Dirt Rider test 2018 Beta 300 RR

Overall, a much improved machine. They look forward to putting head to head against the competition and continuing to test further.

https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-beta-300-rr-first-ride-review#page-8

Cons;

Twitchy at speed; not something we normally hear, setup?

Tires; no surprise on the West Coast

Stiff Suspension; that's a new one too, they know it takes time to break in and they prefer this over soft

Front end tuck on higher speed flat corners; it has always been there, setup?

Pros;

Light feeling improved handling; the changes paying off

Can take flat landings without bottoming; finally!

Great shifting; the changes paying off

Shock less bouncy; who knows what they did? good news

More meat/grunt power, linear power; the changes paying off

oil injection; more options on fueling

These guys seem to have done a good job testing the bike for the limited time they've had it so far. Kinda surprising. They are trying to love it, but are still at like right now. I hope they can go the right direction on setup and bring out the best in the bike.

2018-beta-300rr-bike-ride.jpg

Those tires for the US market are ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

+1 I forgot how bad the Michelin Enduro comp tires were until I road my new 350 today. Washed the front out a few times on corners that I normally rail with my Goldentyre-shod 300.

Thanks for posting this!

On 11/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, YHGEORGE said:

Those tires suck.........its because they are FIM spec tires and are designed to be "more trail friendly". All of the Americans that go over for ISDE have to ride a couple weeks on them just to get use to the LACK of traction. You can't blast out of corners because you just sit and spin. Basically take a nice set of tires, now cut your knobs down 2/3'rds and you have FIM spec. Also when I got my 2018 300, the tires were at 40 PSI when I first went to ride. Silly me for not checking, almost jarred my teeth out on the roots.

I ripped them off and went M59 front and a VE33 110 rear. Couldn't be happier. Would love to try the 505 Cheater and 525X/Cheater from Shinko.

Thanks for posting this!

Are you getting ready to buy one ?!.  

On 11/4/2017 at 11:33 AM, Johnny Depp said:

Overall, a much improved machine. They look forward to putting head to head against the competition and continuing to test further.

https://www.dirtrider.com/2018-beta-300-rr-first-ride-review#page-8

Cons;

Twitchy at speed; not something we normally hear, setup?

Tires; no surprise on the West Coast

Stiff Suspension; that's a new one too, they know it takes time to break in and they prefer this over soft

Front end tuck on higher speed flat corners; it has always been there, setup?

Pros;

Light feeling improved handling; the changes paying off

Can take flat landings without bottoming; finally!

Great shifting; the changes paying off

Shock less bouncy; who knows what they did? good news

More meat/grunt power, linear power; the changes paying off

oil injection; more options on fueling

These guys seem to have done a good job testing the bike for the limited time they've had it so far. Kinda surprising. They are trying to love it, but are still at like right now. I hope they can go the right direction on setup and bring out the best in the bike.

2018-beta-300rr-bike-ride.jpg

Their what’s not list is retarded. It makes no sense. It’s stupid except for the tires. Isn’t the price cheaper than other bikes in its class? The seat height is lowest too so that should be in the whats hot list as well. No mention of warranty?.. Weight isn’t high...again shouldn’t be in the whats not category. It’s like they feel they have to put something negative even if it isn’t?:lame:

I think the best thing about this test is that they have some exposure for Beta. The shitty thing is they are wrong or leaving some information out on some of their assessment. It’s stupid too. Like why isnt the 6 month and year warranty mentioned for Betas in tests? That’s simple and common sense and would make a big difference to mention especially since other brands dont have it. Why aren’t there comparisons of what comes stock with Beta with what comes stock with other brands? Beta comes with more and they’re cheaper. Are they not getting the info from Beta? Maybe Beta isn’t supplying more info? Idk. It seems to me that a magazine should just think like a buyer shopping for a bike in the class. I mean it’s sort of simple. I go to a yamaha, husky, ktm, honda ,gasgas, sherco, TM dealer and compare what comes with the bike and what doesn’t and the price.

Is the BYOB program mentioned or explained? No other brand has that.:excuseme:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
On 11/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, YHGEORGE said:

Same as ktm and husky though right? FIM stuff. Can chage if going byob with Beta if one likes.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
6 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Same as ktm and husky though right? FIM stuff. Can chage if going byob with Beta if one likes.

I know the KTM XC's were coming with AT81's. Not sure on the XCW's

40 minutes ago, NEGbrap said:

My EXC came with Metzler 6 Day Extreme.

Interestingly,  so did my WR250.

Also, no mention was made attributing at least a part of the 10lb weight loss to the Li battery and the elimination of the kick start.

2 hours ago, Chas_M said:

Also, no mention was made attributing at least a part of the 10lb weight loss to the Li battery and the elimination of the kick start.

