the rocks and square-edge obstacles, but bottom easily on bigger hit. According to the spring chart I'm on the upper end of the stock springs, but I feel it's mostly a valving issue. I'm not going to put much effort into the stock forks as I've had a set of CC Sachs that I put on this bike.

I like the ergo's, feels like my 300, which I'm very comfortable on. I'm 6'1" and have no issue with the seat being to low. 

Hmm, I wonder who is filling Dirt Riders coffers

1 hour ago, gaortiz said:

Hmm, I wonder who is filling Dirt Riders coffers

No kidding, many companies with much deeper pockets than Beta.

IMHO, I believe about 10-15% what they say in general about some brands, and many accessories....

I gotta defend the mag guys a little. I know a lot of them. While they might be flat bill, sparkly jean wearing SoCal bros-LOL, they 100% DO NOT go off advertising or anything else for their opinions. Right or totally wrong it is their true opinion. Whether or not they know what they are talking about is up to the reader. 

Yeah, to say that the magazines are driven by payola is just naive.  You can't run a business that way.

I read that review and to me it is SPOT ON to how the 430 peforms out of the box. 

A lot of you guys are coming from old bikes or DS bikes or just plain have limited riding experience, so your opinions are waaaay more skewed than a professional testing group would be.

Until you have owned a dozen different (and current) properly set up off road bikes, how can you possibly have point of comparison that is more relevant than DBM ?

 

2 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

Yeah, to say that the magazines are driven by payola is just naive.  You can't run a business that way.

I read that review and to me it is SPOT ON to how the 430 peforms out of the box. 

A lot of you guys are coming from old bikes or DS bikes or just plain have limited riding experience, so your opinions are waaaay more skewed than a professional testing group would be.

Until you have owned a dozen different (and current) properly set up off road bikes, how can you possibly have point of comparison that is more relevant than DBM ?

 

 

 Chilly White example. He was testing a lot of bikes independently a few years and his website and YouTube channel were very popular. He was/is a true bike reviewer with tons of successful racing/riding, including ISDE, Romaniacs, etc.  KTM was providing him a steady diet of bikes and he was always complementary of the orange bikes and had many in his touring fleet. 

Chilly also tested GasGas and began to test Betas. He was always a GasGas guy and he really loved the early Betas.  As he started to branch out a bit more with his reviews outside KTM, they basically gave him an ultimatum and told him that he would no longer receive KTM's if he continued to give reviews of the competition.  He was forced to step out of the independent  bike reviews because he could not afford to continually purchase his own new bikes. 

 

 
 Chilly White example. He was testing a lot of bikes independently a few years and his website and YouTube channel were very popular. He was/is a true bike reviewer with tons of successful racing/riding, including ISDE, Romaniacs, etc.  KTM was providing him a steady diet of bikes and he was always complementary of the orange bikes and had many in his touring fleet. 
Chilly also tested GasGas and began to test Betas. He was always a GasGas guy and he really loved the early Betas.  As he started to branch out a bit more with his reviews outside KTM, they basically gave him an ultimatum and told him that he would no longer receive KTM's if he continued to give reviews of the competition.  He was forced to step out of the independent  bike reviews because he could not afford to continually purchase his own new bikes. 
 

I think ktm has bought and paid for the mags. Never read about jetting problems or any other problems with the orange bike that real riders know exist. Mxa has a full lip lock on ktms right nut. Dirt rider has been the only one recently ive seen to give a honest review.
19 minutes ago, firffighter said:

 

 Chilly White example. He was testing a lot of bikes independently a few years and his website and YouTube channel were very popular. He was/is a true bike reviewer with tons of successful racing/riding, including ISDE, Romaniacs, etc.  KTM was providing him a steady diet of bikes and he was always complementary of the orange bikes and had many in his touring fleet. 

Chilly also tested GasGas and began to test Betas. He was always a GasGas guy and he really loved the early Betas.  As he started to branch out a bit more with his reviews outside KTM, they basically gave him an ultimatum and told him that he would no longer receive KTM's if he continued to give reviews of the competition.  He was forced to step out of the independent  bike reviews because he could not afford to continually purchase his own new bikes. 

 

Right. Everyone knows that CW is a brand lackey. He is not a magzine or publisher. Just a paid enthusiest. 

Read Dirt Bike Rider and Jimmy Lewis for very unbiased reviews, along with http://www.crosstrainingenduro.com for real riding reviews you can trust. Probably the only two you can.

MXA is agressively negative towards everything that is not like a KTM. It's downright obvious. Are they paid money to act this way? Probably not. The Editor is just a Napoleonic complex Dick...

DirtBike Mag leans toward KTM, and subtley downplays all it's faults, while up-playing everyone elses....but the Editors ride and own many brands. Face it, if you could have a new KTM or Husky set up to your specs every year, why would you not like their bikes?! 

DirtRider is mostly just pathetic. The reviewing criteria is never stated, the goals for the bikes performance is never reviewed, and they don't really tell much about anything. 'The suspension is soft' sounds like a newbie posting here in TT. Useless information!

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now