LESS THAN 24 HOURS LEFT TO GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×

Trying to find a specific house near Randsburg/Johannesburg

Anyone ever been to a house somewhere around the Randsburg/Johannesburg area that had a natural steam pipe coming up from the middle of the floor?  I think we passed through Johannesburg on the way, but I may be remembering wrong.  The last time I was there was in the early 80's and I was just kind of wondering if anyone had information on it.  Back then, some old timer lived there and charged like 10 cents or a quarter to check it out.  It was literally just a pipe in the center of his dirt floor "living room".

The only other thing I remember is that it was in the literally in middle of nowhere.  Nothing but desert for miles around.

Thanks,

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike Vaughan said:

Anyone ever been to a house somewhere around the Randsburg/Johannesburg area that had a natural steam pipe coming up from the middle of the floor?  I think we passed through Johannesburg on the way, but I may be remembering wrong.  The last time I was there was in the early 80's and I was just kind of wondering if anyone had information on it.  Back then, some old timer lived there and charged like 10 cents or a quarter to check it out.  It was literally just a pipe in the center of his dirt floor "living room".

The only other thing I remember is that it was in the literally in middle of nowhere.  Nothing but desert for miles around.

Thanks,

Mike

We were also by that house during the 80's.. One of our guys broke down close to it and we talked with the guy and he showed us around..Can't remember right where it was but know it was on the east side of 395. Long time ago I  heard that the BLM had torn down the cabin so the slabs would still be there.  

Recently saw a post on Thumpertalk or  Facebook where a guy posted about exploring on the East side of 395 and came across a slab that had pipes caped off but still had some steam coming out of them.. Sounds like the location you are looking for.. I'll try to find the post if I can... I'd like to see the area again if possible.

Jack

• Like 2

Jack,

Thanks for the info on this and the link if you can find it.  I did a fair amount of searching but "steam house johannesburg ca, randsburg, steam pipe" etc. but search results are basically filled with home heating sites from Ridgecrest and Stovepipe Wells from Death Valley. I've been trying to see if I can get any more info from some other people who were there back then too, but most of the other guys are in their mid 70's now.

I don't remember a slab, at least where the pipe came out, but it's entirely possible.  The other thing I remember is the place having at least one wall that was made out of bottles, possibly next to the front door.  Any idea on the rough distance it might have been?  If I remember right we were a decent sized group riding KDX80/200's and KX250/500's so I can't imagine we could get terribly far as none had desert tanks but I have no idea what the range on them was.

If I get any more info, I will share it with you.  I'd like to make a pass by it again too. 

Thanks again!

Mike

• Like 1

Virgil Ramey. The 'Steam Man.'  Passed away in 1984.

It's not there anymore. It's referred to as Steam Wells.  The pipe is capped off.  Someone stole the original valve of course. The slab is still there where the structure used to be. 

You can thank, as always, the BLM for removing it. 

Here are the coordinates

35.3847, -117.5371

• Like 3

As that's too bad, I was really curious how well I remembered the place. I really appreciate the background info to go with the coordinates and name of the man.

Mike

• Like 2

Hmmm around 1971 in JR high.  We were out scouting a family enduro somewhere out there and  we ran across a guy (crusty old dirt rat) with one leg in an old tan car maybe a 62 Impala.  He took us to his shack.  There was a spring inside and he would bottle the water with old beer and pop bottles.  It smelled terrible, total Sulfur water.  He tried to get me to drink it but no way.  He said it helped is arthritis.  I wonder if that was him!!  I think about that from time to time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bnr said:

Hmmm around 1971 in JR high.  We were out scouting a family enduro somewhere out there and  we ran across a guy (crusty old dirt rat) with one leg in an old tan car maybe a 62 Impala.  He took us to his shack.  There was a spring inside and he would bottle the water with old beer and pop bottles.  It smelled terrible, total Sulfur water.  He tried to get me to drink it but no way.  He said it helped is arthritis.  I wonder if that was him!!  I think about that from time to time.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=9095984

Was this the guy?

• Like 1

Yes, That had to be him!.  I'm glad I got to meet him!.  15 or so years ago, my son and I meet the woman that took care of Burro Shmits Mine too!!!  Even signed the guest book before the vandals trashed the shack.  Snuck a bear at Charlie's Place when I was 14.   That is one area that has changed very little in 45+ years. 

• Like 2