Which Maxima gear oil weight?

I'm looking to try Maxima gear oil for my next transmission oil change.  It comes in 75, 80 and 85 weights.  Which one is best for my 390RR?

57 minutes ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

I'm looking to try Maxima gear oil for my next transmission oil change.  It comes in 75, 80 and 85 weights.  Which one is best for my 390RR?

What does your owners manual suggest?

2 hours ago, RevyRoamer said:

What does your owners manual suggest?

Owners manual specifies Motul Trans Expert 10w40, which is what I've used since owning the bike, but now I want to try something new.

Can I run this Maxima engine oil in both the engine and tranny? 

P1030079.JPG

5 minutes ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

Owners manual specifies Motul Trans Expert 10w40, which is what I've used since owning the bike, but now I want to try something new.

Can I run this Maxima engine oil in both the engine and tranny? 

P1030079.JPG

 

Yes 

6 minutes ago, MartyMOOSE said:

 

Yes 

What he said...yes you can.

 

Remember that the viscosity of motor oil and gear oil is not the same.

So do not assume say that a 75 gear oil would be as thick as a 75 engine oil. 

The way the two are calculated is very different.

 

Edited by RevyRoamer

Thanks guys.

I've had no issues at all with the Motul Trans Expert oil, but earlier I went to order some from Rocky Mountain ATV but they are either out of it or no longer carry it as I don't see it on their website.  I happen to have a couple of quarts of the Maxima engine oil I posted above so I might as well use that since I have it. 

4 hours ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

Thanks guys.

I've had no issues at all with the Motul Trans Expert oil, but earlier I went to order some from Rocky Mountain ATV but they are either out of it or no longer carry it as I don't see it on their website.  I happen to have a couple of quarts of the Maxima engine oil I posted above so I might as well use that since I have it. 

What the heck? Buying oil online? Good lord I can get any brand I want locally. I find Motul at almost every single motorcycle shop that sells dirt bikes.

 

BTW, the Maxima oil you have will be more than sufficient for both sides of your motor. That is some of the highest quality oil around. Being triple ester, it will handle high heat as well. 

I use Maxima MTL 80wt in my 250RR.  I've used it for years in many bikes with good results.

Just for a laugh and to add it to the mix I've gone back to ATF Dextron 3 in my 2018 350rr :)

I'm tired of paying $$$ for the Motul, I am glad to read about these, I may give em a try, thanks.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:35 PM, MartyMOOSE said:

Just for a laugh and to add it to the mix I've gone back to ATF Dextron 3 in my 2018 350rr :)

Does this help you find neutral? Any long term experience you can share? 

4 minutes ago, mortimersmythe said:

I'm tired of paying $$$ for the Motul, I am glad to read about these, I may give em a try, thanks.

Does this help you find neutral? Any long term experience you can share? 

There's at least a decades worth of posts here from folks using all sorts of oil for their transmission fluid in a two stroke or a CRF-R or CRF-X four stroke with separate transmissions. People using ATF, 10W40 car oil, 15W40 diesel oil, hydraulic fluid, tractor fluid, etc. Just don't use car oil that's energy conserving which is typically found in 10W30, 5W30, 5W20, 0W20, etc. Been using these for eleven years without ever a problem.

As you can see the 40 weight that beta suggests is about a 90 weight gear oil in viscosity. The 85 or 80 wouldn't hurt. I use an 80 Amsoil dirt bike trans oil and it works good.

visc.jpg.10ffdb95adbafec7d756a1ab56947698.jpg

20 hours ago, shrubitup said:

There's at least a decades worth of posts here from folks using all sorts of oil for their transmission fluid in a two stroke or a CRF-R or CRF-X four stroke with separate transmissions. People using ATF, 10W40 car oil, 15W40 diesel oil, hydraulic fluid, tractor fluid, etc. Just don't use car oil that's energy conserving which is typically found in 10W30, 5W30, 5W20, 0W20, etc. Been using these for eleven years without ever a problem.

You say don't do something and then say you have done it for eleven years. ??? Make up your mind.

1 minute ago, YHGEORGE said:

You say don't do something and then say you have done it for eleven years. ??? Make up your mind.

Not all car aka automotive oil is energy conserving. It's clear which is and isn't. Check your API donut on the bottle of lubricant you're considering.

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Not all car aka automotive oil is energy conserving. It's clear which is and isn't. Check your API donut on the bottle of lubricant you're considering.

You missed the point, your last two sentences are what I questioned. They are contradictory.

ATF type F. I wouldn’t be wasting $20 a litre Maxima Extra in my tranny. Maybe Rotella but not Maxima. 

I like the Maxima Extra 50 weight in the summer if your 390 spends time in the upper rev range. It’s great oil and I used to get a deep case discount that brought it down $10l. I don’t anymore and honestly just run Rotella in my 250F.

4 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

You missed the point, your last two sentences are what I questioned. They are contradictory.

Move last sentence to appear after etc and then the warning sentence for conclusion. Poorly arranged grammatically and now I can't fix it either. 

On 11/5/2017 at 2:40 PM, RevyRoamer said:

What he said...yes you can.

 

Remember that the viscosity of motor oil and gear oil is not the same.

So do not assume say that a 75 gear oil would be as thick as a 75 engine oil. 

The way the two are calculated is very different.

 

This is correct.

Viscosity and Shear strength do not have a correlation.

Gear oil does not go through the massive temp swings like motor oil, so it does not have a 'cold visosity/ relative shear protection' (EG; 5w/40) rating like motor oil.

You can use any oil you want in the transmission as long as it is MB rated, and no higher in viscosity than 40w motor oil. 

Which gear oils are the same as 40w motor oil?  No one will tell you!

I use Honda HP Red Trans oil for the best shifting ever.....for about 3 rides....

 

 

Rotella.

This is correct.
Viscosity and Shear strength do not have a correlation.
Gear oil does not go through the massive temp swings like motor oil, so it does not have a 'cold visosity/ relative shear protection' (EG; 5w/40) rating like motor oil.
You can use any oil you want in the transmission as long as it is MB rated, and no higher in viscosity than 40w motor oil. 
Which gear oils are the same as 40w motor oil?  No one will tell you!
I use Honda HP Red Trans oil for the best shifting ever.....for about 3 rides....
 
 

Except I posted a chart above that tells you exactly what gear oil is the same as a 40wt motor oil. A 85 or 90 fall in that range.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now