Need Hand guards after close call - Video

A branch hit my brake lever and locked up the front wheel almost causing me to hit a tree, What handguards would you guys recommend for a 2017 YZ450F?

Cycra probend

Don't leave home without them

Cycra probend
Don't leave home without them

Thanks. Do they come as a kit that includes everything I need to install? Mounts, Shields, etc.... if you have a link to a site that stocks them that would be great.
4 minutes ago, Rideharder said:

Thanks. Do they come as a kit that includes everything I need to install? Mounts, Shields, etc.... if you have a link to a site that stocks them that would be great.

You have options. LOTS of options....

https://cycraracing.com/products/handguards/

Cyra ProBend with CRM clamps are my favorite.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/25783/Cycra-Probend-CRM-Handguard-Racer-Pack-1-1-8"-Bars

https://cycraracing.com/cycra-ultra-probend-crm-complete-racer-pack-1-1-8-clamps-white-husky-blue/

Do youself a favor and ditch the expanding inserts in favor of threaded inserts

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/60729/BRP-Threaded-Bar-End-Insert-Kit

20170627_162901.jpg.89c01cb8dd653303bfc29b892deb94b6.jpg20160730_104823.jpg.28e1f3bd6479b08e36cd6f7c658f1234.jpg

Thanks

Ohhhh, now you're at risk for breaking your wrist... 

24 minutes ago, Monk said:

LOL, and I'll just keep hammering that point because I can.

26 minutes ago, Monk said:

Not very much more than otherwise.

I got my Cycras after stuffing the bars in the dirt and having the clutch lever mash my ring finger once too often.  An added benefit is that I actually was able to wear out a pair of grips before I tore the ends off of them.

34 minutes ago, grayracer513 said:

Not very much more than otherwise.

I got my Cycras after stuffing the bars in the dirt and having the clutch lever mash my ring finger once too often.  An added benefit is that I actually was able to wear out a pair of grips before I tore the ends off of them.

Smashed my finger once like this and OUCH it hurts I was rolling on the ground cussing for 5 minutes

Barkbuster are race proven, I run acerbis, the cycra are good. Just get the ones with the aluminum bar. Dont tighten the crap out of them, it will save them and your wrist. Kind of like a lever perch it should move a little. 

I have ran these for many years and went over the bars several times at speed and no wrist issues. I do not know any of my enduro buddies who have either. 

I smack my bar ends almost everytime I ride, which could be smashed fingers, I go over the bars maybe every couple of years, I will take the risk.

Acerbis X force, forget about those awful full wraps.

Edited by BoxcarWilly

+1 for Cycra probends. By far the best handgaurd I have used.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I’m going with half wraps because of the wrist breaking comments.

19 minutes ago, Rideharder said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I’m going with half wraps because of the wrist breaking comments.

That was some serious trolling there by Mog. The Cycras are almost like a Timex, though I have bent one or two beyond ticking...

Ive heard of the possiblility of breaking a wrist but never heard anyone actually doing so. Its such a minimal chance your more likely just to break your wrist going over the bars and landing on it. As for hand guards I personally use and like the cycra rebound, half wrap but also won't break as easy as other half wraps

3 hours ago, Rideharder said:

If you ride that terrain go with full wraps. Wrist breakage is rare, as is your hand going into the spokes of a wheel or your femur breaking because your braces are too strong. What is not rare is crushing the &%$#@! out of your hands with no hand guards or just wrap arounds if you hit a tree at speed.

Edited by LSHD

Yeah think of it this way. Levers cost money but healthcare is freeee.

Watch the Cycras in action here, vid starts at 2:34, just watch for a few seconds and bam! Was too far inside on the rut, front wheel pushed out to center of the rut and turned in. Would have done a serious job on my fingers sans full wrap guard.

Full wrap hand guard just suck. they're bulky, they make your bars wider than they need to be, I've had my wrist broken in a full wrap where I had my hands knocked off and as I went to grab the bars again I got bucked and hand my wrist slide in-between the guard and the bars. Would you prefer a broken finger, or a broken wrist? Open ended guards absorb impact too instead of deflecting it and bouncing you across the trail like the video above. 

Use open ended guards and stop hitting trees. There's a reason most pro riders have ditched full wraps.

Edited by BoxcarWilly