What "protective gear" is most important to you?

As the title says, I'd like to see what other people's opinion is on protective gear.  About 2 months ago, I took a low/mid-speed tumble and fell on my outstretched right hand (riding a '17 250xc with only 9.5 hours on it).  This subsequently fractured the scaphoid in my right wrist.  Had me on limited duty at work and unable to do much as I had to wear a removable exos cast whenever I wasn't in the shower.  This entire time, I really questioned whether or not riding was worthwhile for me.  I'm 27 and have been riding since I was 8, and this was the first injury I ever had that really put me out.  Now as I am about 3 weeks from hopefully being fully healed and released for full activity, I am contemplating whether I should get more gear, or honestly if I should even ride at all.

I currently wear a helmet (of course), roost guard, cheaper knee guards, and decent alpinestars boots.  I'm considering getting a serious wrist brace, real knee braces, and a neck brace.  It seems that it takes an injury for people to get serious about this stuff, and id like to get these other braces and guards to hopefully prevent further/future injury.

So what do you think is some of the more vital and important pieces of gear? 

• Like 1

Really nothing can completely keep you from getting injured.  You could have a accident or some traumatic thing happen at anytime, so with that said ,just go have fun. And wear all the protective gear you think you need, that's all you can do. I try to practice falling at least once every 8 rides, but I like it more when my buddies show me. Lol.

• Like 5

Your BRAIN! When that voice says "what the hell are you doing?" Listen to it and that will keep you out of a lot of trouble. When that fails it's everything and the kitchen sink!

• Like 7

Helmet, neck brace, boots. Id like some body armor but have never found any I can live with. I also wear knee and elbow protection. 

• Like 2

IMO, good quality: boots, helmet and knee braces are a must. A chest protector/roost guard, gloves and goggles are also important to have but, if necessary, some of the cheaper versions will suffice.

• Like 6

If you're scared to go back riding just give up, youll be to cautious and youll be distracted the whole time riding by worrying if your gonna hurt yourself and make stupid mistakes. Youll never enjoy it if you're worrying the whole time. Just my honest opinion, ive wrecked street and dirt and it shakes you for a min but i jump right back on. If you truly enjoy it youll get back on

• Like 3

I've more or less made the decision to keep at it, it just sucks when you're out of full duty work and can't wipe your @$$ efficiently because your dominant hand is injured, haha.

• Like 2

For me it’s always helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, padded boxer short things to protect your thighs and coxics, some mountain biking knee pads (they’re cheap and very comfortable), klim pants.

If it’s not above 25 degrees centigrade I will wear my Leatt 3df body armour which is incredibly comfortable but like all armour, can be unbearable if it gets too hot. Of course a jersey over the top.

I can’t say if wearing this kit has helped me or not but I have had a few slow crashes/falls in my time and come out unscathed so for me it’s worth it.

Don’t let an accident define your future. Get back on that horse and ride.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jamesw9404 said:

If it’s not above 25 degrees centigrade I will wear my Leatt 3df body armour which is incredibly comfortable but like all armour, can be unbearable if it gets too hot.

I'm glad to see someone finally admit it.  That's why, as I posted above, I haven't found any I can live with.

• Like 1

You'll get no sympathy from me bro, if you can't accept that it's part of the game you should just quit and not ever do anything dangerous. Guarantee you have some broad in your ear. :rolleyes:

I was sidelined for 6 months recently and could not think of anything other than getting back on my bike, there's no feeling like it. 

Different strokes I guess... :excuseme:

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

You'll get no sympathy from me bro, if you can't accept that it's part of the game you should just quit and not ever do anything dangerous. Guarantee you have some broad in your ear. :rolleyes:

I was sidelined for 6 months recently and could not think of anything other than getting back on my bike, there's no feeling like it. 

Different strokes different wives... lmao!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

The mental aspect can be very hard to overcome.  I've been riding since the early 70s and never thought much about getting hurt.  But, in the past few years after 2 serious broken bones 2 years in a row it took me a long time to get my confidence back.  I still have nowhere the speed I used to and feel tentative at times.  It can be tough, the mind is a funny thing.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

The mental aspect can be very hard to overcome.  I've been riding since the early 70s and never thought much about getting hurt.  But, in the past few years after 2 serious broken bones 2 years in a row it took me a long time to get my confidence back.  I still have nowhere the speed I used to and feel tentative at times.  It can be tough, the mind is a funny thing.

The last one did take some wind out of my sails for sure. I like to think it made me grow and become smarter as a rider.

I am still recovering and dealing with pain so it's hard to ignore the fear right now when I can feel the injury on the bike. Right now I'm just riding slower more technical trails and focusing on fundamentals. Still feel comfortable on the bike and speed is slowly coming back but the mental thing is for sure a challenge.   

• Like 1

I suppose for some people an injury may not affect their livelihood, as for me, any injury, even minor, keeps me from doing a job that I love to do, which is without question far more important than recreationally riding a dirt bike.  Don't get me wrong, I love riding, but when you have serious responsibilities at stake, and being hurt can affect the people around you, you really have to consider your options and weigh all your decisions.  I'm sure I'll stick with it, I just want to prevent as much as I can.

Edited by brackmant
  • Like 6

Probably in order of critical injury protection as follows:

1. Helmet
2. Goggles
3. Boots
4. Knee guards, and braces even better
5. Hand guards on the bike and Gloves on your hands
6. Elbow guards
7. Shoulder guards
8. Chest protector
9. Turtle shell (back and tailbone guard)

I wear all of it, all the time, every time. Fox Titan jacket makes it easy to cover 6-9.

• Like 3

Just now, LSHD said:

Probably in order of critical injury protection as follows:

1. Helmet
2. Goggles
3. Boots
4. Knee guards, and braces even better
5. Hand guards on the bike and Gloves on your hands
6. Elbow guards
7. Shoulder guards
8. Chest protector
9. Turtle shell (back and tailbone guard)

I wear all of it, all the time, every time. Fox Titan jacket makes it easy to cover 6-9.

You forgot neck brace. ;)

• Like 3

I think a neck brace will be my next purchase to go along with what I already have.  I've never jarred my neck too bad on anything, but i'd rather have it than be sorry.

• Like 3

Just now, LSHD said:

No. No I did not. :thumbsup:

And we will not go there again.  But I do have to say a couple months ago we went on a day long ride, I forgot my neck brace.  I felt totally naked.

• Like 2