2005 vs 2006 Any major differences?

Looking at selling my 2006 yz250f and getting a 2 stroke. Ive never ridden any 2 strokes besides "around the yard" but i want to give it a try and make it my main trail bike. Finding a 2006 yz250 is nearly impossible in my state unless its 4-6 hours away which isnt happening. I have seen TONS of 2005 yz250s though that are in good shape, etc. My question is what are the differences besides the SSS forks, should i consider in making my decision? I know from 05 to 14 the yz250 barely changed so most of the parts are interchangeable.... is the 05 any more reliable than the 06?

My goal is to make it a single track bike basically to lug through tight stuff and it be a good GNCC/Hare-scramble race bike.

Thanks...

Get the 2006+

SSS suspension most important difference. Triple trees second, much more aftermarket TTs and handlebar options. Other than that virtually everything else is the same.

I paid $2100 for my 2005, so adding SSS forks and shock still made it a pretty good deal. So if you have to decide between a low price clean 2005 vs. a hard to get, expensive 2006, the 05 can be a great choice.

From an old press release:

* Speed sensitive system, 48mm Kayaba fork tubes move the TCV (transfer control valves) above the fork springs, so that damping force is now controlled by piston speed. Along with a bigger base valve hole, the result is a smooth ride and super-precise handling.

* A thicker rear shock rod, a super-light titanium shock spring, reduced-friction Kashima coating of internals and a revised swingarm all work together for fantastic rear wheel control and a sweet ride.

* Increased fork pitch, also gives great handling.

* Carburetion revisions and a new exhaust pipe meet FIM requirements and produce arm-stretching, broadband power.

* Light and strong Renthal aluminum handlebar in new clamps with 10mm of adjustability.

* Aggressive new front fender and front number plate up the style factor.

* Tapered rear wheel spacers ease sliding the rear wheel into place, for quicker tire changes.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 1

Get the 2006+
SSS suspension most important difference. Triple trees second, much more aftermarket TTs and handlebar options. Other than that virtually everything else is the same.
I paid $2100 for my 2005, so adding SSS forks and shock still made it a pretty good deal. So if you have to decide between a low price clean 2005 vs. a hard to get, expensive 2006, the 05 can be a great choice.

Thats my issue. Ive only seen about 3 2006s in which they want 3500+ for which is insane. Ive found a bunch of really clean 2005s for 2500 and under. Im asking 2600 for my 250f right now. So the reason i asked my question, is it worth getting the 05 since it will be a trail race bike?

Thats my issue. Ive only seen about 3 2006s in which they want 3500+ for which is insane. Ive found a bunch of really clean 2005s for 2500 and under. Im asking 2600 for my 250f right now. So the reason i asked my question, is it worth getting the 05 since it will be a trail race bike?

Also with the 2005, say i wanted to do the restyle kit upgrade in the future, i have to modify the front fender and plate. But i think the shrouds and back fender/plates line up perfect correct?

Definitely worth it. You can get the 2005 forks revalved for woods and they are actually very good. You'd do that anyway on a 2006+ with SSS suspention.

My 2005 as purchased:

YZ250 Clean.jpg

Edited by LSHD

Definitely worth is. You can actually get the 2005 forks revalved for woods and they are very good. You'd do that anyway on a 2006+.
My 2005 as purchased:
post-381613-0-38018500-1477417509.jpg

Damn that is clean. And the 1st thing i do to my bikes is get the suspension done for my weight. The local shop my bikes get done at, does suspension specifically setup for woods racing. Thy do suspension work for the pros of nchsa and mideast and maybe gncc here and there.
  • Like 1

For my size and weight the SSS suspension would have to be revalved and resprung.

That was about $550 on my 05 YZ250. The SSS suspension would cost more than that.

BTW, my 05 Works awesome!

2005 <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4471/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4471' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>Yamaha</a> YZ250.jpg

• Like 1

The real truth on the 05 vs 06 forks is that BOTH need to be revalved.  The faster a rider rides the more he'll appreciate the 05 forks. The TCV that everyone seemed to blame years ago wasn't the problem. It actually become a benefit. A number of aftermarket suspension companies used to sell what was called National spring tubes which were similar in design. Let you pocketbook be your guide. Buy the bike that is in the best shape regardless of which year it is.

• Like 1

I'm just going to throw this out. 

Going to make it a woods bike? Get the 04 then, steel frame, 48mm forks (going to have to re-valve and set it up for you anyway).

Now, look at whats available. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

Going to make it a woods bike? Get the 04 then, steel frame, 48mm forks (going to have to re-valve and set it up for you anyway).

If you can find one of these in good shape you can't go wrong with these especially those riders that trail ride and then get on a track once in a while. The forks on these bikes respond extremely well to the use of sub tanks that will give you a wide range of adjustablity externally.  Even without the sub tanks they can be set up to work very well off road. In fact, they are my favorite fork for the desert. The problem is finding one.

• Like 1

Theres a shit ton of 04s but my main turn away from it is the steel frame. After riding my aluminum framed yzf and then riding my friends steel framed 05 yzf its a days difference lighter when picking it up after a nasty wreck on a steep hill.

Just now, RidingWithStyle said:

Theres a shit ton of 04s but my main turn away from it is the steel frame. After riding my aluminum framed yzf and then riding my friends steel framed 05 yzf its a days difference lighter when picking it up after a nasty wreck on a steep hill.

There is less than 3bs difference between the steel and the Aluminum.  Not only that, but a frame that flexes is better for off road. Specs. 213.8 steel and 211.6 Aluminum These are not 4 stroke pigs.

But really, you pick what you want, not what I ride. 

I sold my personal 05 faster than any bike I have ever owned, even after a trip to Enzo, just way to stiff.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Also with the 2005, say i wanted to do the restyle kit upgrade in the future, i have to modify the front fender and plate. But i think the shrouds and back fender/plates line up perfect correct?

Everything lines up back to 02

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 6:46 PM, RidingWithStyle said:

I sold my decked out for off-road 2008 (18" wheel, big tank, pipes, ported engine, revalved suspension, 3 seats, FWW, new Cycras) for $2800...Just gotta enlarge your search area. Of just buy a Sherco 250/300 :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

Really, What and why, the SSS? 

Yup, everyone thinks it is superior, which is kinda true imo, but they both need revalves.

I have an 05 and I don't like the feel of the AOSS, harsh and the 05 has an awkward setup for the front end with the triples being a one off for the year. For the price, you mind as well pick up a set of SSS and start from there; at least you'd know it's the best you could get imo.

There were a bunch of little differences between the '05 & '06 bikes;

- Triple clamp had removable/adjustable bar mounts (though still 7/8").

- Different swingarm and wishbone link

- Different front fender, number plate, and brakeline

- Big reservoir shock body (in gold!)

There's probably more (like the SSS forks & wider triple clamps already mentioned), but it shows Yamaha was still fine-tuning the YZs.