2017 Reliability?

Im thinking about switiching it up from blue to green but am wondering about the reliability of the 2017 kx250f. Has anyone had big problems with it? How long do parts like piston/clutch/crank last? 

Yamaha is the most reliable performance/racing oriented four stroke motor produced so selections other than that will result in significantly less durability assuming one is racing it. I bought a 2016 KX250F with "50" hours on it expecting it to go easily double that before tear down required. I was wrong. Very wrong. :bonk:

If you are a casual rider, it doesn't matter.   However, if you are a gotta have peak performance rider - then unless you really like spending a lot of time tweaking, troubleshooting, and wrenching then you are best sticking to blue or red.

Edited by FaceDeAce

Im a casual mid-up C class rider

4 hours ago, shutax said:

Im a casual mid-up C class rider

Don't buy one that was used for practice and or backup bike that a racer had. Unless they can show you receipts for a new head valve seats cut valve guides etc etc. Also, if they have a big Chaw on their lips and they're spitting tobacco all over the back of their truck and or the pavement of some Dive restaurant that they agreed to meet you at for the sale, don't listen to your head that tells you that everything is going to be just okay. It won't.

Don't buy one that was used for practice and or backup bike that a racer had. Unless they can show you receipts for a new head valve seats cut valve guides etc etc. Also, if they have a big Chaw on their lips and they're spitting tobacco all over the back of their truck and or the pavement of some Dive restaurant that they agreed to meet you at for the sale, don't listen to your head that tells you that everything is going to be just okay. It won't.

This would be buying brand new, I can get one for $5600 at a shop near me and id be trading in my 2014 yz250f for it.
2 hours ago, shutax said:

This would be buying brand new, I can get one for $5600 at a shop near me and id be trading in my 2014 yz250f for it.

That changes everything but the KX will need more valve attention than your yz. However, your yz may have a whole bunch of hours on it? Are you trading bike plus paying 5600? That seems expensive to me.

If you clean/detail your bike very thoroughly and it is in good shape you will probably be at least $1000 better off by selling it yourself. If in avg or better mechanical shape and very nice cosmetically it should sell well. Be patient, there will always be leftover Kaws and Suzys out there. Personally I think rebuilding your Yammie is a better option if it is still solid.

I just switched from a 15 kx250f to a 17 yz450f.

I had great luck with my kx. Sold it with 52 hours on it. Valves never moved and bike stayed strong the whole time. Even had to stock clutch in it when I sold it.

7 minutes ago, dubstatic said:

I just switched from a 15 kx250f to a 17 yz450f.

I had great luck with my kx. Sold it with 52 hours on it. Valves never moved and bike stayed strong the whole time. Even had to stock clutch in it when I sold it.

Lol, it had 52hrs on it... I would hope you didn' have any problems... 

47 minutes ago, Monk said:

Lol, it had 52hrs on it... I would hope you didn' have any problems... 

valve adjustments and clutch replacements don't really fall under the "problems" category. That's just normal maintenance.  Ive seen bikes blow up with low hours. I was just explaining my experience with the bike, people complain about valve adjustments and clutches on the kx. I did ride the bike somewhat hard. The few tracks I ride, have long straights so hitting rev limiter was common.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, shrubitup said:

Yamaha is the most reliable performance/racing oriented four stroke motor produced so selections other than that will result in significantly less durability assuming one is racing it. I bought a 2016 KX250F with "50" hours on it expecting it to go easily double that before tear down required. I was wrong. Very wrong. :bonk:

unless you personally know the person who owned it and how they maintain bikes,  then buying a 50 hour 250f is a real gamble

That changes everything but the KX will need more valve attention than your yz. However, your yz may have a whole bunch of hours on it? Are you trading bike plus paying 5600? That seems expensive to me.

No thats the inital price before I trade it.
If you clean/detail your bike very thoroughly and it is in good shape you will probably be at least $1000 better off by selling it yourself. If in avg or better mechanical shape and very nice cosmetically it should sell well. Be patient, there will always be leftover Kaws and Suzys out there. Personally I think rebuilding your Yammie is a better option if it is still solid.

The yz is getting close to 100 hours and will need a piston and clutch at least if im going to ride it another year. Im asking 3200 for it so if they offered me 2500 I would trade it.
valve adjustments and clutch replacements don't really fall under the "problems" category. That's just normal maintenance.  Ive seen bikes blow up with low hours. I was just explaining my experience with the bike, people complain about valve adjustments and clutches on the kx. I did ride the bike somewhat hard. The few tracks I ride, have long straights so hitting rev limiter was common.