It’s because they slapped together the test fast..It is just more half assed but that is the norm in the latest  merican mags these days.

12 hours ago, NEGbrap said:

At81 tires suck too.  Well Even with Beta.. Maybe I should say stock tires are ok. They are ok. The thing is a change of tires makes such a huge improvement.

Seriously, what is up with some of the things on that "whats not" list? Are they afraid the Beta looks to good so they have to make some of their good points look bad.

43 minutes ago, Baxter67 said:

Seriously, what is up with some of the things on that "whats not" list? Are they afraid the Beta looks to good so they have to make some of their good points look bad.

It’s &%$#@!ing retarded huh.. It makes them look stupid to me. It’s sad as it is how far down the magazines have gone . It’s like they don’t have common sense.

It’s &%$#@!ing retarded huh.. It makes them look stupid to me. It’s sad as it is how far down the magazines have gone . It’s like they don’t have common sense.

Here I sit, thinking of my riding history and perspective... 49 years old today. Been riding Honda and Yamaha since 1983. I rolled the dice and bought the 2017 “Race” 300 last feb. was nervous on my way to the first ride, like.. shoot I hope I didn’t make a mistake buying Beta. From the very first ride the bike continues to impress me. It makes me a better rider. It’s balanced. Where my CR250R had a limit, or I had a limit on it. No, I’m no McGrath.. ever since I’ve had the Beta. I’m amazed that these things aren’t more highly rated by everyone. People stare at it, when they ride it they are like wow! I’m like.. yeah exactly. It’s like BETA can’t quite break into the club of dirt bike respect. I even wrote to Beta and said their marketing needs to improve. I wasn’t aware of Beta until I went to buy a KTM or Husky. Then I saw Beta and did some homework.
I feel the bikes are amazing. The lack of respect annoys me. Just like the rest of my Beta friends. I guess I need to get used to it.. like the “dirtbike channel guy” I just shrug it off... knowing I have a great bike and us Beta lovers know what we have. It’s just gonna take a little longer for the respect to come.
1 hour ago, Unstoppable120s said:

Here I sit, thinking of my riding history and perspective... 49 years old today. Been riding Honda and Yamaha since 1983. I rolled the dice and bought the 2017 “Race” 300 last feb. was nervous on my way to the first ride, like.. shoot I hope I didn’t make a mistake buying Beta. From the very first ride the bike continues to impress me. It makes me a better rider. It’s balanced. Where my CR250R had a limit, or I had a limit on it. No, I’m no McGrath.. ever since I’ve had the Beta. I’m amazed that these things aren’t more highly rated by everyone. People stare at it, when they ride it they are like wow! I’m like.. yeah exactly. It’s like BETA can’t quite break into the club of dirt bike respect. I even wrote to Beta and said their marketing needs to improve. I wasn’t aware of Beta until I went to buy a KTM or Husky. Then I saw Beta and did some homework.
I feel the bikes are amazing. The lack of respect annoys me. Just like the rest of my Beta friends. I guess I need to get used to it.. like the “dirtbike channel guy” I just shrug it off... knowing I have a great bike and us Beta lovers know what we have. It’s just gonna take a little longer for the respect to come.

That’s the thing too. You are also coming from a cr honda 250. That’s arguably the best handling 2 stroke motorcle even though they stopped making them 10 years ago. Hondas handle. Betas are right there with handling. It’s funny too that low seat height for an enduro bike should be in the whats hot category. To me that means that these guys don’t ride enduro. They must ride mx or some other wide open stuff. Or they are just clueless. I’m not sure .

To me go back to Jimmy lewis and dirt bike tests. I may or may not agree but overall he straight up knows his stuff.

I take these reviews with a grain of salt because if it's not a KTM then Dirt Rider won't like it off road. They are judging everything based on zero modifications and poor setup.  They are basically comparing bikes straight off the showroom floor without adjustment or modifications.

1. Who cares if people respect the motorcycle you are on?

2. If it matters, start racing. The stopwatch doesn't lie.

3. Magazine tests are almost always shit for any product.

8 minutes ago, Knotcher said:

1. Who cares if people respect the motorcycle you are on?

2. If it matters, start racing. The stopwatch doesn't lie.

3. Magazine tests are almost always shit for any product.

It's not the respect part for me. It's what's correct and what isn't. You are right magazine tests are shit a lot of the times but for the consumer looking to buy and learn it's just part of the process to figure out what to buy. Starting to race isn't the issue. It's the process before in picking the bike way before the chance to race..but yea.. Racing is great and fun.. and the stopwatch does help.. but it's way late and after a bike has been bought. I agree with you though.