My 2018 Beta 350 RR-S thread

I bought a new 350 RR-S recently, just thought I'd start a thread kinda detailing my thoughts of the bike and to keep track of the modifications I plan for it. I'm not new to Beta's, some may have seen my 300 on here:

59fe984eb9080_beta6-17.JPG.9ddcc6db24d0a9b712558ae29b73b840.JPG

First day home:

59fe984d1691b_new3501.JPG.1bfb9f25b6e4c64785a64316c3129fe4.JPG

59fe98382b38b_new3502.JPG.bee120ad896fadffd33208588fc84592.JPG

• Like 5

Was originally looking at getting the 430 or possibly the 500. All I was really after was a plated bike to replace my older Husky 450 and as a back-up bike to my 300. 

I wanted a "fun" powerband, so I was mostly looking at the 430. The 390 didn't really sound like my cup of the tea.

Anyway, one test ride on the 350 and I was sold...decent bottom end power, but with good over-rev. Reminded me of a 250f I used to own.

After getting it home, I stripped all the superfluous crap on it:

SAM_0127.JPG.979821ce71d3864534de0c447990bd1d.JPG 

• Like 4

Installed Cycra-probends, IMS 3.0 gallon tank, Bullet proof designs radiator guards, and some cheap Tusk turn signals. The turn signals cost $20 a pair, one set I attached to the inner fender, the other are meant to be attached to the Tusk handguard shields, but was able to cut a slot in the Cycra's.

SAM_0134.JPG

SAM_0133.JPG

SAM_0132.JPG

• Like 4

Between 2 rides, I've got over 5 hours on it now...a few of my thoughts:

I'm still impressed by the power and the fueling. It feels like a 250f on steriods...just a fun powerband. No flameouts and the couple times I stalled it was my own fault. 

The ergo's really aren't any different from my 300, so I'm stoked about that. The seat is too hard for a dual sport, but I have a stock-height soft seat and a ribbed Motoseat cover waiting to be put on. 

It's a good handling bike, just like my 300. While I can feel the few extra pounds compared to my 300, it's really not a big deal. The biggest let down is the stock front tire...don't know how much longer I can keep it on there. Definitely lacks grip on flat turns, I think any of the handling problems that DirtRider complained about on the '18's can probably be tied to this tire. It's going to get the Goldentyre 216 Fatty that I run on my other bikes.

On another positive note, the shock seems to have improved since 2015...my stock shock on my 300 was just too soft for anything more than slow trail riding. I ended up getting a Fox on the 300 that was much better even in with the delivered valving.

However, I'm not really stoked about the forks. The damping curve seems overly digressive. Very harsh in rocks and square-edge hits, but bottom easily in whoops and flat-landings. I'm not too concerned as I know a good tuner could get them to work well. Besides, my plan was never to even use the OC forks...I've had these sitting in my garage for awhile and finally have another bike to put them on:

SAM_0128.JPG.d574c5e30e55ae7362e4b1e16e21efc5.JPG

As the bike sits right now:

SAM_0131.JPG.6a1cb70bc467e24ae030b19c4681bfbd.JPG

• Like 5

Awesome! I'm constantly back and forth with keeping my 350. In the meantime it's on CL to see if someone will make a fair offer. Truth it a few friends are into ADV riding so I think my second bike will be a bigger ADV bike. If only I could justify the time and money to keep them all. 

That '18 is SWEET!

• Like 2

I'm with you on the stock Michelin DOT front tire.  It is not good at all other than in a straight line.  I waited, though (since I'm sort of cheap like that), before I replaced it as I let it get worn out with about 1,300 miles on it and now I have had no trouble in anything with a Pirelli Scorpion Pro DOT front and rear tire.  

Great review, keep them coming along with the pics. 

• Like 2

Great looking bike. I ride a 17 500 rrs. You’re dead right about the tires. It’s a whole different handling bike with better tires. Be sure to set you sag properly. That 350 should be damn near as nimble as your 300 rr. What’s the power band like compared to your 2T. 

Curious if you stripped all the signals, rear fender etc off why not just get the 350RR?

Or is just a Cali thing with plating a bike?

Been eyeing the 390RR to replace my KLX351

6 hours ago, Terry Roberts said:

Great looking bike. I ride a 17 500 rrs. You’re dead right about the tires. It’s a whole different handling bike with better tires. Be sure to set you sag properly. That 350 should be damn near as nimble as your 300 rr. What’s the power band like compared to your 2T. 

