Seized kickstart?

Hey guys, so my 1982 XL250R has recently come into a problem.  A few weeks ago, I tried to start it and it would not start, and then the kickstarter got stuck and would not move that much when I would try to start the bike.  I tried to push start it, but when I let go of the clutch the rear wheel just skidded.  I originally thought that the engine was seized, but then I pulled the crankshaft bolt access cover off and I was very easily able to rotate the crankshaft without much effort.  I am a full time student and have not had much time at all to try to dig into it yet, so what do you more experienced guys think of this?  Bad starter gears or worse?  

Our recommendation is...
Buy a different motorcycle.
Your considering fixing a 35 year old Honda? 
It sounds like it might be your daily transportation?
If it's a hobby bike then by all means look into fixing it.
If you need transportation... You can buy a good motorcycle for about $1000.
It'll cost you a few hundred in parts along to fix that Honda.
Our 2 ¢

19 hours ago, yeti_runner said:

I tried to push start it, but when I let go of the clutch the rear wheel just skidded.

When you push or pull start it, you need to be in 3rd gear when you dump the clutch. 1st is too low.

Are you trying to start it in gear with the kickstarter?

Edited by Trailryder42
22 hours ago, arthur6 said:

Our recommendation is...
Buy a different motorcycle.
Your considering fixing a 35 year old Honda? 
It sounds like it might be your daily transportation?
If it's a hobby bike then by all means look into fixing it.
If you need transportation... You can buy a good motorcycle for about $1000.
It'll cost you a few hundred in parts along to fix that Honda.
Our 2 ¢

It is not my daily transportation.  It's just one of my hobbies, but it kills me not being able to ride.  I would love to buy a motorcycle around that price that is reliable, I just don't have the money to do so.

3 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

When you push or pull start it, you need to be in 3rd gear when you dump the clutch. 1st is too low.

Are you trying to start it in gear with the kickstarter?

When I tried push starting it, I was in 1st gear.  I will try it in a higher gear when I get a chance.  How fast should I get it going before dropping the clutch?

When trying to start it with the kickstarter, I made sure that it was in neutral and I had the clutch pulled in to be double sure.

When I tried push starting it, I was in 1st gear.  I will try it in a higher gear when I get a chance.  How fast should I get it going before dropping the clutch?

When trying to start it with the kickstarter, I made sure that it was in neutral and I had the clutch pulled in to be double sure.

I’ve had my dad tow start me with his truck after we swamped my xr400. I️ dropped the clutch when we were doing about 5-10mph. It doesn’t take much speed. A good down hill will work. Don’t get rid of that bike. It’s probably nothing that you can figure out or find someone who can. That’s a great bike.
3 hours ago, yeti_runner said:

If you'll learn to use the manual decomp for bump starting, the start will be smoother than dumping the clutch alone.