Honda Crf450R 2008

So there are an Honda CRF450R 2008

With only 35hour on it. No problems and looks good on the pictures.

The price is 2370 usd.

Do you guys think it’s worth the price?

Worth the money but I don't know if I buy 35 hours.  Hard to tell though.  Clutch cover wear looks like maybe more but ignition cover supports those hours.  My brother was one who was really rough on clutch covers so who knows!?

Regardless, it has tons of potential and I'd pay that for it but those stickers would be off before it rode in the back of my truck....lol J/K (sort of).

Worth the money but I don't know if I buy 35 hours.  Hard to tell though.  Clutch cover wear looks like maybe more but ignition cover supports those hours.  My brother was one who was really rough on clutch covers so who knows!?
Regardless, it has tons of potential and I'd pay that for it but those stickers would be off before it rode in the back of my truck....lol J/K (sort of).

Haha agree about those stickers I would like to have mine stock ^^, I was also thinking the same about the clutch cover. I’m about to check it out on Monday I guess, and then I’ll see if there are some hidden issues ;) I think if the chain sliders look like stock and are in fine condition and the clutch have good pull maybe there are some chances it’s only 35 hours. But if I bought it I won’t think it drops much more in value if I’m about to sell it later?

Check things like up/down play in the levers, play in the footgegs, shifter and kickstarter as well.  Anything that would indicate high hours and let that dictate your offer.

Shoot you put a set of Polisport plastic* with FX OEM shroud decals including a new Polisport front plate, FMF Powerbomb head pipe, Hinson clutch cover, black airbox mudflap, black fork guards, stock levers, Renthal grips and do some other stuff to clean it up (maybe? get rid of all those stickers ;)) and you'll have no problem getting all your money back on down the road.

* Polisport has the best color match IMO and the front plate is exactly like OEM (no zip ties needed).  I know, I have one on my '06 (see pic) project bike.

IMG_3757.JPG

• Like 2

I'm always suspicious of "older" bikes with claimed low hours. A couple things that caught my eye...they may be nothing or they may be an indication of deception and would certainly have me questioning why. The 08's originally had white fork guards, not red. Not many folks replace just the fork guards. So does it have new plastics and if so, why at 35 hrs? As HRC27 mentioned, that clutch cover screams of over 35 hrs. The owner clearly likes stickers (not a bad thing) but the HotCams one would have me thinking. Does it have a cam in it or have the valves been shimmed? A 35 hr bike would not need the valves shimmed. Maybe it was just a sticker he had sitting around and decided to throw it on. Either way that sticker came with a cam, shim kit or cam chain. I check the following areas on bikes that I buy used. Foot pegs...are they worn to nubs? Triple clamp stops....are they hammered. Does the mud flap have excessive wear from the chain? Yeah it could have been replaced but the yellowing indicates age. Pop the seat off (if the owner will let you) and check for the inevitable wear the sub frame takes from the plastics rubbing. Current owner appears to like aftermarket goodies. Check the front drive sprocket....people seem to neglect these. Again, the chain slider, guide and rollers can be replaced but I always like to check them over. Especially if they appear to be OEM parts vs the theme of aftermarket parts.

In any event the 08 was an awesome bike. Everything on a bike can be replaced or rebuilt and if you like the bike and it seems to be in good shape....get it.

• Like 2

Only one comment on the above I'd tweek. Yellowed "natural" plastic as Honda calls it does show age but does not say anything about hours.

Some of the bits have yellowed on my brother's '12 CRF250X. It has .2 hours on it. :thumbsup:

HRC27.....agreed. I worded it wrong. I wanted to get across that perhaps the mud flap hadn't been replaced and if there is minimal chain slap wear on it, it would be a good sign. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mxr73 said:

HRC27.....agreed. I worded it wrong. I wanted to get across that perhaps the mud flap hadn't been replaced and if there is minimal chain slap wear on it, it would be a good sign. Thanks for the clarification.

Nah bro, you worded it right.  It does show age.  I hate the natural stuff and get as much as possible of it off my bikes.   Brake guides and engine guards is all that's left.  Anyone know what bike has those bits that will fit on a '06? ;)

EDIT:  Shoot, already bought new '06 engine guards. Should have bought '08 LE like my radiator louvers. :facepalm: Oh well, when these yellow, and they will yellow, I know what to get.  Any black OEM brake guides out there?

2008-Honda-CRF450Ra.jpg

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

I paid 3000 for my 08, but it had some goodies on it (Hinson Complete Clutch, Yoshi full exhaust, suspension done.. blah,..blah) 

I never see any 450's going for less that 2500 around here, so  IMO that's a good price.

HRC - I LOVE the Black edition of the 450R! - I thought about doing mine up like that :shocked:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WERNER1 said:

I paid 3000 for my 08, but it had some goodies on it (Hinson Complete Clutch, Yoshi full exhaust, suspension done.. blah,..blah) 

I never see any 450's going for less that 2500 around here, so  IMO that's a good price.

HRC - I LOVE the Black edition of the 450R! - I thought about doing mine up like that :shocked:

Yeah, that's hot looking.  

Okay, so the bike is in My garage now, it seems to have some more hours than. 35 but not to much over. The hot cam stickers you’ve seen are only graphic kit that has them included so non motor work done, tested it out and that engine pulls a lot so it can be fun to see how it handles on track

Got it for 1900usd

• Like 1

So I took it apart tonight to clean it a bit more and changed the plastics, it looks a bit better now I guess. I’m having a slight thicking noise espicelly noticed on right side of engine. Will check the valves someday. Changed oil and nothing worth mentioned about that :)IMG_4486.jpg

• Like 1

I`d say , yes more then 35 hours on it , but it doesn't look beat up. The foot pegs wear looks like they are more wear on them than my 02 ? Have fun with it , looks good know !

Looks good man.  Get out the hair dryer and those # plate backgrounds and airbox graphics will come off no problem.  I always think black backgrounds look funny on a 450. I think of black as being for the smaller bikes (125 or 250).  The ex-MX racer in me I guess.

Gotta say those gas cap vents look pretty good but not as practical as the stock hose on a track. With the hose, just let the gas cap hang off the side of the tank when refilling versus a cap/vent that can find it's way in the dirt.

Regardless, looks much better already. :thumbsup:

Looks good man.  Get out the hair dryer and those # plate backgrounds and airbox graphics will come off no problem.  I always think black backgrounds look funny on a 450. I think of black as being for the smaller bikes (125 or 250).  The ex-MX racer in me I guess.
Gotta say those gas cap vents look pretty good but not as practical as the stock hose on a track. With the hose, just let the gas cap hang off the side of the tank when refilling versus a cap/vent that can find it's way in the dirt.
Regardless, looks much better already. :thumbsup:

Yes I just left the side plate graphics on to protect the plastic xD I can tell you those graphic was garbage you won’t even need a hairdryer cause the came off, just by looking at them haha ;)