It's a good handling bike, it just the 300 has a 15lb advantage and suspension that's setup for me. As far as power, the overall power feels similar to the 300, but with some 4 stroke characteristics. The power is definetly more at home on more flowing terrain...the 300 is extremely smooth in the low to mid power and really shines on more technical trails. 

31 minutes ago, Iffykid said:

Curious if you stripped all the signals, rear fender etc off why not just get the 350RR?

Or is just a Cali thing with plating a bike?

Been eyeing the 390RR to replace my KLX351

I just removed the big clunky fender extension and replaced the large turn signals with some smaller Led's. Also got rid of the evap canister.

It's a Cali thing about having a factory plated bike. If I could plate any bike, I probably would've plated another 300 or just waited for a 350 race edition.

6 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

It's a good handling bike, it just the 300 has a 15lb advantage and suspension that's setup for me. As far as power, the overall power feels similar to the 300, but with some 4 stroke characteristics. The power is definetly more at home on more flowing terrain...the 300 is extremely smooth in the low to mid power and really shines on more technical trails. 

I just removed the big clunky fender extension and replaced the large turn signals with some smaller Led's. Also got rid of the evap canister.

It's a Cali thing about having a factory plated bike. If I could plate any bike, I probably would've plated another 300 or just waited for a 350 race edition.

MN is relatively easy to plate most anything I have my Beta XTrainer plated here, I have been debating the RR VS RR-S as a replacement for my KLX 250/BB351 for dual sport use and likely keep the XTrainer for more single track woods type riding.

Thanks

• Like 2

On 11/5/2017 at 0:04 AM, Sierra_rider said:

Installed Cycra-probends, IMS 3.0 gallon tank, Bullet proof designs radiator guards, and some cheap Tusk turn signals. The turn signals cost $20 a pair, one set I attached to the inner fender, the other are meant to be attached to the Tusk handguard shields, but was able to cut a slot in the Cycra's.

SAM_0134.JPG

SAM_0133.JPG

SAM_0132.JPG

I like the looks of those turn signals on the rear fender much less likely to be damaged in a get off, Which ones are they?

• Like 1

Great review so far!  The 350 seems like a blast.  Love my rs500, but thinking the 350 will be the next purchase.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

Tusk leds from Rocky mountain...cost about $20 for the pair.

Thanks

I poked around RMATV looking for them but didnt see them I will have to go back again now that I know what I am looking for.

I haven't done much to the 350 this week, the only thing I've done is add the Polisport swingarm guards. They'll probably leave little scuff marks after awhile, but that'll be better than the deep gouges like my 300 has...not rock bashing it will help as well. 

Polisport%20Beta%20Plastic%20Swingarm%20

Not the 350, but relevant...I installed the SKF wheel seal kit on my 300 as the stock spacers were trashed. Time will tell if it's better, but I already like the spacers better than the stock ones.

skf_radlagerkit1_1453798630.jpeg

• Like 3

Spent the better part of an hour trying to get the caliper bolts off...way over-torqued and smothered in Loctite to boot. 6-point and an air-impact ended up just rounding the heads off, resorted to hammering a smaller socket on and using a manual impact driver. Even my good vise-grips wouldn't touch 'em.

The reason for taking the caliper off was for my fork swap. Just taking a couple hot laps around my yard, I think these are going to be a definite improvement. Also threw the front wheel from my 300 on, just to have the fatty Golden Tyre for tomorrow's ride. 

SAM_0137.JPG.8ef98547c880cdaae1a9a3a448cf20aa.JPG

SAM_0138.JPG.19609f56bbbae122262cf53bc34915da.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

Spent the better part of an hour trying to get the caliper bolts off...way over-torqued and smothered in Loctite to boot. 6-point and an air-impact ended up just rounding the heads off, resorted to hammering a smaller socket on and using a manual impact driver. Even my good vise-grips wouldn't touch 'em.

The reason for taking the caliper off was for my fork swap. Just taking a couple hot laps around my yard, I think these are going to be a definite improvement. Also threw the front wheel from my 300 on, just to have the fatty Golden Tyre for tomorrow's ride. 

SAM_0137.JPG.8ef98547c880cdaae1a9a3a448cf20aa.JPG

SAM_0138.JPG.19609f56bbbae122262cf53bc34915da.JPG

Can understand that ! Servicing my SSS's they are going in next week. 

• Like 1