Once the valves tighten and you have to adjust more then once, I would consider that to fall under the problem category.

I bought a used 12 a couple years ago and easily put 60+ hours on it before I did anything more than a clutch and valve adjustments (2, and only once was it more than one intake valve) I didn't have the financial means to buy new so I took a gamble and it served me well. But after doing the top end I maybe got 5 hours on it before the crank started to fail. More power, more compression, it was inevitable. I sold it with 20 hours after going through the bottom end and having valve seats cut and the valves hadn't moved once. I'm not heavy on the clutch but the EBC clutch/springs I put in served it well too.

I just got a new 17 about 2 months ago and I can't speak for reliability long term but overall I absolutely love the bike! I thought about getting a yzf because of their reputation for reliability, but hearing too many complaints about turn in made me go with the Kawi again. 

I'm probably a comparable skill level to you, riding against the young kids I'm a front runner d/mid c class rider, in my +30 classes I'm upper c to b depending on the club. Suspension is pretty good for my weight right out the gate (135), power is great, bike is very predictable. Never once have I had an issue with head shake on the Kawi (maybe I'm lucky?), and given they seem to have a solid reputation in straight line stability it was another reason I decided to go green again.  For $5600 the Kawi is a no brainer imo! 

I have yet to ride anything other than a Honda thumper, so my experience is definitely a bit objective to what I'm familiar with, but I feel like all the reviews for the 17 are spot on. It's not exactly a front runner in shootouts but it does everything very well. The only real complaint I've seen about them out of the box is the clutch being weak, namely the springs. Again since I'm not hard on the clutch I'm just running it as is until it's time to upgrade. 

Edited by Dolamite

Im 215 so I am way too big for a 250f but I absolutely love my 2017 KX250F. I abuse the hell out of the clutch but do keep it off the rev limiter. So far only issue I had was a fork seal- twice. Finally had my suspension guy replace them with SKF and I haven't had any issues since.  I run VP fuel and have a Ti 4.1 muffler on it...LOVE it!

1 hour ago, nascarnate326 said:

Im 215 so I am way too big for a 250f but I absolutely love my 2017 KX250F. I abuse the hell out of the clutch but do keep it off the rev limiter. So far only issue I had was a fork seal- twice. Finally had my suspension guy replace them with SKF and I haven't had any issues since.  I run VP fuel and have a Ti 4.1 muffler on it...LOVE it!

How many hours on original piston and valve train?

On 11/5/2017 at 0:28 PM, shrubitup said:

Don't let shitty maintenance reflect on the quality of the bike.  I am a Honda/Yamaha fan but we have been running Kawi 250f's for a few years mostly due to what you pay for them new..  I just traded in a 2015 rode mostly by a 15 year old B rider who definitely gives bikes a good workout..We had almost no issues at all at around 80hrs when traded in on a new '17.  Clutch at 7 hours as he was riding indoors and I didn't put heavier springs in.  Next clutch went 60 and was still good when I replaced.  I do top ends/timing chain every 30 hours or so for preventative maintenance as it's cheap and easy.  All pistons looked great when pulled I did adjust valves with last one just so they were perfect but technically didn't need it.  Head and all looked great.  Next owner should have no issues at all if they take care of bike.

The 2017 is so much better riding wise it wasn't even close.  My favorite bike I have ever owned and I have had a few over the years. Ended up buying another for myself after riding son's.  At $4995 they are tough to beat..................

1 hour ago, Tracktor said:

Don't let shitty maintenance reflect on the quality of the bike.  I am a Honda/Yamaha fan but we have been running Kawi 250f's for a few years mostly due to what you pay for them new..  I just traded in a 2015 rode mostly by a 15 year old B rider who definitely gives bikes a good workout..We had almost no issues at all at around 80hrs when traded in on a new '17.  Clutch at 7 hours as he was riding indoors and I didn't put heavier springs in.  Next clutch went 60 and was still good when I replaced.  I do top ends/timing chain every 30 hours or so for preventative maintenance as it's cheap and easy.  All pistons looked great when pulled I did adjust valves with last one just so they were perfect but technically didn't need it.  Head and all looked great.  Next owner should have no issues at all if they take care of bike.

The 2017 is so much better riding wise it wasn't even close.  My favorite bike I have ever owned and I have had a few over the years. Ended up buying another for myself after riding son's.  At $4995 they are tough to beat..................

You'd be money and time ahead on a Yamaha for $1K more.